Options

Contracts Awarded And Tech Details Available For Connected Freeview Service

Comments

• Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they haven't got a name for it yet, what about U-view, Weview or deja-view.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have just gone with Freetime! A platform that's already built, has a backwards EPG that contains the main PSB catch-ups and and works with both freesat and freeview.

Bloody stupid to go through all the hassle of creating yet another service!
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »

I don't think so, BT and TalkTalk's dominance in the ISP market mean YouView is here to stay. Although I do wonder if one day, the two ISP's will go their own ways to develop their TV platforms separately?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    I don't think so, BT and TalkTalk's dominance in the ISP market mean YouView is here to stay.
    But development of the platform is so sluggish, not being able to receive the Freeview IP-delivered channels is ridiculous, as is the lack of access to the NowTV entertainment package. There have been a few new features lately, e.g. Quest catch-up and Netflix, so there is some hope.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But development of the platform is so sluggish, not being able to receive the Freeview IP-delivered channels is ridiculous, as is the lack of access to the NowTV entertainment package. There have been a few new features lately, e.g. Quest catch-up and Netflix, so there is some hope.

With BT and TalkTalk in the driving seat, the platform development is likely to focus more on BT and TalkTalk pay services rather than anything else.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I recall there was something about the PSB's all being in favour of using the Freetime service for Freeview, but Arqiva moaned about it as they weren't a main shareholder.

Now Arqiva get the contract to invent a brand new and unnecessary catch-up platform that will take more years to implement.

How very convenient for them.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unicast is about to be incorporated into Youview enabling Now TV live streaming. The Connect TV channels don't pay anything to the Youview platform so perhaps it's understandable that Youview hasn't expended any money to support this alternative competing platform for IPTV.

As for 'new features' I'm at a loss to think of anything seriously lacking from the present Youview offering. The decision to add players like quest is a commercial one, not one of software development.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 of the streamed channels provided by Arqiva's Connect TV are now available on most YouView boxes. Slightly different workaround to get them on YouView, but a start. Enabling Now TV's entertainment pass on YouView would be interesting, as would allow Sky to bypass BT, who have not agreed terms over carriage of these channels (but then BT sidestepped Sky on digital sat regarding access to BT Sport).
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Now Arqiva get the contract to invent a brand new and unnecessary catch-up platform that will take more years to implement.

How very convenient for them.

NO .... The platform is being done as is the rest of the uk DTT system by DTG... Using international standards .... With a uk profile But the aiming point is Hbbtv 2.0 plus ,,,

Arqiva will be providing the metadata system ... A bit like Atos do this metadata/EPG for the DTT and Freesat platform At the moment...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 of the streamed channels provided by Arqiva's Connect TV are now available on most YouView boxes. Slightly different workaround to get them on YouView, but a start.
    Amazing, so they are. Painfully slow to load on Youview, as with most things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amazing, so they are. Painfully slow to load on Youview, as with most things.

Interestingly a few weeks ago, Motors and Vintage started to take 1 minute to load on my Freeview HD device, whereas it was speedier before. Am wondering if the MHEG behind these channels has changed ahead of YouView support (the channels you can't get on YouView still launch faster).

The YouView version uses a workaround, it's not the MHEG-IC stream Freeview HD devices use - MHEG-IC support would have given you access to all of Arqiva's Connect TV services otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly a few weeks ago, Motors and Vintage started to take 1 minute to load on my Freeview HD device, whereas it was speedier before. Am wondering if the MHEG behind these channels has changed ahead of YouView support (the channels you can't get on YouView still launch faster).
    I've just tried them on my Sony TV and they're no slower than they were and no slower than the other IP delivered channels.