Options

Well done Eastenders

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
Forum Member
✭✭
I know that there are plenty of threads on tonight's episode but I felt the need to say well done to EE for highlighting such a sensitive subject and airing the senses as close to the heart as possible.

I don't think they'll be a viewer out there who couldn't have felt Lindas horror and trauma.

No means no and I think this will highlight to everyone that a woman doesn't have to scream, yell, kick and fight for it to mean that the sex was not wanted. Some "people" in this world get confused about "consented sex" and this highlights that you need to be 100% sure that the act you are about to do is wanted from the other party.

Comments

• Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    EastEnders have knocked Tramp out the park with this one, as they did with Carol.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they've done very well highlighting such a sensitive subject
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great heart stopping episode, but if Deans gets away unpunished it'll annoy me
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes well done! They should be very proud of themselves! They did it so well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for saying it was pre watershed the bbc have pitched this perfectly.

a harrowing storyline, written and performed brilliantly. continuing drama at it's very best.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so peeved off with the disgraceful over exposure of the Carterzzzzzzzzzz I had to turn over after 10 mins. I loath them all more and more with every episode they are ruining
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    I'm so peeved off with the disgraceful over exposure of the Carterzzzzzzzzzz I had to turn over after 10 mins. I loath them all more and more with every episode they are ruining

But...but...but...Danny Dyer! Impossible to hate him.
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But...but...but...Danny Dyer! Impossible to hate him.

Danny Dire is a straight to dvd tenth rate british movie actor.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    I agree. It's what EastEnders does best and kellie Bright was nothing short of outstanding.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I know that there are plenty of threads on tonight's episode but I felt the need to say well done to EE for highlighting such a sensitive subject and airing the senses as close to the heart as possible.

I don't think they'll be a viewer out there who couldn't have felt Lindas horror and trauma.

No means no and I think this will highlight to everyone that a woman doesn't have to scream, yell, kick and fight for it to mean that the sex was not wanted. Some "people" in this world get confused about "consented sex" and this highlights that you need to be 100% sure that the act you are about to do is wanted from the other party
    So right! I thought the same thing. People freeze with fear or try their best to come out of it alive. Not all women scream etc. Very well said Cherry Rose.
    I love the Carters and think this episode was very well done. No one makes you watch something you don't like Spunger.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Dire is a straight to dvd tenth rate british movie actor.

You're in a soap forum, slagging off a movie actor? Lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote:
    No means no and I think this will highlight to everyone that a woman doesn't have to scream, yell, kick and fight for it to mean that the sex was not wanted. Some "people" in this world get confused about "consented sex" and this highlights that you need to be 100% sure that the act you are about to do is wanted from the other party.

But a woman has to clearly communicate her consent, otherwise the male might believe in good faith that she is consenting and then find himself accused of rape. Consent might not be oral but by body language.
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Great episode and great performance by Kellie Bright. So devastated for Linda.

I know it's true to life if Dean does not get punished, but it will infuriate me. >:(
  • Options
    CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is soap. Anything can happen. They don't have to go by the guidelines of the law.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »

BIB; sorry if this sounds pedantic but rape isn't sex. Mechanically it might involve the same motions but they're not the same act at all.

You make a good point though, it's important to highlight that not screaming and fighting doesn't mean the person isn't terrified.
  • Options
    endersandoaksendersandoaks Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    It was an amazing episode. I was absolutely gripped. Kellie was amazing. Can't wait to see how she handles the rest of the story. One down side to this story is I did like Dean and wished it wasn't him that raped her.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the episode and love both Dean and Linda, and I think this storyline is just going to get better and better, by the way it'll get more and more twisted, and it won't go down the usual route of reveal, row, prison, trial, leave soap.
    The only thing I would say is that I thought the scene was a bit too tame, even though it was pre watershed, I still think they could have shown more.
    I remember Kathys rape scene and that was a lot more violent and gripping to watch.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But a woman has to clearly communicate her consent, otherwise the male might believe in good faith that she is consenting and then find himself accused of rape. Consent might not be oral but by body language.

She did say no but he didn't listen. Okay she didn't scream or fight which may confuse someone like Dean who is delusional but we all know she clearly said no.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode and love both Dean and Linda, and I think this storyline is just going to get better and better, by the way it'll get more and more twisted, and it won't go down the usual route of reveal, row, prison, trial, leave soap.
    The only thing I would say is that I thought the scene was a bit too tame, even though it was pre watershed, I still think they could have shown more.
    I remember Kathys rape scene and that was a lot more violent and gripping to watch.

I'm glad they didn't use violence in this case as it makes it different. With Little Mo, Kathy, Stacey etc the man violently grabbed hold of her and it cut away and it was easy to hate Trevor, Archie etc because it wasn't just the rape - they were abhorrent characters anyway. It's probably the lack of violence in the Dean/Linda case which makes me feel nothing rather than hatred towards Dean but it does tie in better with Dean being delusional and dangerous. I think they did it just right though. The episode was so powerful - it may have been less so had Dean been violent and if they hadn't shown Linda showering, cleaning the floor etc.
  • Options
    Blowpop27Blowpop27 Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Filthy Mick Carter! Walked through the door and went straight to bed. Didn't get a wash, didn't clean his teeth...what an example to set to a nation:D

Also...close your bedroom door when you go to bed!!
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Carters are great, I expect that there are alot of them, and do seem over used at times, HOWEVER they are used really well the vast majority of the time, and adding a large new family, is a really quick way for a new producer to turn a show around, which they have done really well here.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you, how awful.
    That's the saddest thing about this storyline, reading so many posters' stories of it happening to them too. It's shocking how common such a vile crime is.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,312
    Forum Member
    I see it did well in the clash last night, lets hope it continues. Hopefully ITV will realise these clashes arenot productive