Options

Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumping back 10 years for no adequately explained reason - stumbled on this clip of audience dancing... or more.. vision mixer having a ummm - singular idea through this audience-dancing clip to Archies Sugar Sugar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=549B76uehxo

Was the Vision Mixer asking this specific cameraman to get a shot of "fur and early morning dew" as did Sgt Joker's OC in the 2nd haf of Full Metal jacket?
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    The video's on the December 20th edition Ursula which is Yewtree'd but here's the link: You get The Greedies (A cut down Thin Lizzy/Sex Pistols collaboration) only performance! :):) I love it! :D

http://www.4shared.com/video/wHgU8m1aba/TOTP_201279.html

'Please Don't Go' pops up again in early 1980 to Legs & Co. :)

Thanks - Legs & Co will have to do then! I knew it was out sometime around now! :) ( I mean now in 1979 terms!! :D)
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Jumping back 10 years for no adequately explained reason - stumbled on this clip of audience dancing... or more.. vision mixer having a ummm - singular idea through this audience-dancing clip to Archies Sugar Sugar...

Was the Vision Mixer asking this specific cameraman to get a shot of "fur and early morning dew" as did Sgt Joker's OC in the 2nd haf of Full Metal jacket?

Maybe Jimmy Saville was standing in as cameraman. ;-)

It's amazing how risqué this was for a programme broadcast at half 7 in 1969. You can imagine old ladies tuning in and being utterly disgraced. It's funny how these days we have almost gone backwards in terms of what you can get away with. I think even by 1979 this would have been a step too far for half 7 in the evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Oh god, Sam Smith... It seems all you have to do to be popular these days is shriek "I've got Money On My Mind" in an irritaingly high pitched voice...

Any idea why he is so popular? :confused: His voice irritates me beyond belief. He sounds like he's singing with a blocked up nose.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »

I've seen that clip before- from what I've read, I'm pretty sure it wasn't ever broadcast, it's just a piece of raw footage that managed to survive (I believe it's from one of the tapes of footage that Bob Pratt saved and hid under the floorboards). Doesn't explain what the cameraman's thinking though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    While I agree with every single word of your post Tele addict, it also makes me so MAD! >:(

DON'T WATCH IT THEN, it only encourages them to keep going with it. No viewers, no show. :)

Not my choice I'm afraid, I'm kind of forced to sit and watch it with gritted teeth. Unfortunately, they get so many viewers that no chance of them cancelling it. In fact, there's another series planned for next year even after the drop in figures this year! :o
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Jimmy Saville was standing in as cameraman. ;-)

It's amazing how risqué this was for a programme broadcast at half 7 in 1969. You can imagine old ladies tuning in and being utterly disgraced. It's funny how these days we have almost gone backwards in terms of what you can get away with. I think even by 1979 this would have been a step too far for half 7 in the evening.
    Then again, there were quite a few low-angle shots on an early Legs and Co clip where they were dancing on podiums...
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    What's this X Factor thing somebody mentioned once? :D

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    After watching last week's ep on catch up, was that guitarist with The Beat who seemed to have a bee in his troosers the same person who was in the Fine Young Cannibals? (I know I could look it up very easily but I wanted to join in the discussion with real people....).
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    After watching last week's ep on catch up, was that guitarist with The Beat who seemed to have a bee in his troosers the same person who was in the Fine Young Cannibals? (I know I could look it up very easily but I wanted to join in the discussion with real people....).

Some members of The Beat did go on to form Fine Young Cannibals.
  • Options
    Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://youtu.be/mTiYKPVaRvU

Anyone know at all what this song may be?
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On the other hand the performances of certain female artists and their dancers are far more risqué today than in the 70s.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some members of The Beat did go on to form Fine Young Cannibals.

Andy Cox and David Steele –*the same two behind 1988's 'Tired Of Getting Pushed Around', credited to Two Men, A Drum Machine And A Trumpet …

Neither seem to have been involved in The Beat's recent reunion, though …
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    I've seen that clip before- from what I've read, I'm pretty sure it wasn't ever broadcast, it's just a piece of raw footage that managed to survive (I believe it's from one of the tapes of footage that Bob Pratt saved and hid under the floorboards). Doesn't explain what the cameraman's thinking though!

I wonder if that shot inspired The Sun to start page 3 off? :o:blush: After all - I think it began the year after (1970)!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand the performances of certain female artists and their dancers are far more risqué today than in the 70s.

True. I think artists like Nicki Minaj and Rhinna have set women's lib back 20 years!

It's strange how dance troupes like pans people and legs and co are now considered too sexist for modern television, yet artists like Lady Gaga and Rhianna are allowed to prance around half naked on the X Factor!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True. I think artists like Nicki Minaj and Rhinna have set women's lib back 20 years!

It's strange how dance troupes like pans people and legs and co are now considered too sexist for modern television, yet artists like Lady Gaga and Rhianna are allowed to prance around half naked on the X Factor!

Not only that but frequently appearing to simulate sex in their routine, whether it be on video or stage. There was an amusing story a couple of years ago when Rihanna was filming a video in some farmer's field and he came over and demanded they leave because she was taking her clothes off and behaving sexually and he was having none of it on his property. To be honest I don't think they know the true meaning of allure, which can easily be done fully clothed. Just have to say Kate Bush for one among many.

I see that the estate of Jimmy Savile has now been okayed for the picking over of compensation. I find that very disturbing. He was never charged, never mind convicted of a single thing yet suddenly his estate is liable to pay out to maybe 200 individuals. Why should a wad of cash suddenly be the answer anyway? It will all suddenly feel much better on a payout will it? Who can tell who is genuine or not amongst all these people. From what I can tell absolutely nothing has been proven beyond reasonable doubt and there has been no attempt at a vigorous defence, all the essence of a rule of law in this country that seems to have been brushed aside.
  • Options
    ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The third single from the McCartney II album was the excellent 'Temporary Secretary'. For some bizarre reason it was released as both a 12" only single and in a limited pressing of 15,000 copies. Consequently it failed to reach the top 75 - it was reported by Alan Jones in Record Mirror at the time that its chart run in its first two weeks was 76-121.

I can remember 'Double Fantasy' struggling in the charts prior to the death of John Lennon. It did look like it was going to fall off the charts very quickly and had John Lennon not died I imagine that record shops would have been left with a lot of unsold stock. Of course it is possible that the release of 'Woman' (which I assume was always planned as the next single) may have brought the album back into / up the charts. Two years later another massive selling album got off to a less than stellar start before suddenly bursting into life. The album? 'Thriller'. This time it wasn't a death that kickstarted its success but rather the release of 'Billie Jean'. The first three months of the chart run for 'Thriller':

Chart entry: 11/12/83

29-15-19-19-36-31-30-19-13-11-5-2-1

It then stayed inside the top 5 for the next 4 months!

Re: the fastest / slowest hat-trick stat. I can remember the Guinness Book Of Hit Singles mentioning this but I would go for the fastest as 'Imagine' fell off the chart (for 5 years!) between its initial chart entry and it reaching the top. And then there's the intriguing possibility that 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)' could also have been a number 1 had a chart been compiled between the Christmas and New Year in 1980. Instead the chart for that week was "frozen" from the week before and the single remained at number 4 before climbing to number 2 in the first chart of 1981.

Trivia: the first single to reach number 1 that was also available to buy as a cassette single was 'Woman' by John Lennon.

That cannot be right - it was released in 1982 surely. :confused:
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think Legs and Co and Pan's People disappeared because they were seen as sexist. They were made redundant by the rise of the pop video and they just came to be seen as cheap and naff. Arlene Phillips had success with Hot Gossip because they were seen as raunchier and so less naff but before long even they were seen as a throw back to the past. Certainly pop videos that followed were much more sexual than Pan's People etc ever were (Madonna ca. 'Justify My Love, Frankie's 'Relax', George Michael's 'I Want Your Sex' etc).
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    That cannot be right - it was released in 1982 surely. :confused:
    Well spotted! Yup, it should be 11/12/82 and not 11/12/83.

The chart run of the album was amazing. In 1983, once the album had reached number 1 and had then fallen from the top, it never fell very far - for the rest of 1983, apart from two weeks, it remained in the top 10. In fact it climbed back to number 1 in January 1984 and it was mid 1984 before it once again fell out of the top 10. In total the album spent 76 weeks (35 of which were consecutive) inside the top 10 in the period February 1983 to June 1984 and a further 5 weeks in the top 10 in 2009.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest I don't think they know the true meaning of allure, which can easily be done fully clothed. Just have to say Kate Bush for one among many.

Yes - however the Babooshka video was quite risqué!! Probably the nearest thing Kate did to being sexually overt! - But I agree - nothing on the scale of some of today's trashy output!! :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I see that the estate of Jimmy Savile has now been okayed for the picking over of compensation. I find that very disturbing. He was never charged, never mind convicted of a single thing yet suddenly his estate is liable to pay out to maybe 200 individuals. Why should a wad of cash suddenly be the answer anyway? It will all suddenly feel much better on a payout will it? Who can tell who is genuine or not amongst all these people. From what I can tell absolutely nothing has been proven beyond reasonable doubt and there has been no attempt at a vigorous defence, all the essence of a rule of law in this country that seems to have been brushed aside.

Very true words Rich!

It seems to be the in thing for the World & His wife to jump on the Savile band waggon at the moment!! And although I'm sure many of the cases are genuine - I just wonder how many of the other 200 victims would still come forward if they knew there was no money in the pot!! :(
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Yes - however the Babooshka video was quite risqué!! Probably the nearest thing Kate did to being sexually overt! - But I agree - nothing on the scale of some of today's trashy output!! :blush:

I know what you're saying, but Kate's outfit for the chorus sections of that video did have a point - the song is about a wife testing her husband's loyalty by pretending to be a younger, sexier woman. So however risqué her outfit might have appeared, it was there for a reason … plus we all know full well that there's no way Kate would have been forced into wearing it - she did whatever the hell she wanted (and still does).

I'd argue that there was a much greater sense of empowerment for women back then - exemplified by Bush, Debbie Harry, Siouxsie Sioux, Poly Styrene - than there is now. And, unfortunately, the more interesting female artists now (Janelle Monae, Goldfrapp) are sidelined in favour of compliant conveyor belt record company creations like the Saturdays …
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    That lost footage of the Archies, whats more disturbing is the guy in a suit dancing, very stuffy for young rebels at the time - as comical as the 1970 England World Cup footballers doing Back Home in full evening dinner suits yet surrounded by hippies. Maybe he was one of them - he did look a bit like a young SuperMac
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I know what you're saying, but Kate's outfit for the chorus sections of that video did have a point - the song is about a wife testing her husband's loyalty by pretending to be a younger, sexier woman. So however risqué her outfit might have appeared, it was there for a reason … plus we all know full well that there's no way Kate would have been forced into wearing it - she did whatever the hell she wanted (and still does).

Yes - that's what I have always liked about Kate Bush - she has always done her own thing - whether it is a big hit or not! For a woman so young she had a lot of say over her work.
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

Yeah, remember when Rolf Harris died a couple of years ago and those allegations against him came to light? He was never charged and despite stong evidence pointing in the direction of abuse taking place, nothing was proven because you can't take a dead man to court. That those who claimed to have been sexually abused by him, when no-one else was around to see or willing to listen at the time, recieved some financial compensation from his estate as the closest means of getting some justice was so disturbing. They might have accepted the offer of it as a way to have some semblance of closure to the abuse they suffered without actually getting over it at all, but luckily they've got their own psychological scars to live with while the person who caused such damage didn't face a single charge when they were alive. I mean, who are these people? Thank goodness Harris died when he did or he might've been put through a painful process that would've proven his guilt. Phew.

Oh, wait hang on...

Harris didn't die. He did get charged many years after the abuse happened. He denied any wrong doing. He went through a process of law. He was found guilty. He went to prison. His victims saw justice. His victims still have to live with the memory of the abuse he perpetrated.

That Savile's victims - whether they number 2, 20, or 200+ - are left with the knowledge their abuser never faced justice and their voices were left ignored for so many years is way more disturbing than what happens to the estate of a dead man who no longer has a use for it.