Cash card "mis read" in ATM.

BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was in Liverpool at the weekend and tried to use my Natwest card in a Natwest ATM.

I put it in and before I could put my number in it said " Sorry, card misread" and wouldn't let me go any further. Ii tried it in the Natwest one next to it and it did the same, yet I was able to use another one a few minutes later.

Is this a genuine Natwest machine error, or do you think it's a scam? I've never had this appear on screen before. I got a mini statement yesterday and nothing seems amiss so far.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    I was in Liverpool at the weekend and tried to use my Natwest card in a Natwest ATM.

I put it in and before I could put my number in it said " Sorry, card misread" and wouldn't let me go any further. Ii tried it in the Natwest one next to it and it did the same, yet I was able to use another one a few minutes later.

Is this a genuine Natwest machine error, or do you think it's a scam? I've never had this appear on screen before. I got a mini statement yesterday and nothing seems amiss so far.

Why don't you ask the people that are most likely to know, i.e. natwest. It will be quicker and more definitive than asking in here.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go online and check your statement as your bank account could have been completely cleared out!
    I read somewhere that the scammers leave a few pounds so you don't think anything is wrong if you try elsewhere and get some cash.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Why don't you ask the people that are most likely to know, i.e. natwest. It will be quicker and more definitive than asking in here.

I live in a small town and my Natwest is only open 10-2, 4 days a week:( i was working yesterday so didn't get a chance.

Will go in today and ask, and get a proper statement.

Just thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone else has had a similar thing happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a small town and my Natwest is only open 10-2, 4 days a week:( i was working yesterday so didn't get a chance.

Will go in today and ask, and get a proper statement.

Just thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone else has had a similar thing happen.

I meant phone them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go online and check your statement as your bank account could have been completely cleared out!
    I read somewhere that the scammers leave a few pounds so you don't think anything is wrong if you try elsewhere and get some cash.

Can they actually take money even though I didn't put my pin number in though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what sort of fake reader was used.
    Can they actually take money even though I didn't put my pin number in though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what sort of fake reader was used.

:eek:

Am going into the bank soon so will check with them. Think I'll order a new card anyway to be on the safe side.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was an error on the screen, then it is unlikely that it was a scam involved, as they don't hack into cash machine software.

My Natwest card always comes up as misread or unreadable or something on Lloyds TSB machines, but is fine everywhere else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:

Am going into the bank soon so will check with them. Think I'll order a new card anyway to be on the safe side.

FFS - phone them!! My card was swallowed by an ATM for no reason. Called the bank and they told me there was no reason for them to retain the card and there was obviously something dodgy about the cash point. They inmediately cancelled the card and ordered a new one. The whole thing took 5 minutes. Use some initiative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, the longer it takes the OP to report it the more time the scammers have to SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, the longer it takes the OP to report it the more time the scammers have to SPEND SPEND SPEND!!!

:D but then no doubt we'll get another thread about that:rolleyes:
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's any evidence that a card skimming device had been used in this case. As johnny_t pointed out, such devices don't (yet anyway) make messages appear on the ATM screen. What happened sounds much more like a malfunction of the ATM, possibly caused by dirt on its card-reading components.

Yes, the OP should be cautious and should contact his bank for advice, but there's no need for panic.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I don't think there's any evidence that a card skimming device had been used in this case. As johnny_t pointed out, such devices don't (yet anyway) make messages appear on the ATM screen. What happened sounds much more like a malfunction of the ATM, possibly caused by dirt on its card-reading components.

Yes, the OP should be cautious and should contact his bank, but there's no need for panic.
    A fake card reader could possibly screw up the real reader I suppose and make it misread the card. But I agree highly unlikely any fake card reader would interact with the machine itself.

After all the whole point of the scam card reader is to collect card numbers and PINs as unobtrusively as possible. Sort of defeats the whole point of the scam if you know you've been scammed.

And if there was a fake reader on the machine then the fact no PIN was entered should reduce the risk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »

Yes, the OP should be cautious and should contact his bank for advice, but there's no need for panic.

No ones telling him to panic, but surely the bank should be the first port of call?!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No ones telling him to panic, but surely the bank should be the first port of call?!!
    You'll note that I did say, "Yes, the OP should be cautious and should contact his bank for advice, but there's no need for panic."

ETA: Though I'm not even sure that it's worth contacting the bank, since faulty ATMs or faulty cards aren't a great rarity. He'd be wise to keep an eye on his online banking, though, in case anything dodgy should crop up, and if he has more problems with his card I suppose he might need a replacement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into the bank, nothing grim has happened to my account, apparently my card's chip is a bit dicky, so all's well.

I only posted on here to see if "card misread" was a common thing to pop up on screen and had happened to others, it's the first time I'd seen it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D but then no doubt we'll get another thread about that:rolleyes:

Which of course you'd be forced at gunpoint to read. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's pretty much my bank account all the time:o
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always check an ATM for signs of tampering before you use it, I do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which of course you'd be forced at gunpoint to read. :yawn:

Contacted the bank yet?:rolleyes:
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went into the bank, nothing grim has happened to my account, apparently my card's chip is a bit dicky, so all's well.

I only posted on here to see if "card misread" was a common thing to pop up on screen and had happened to others, it's the first time I'd seen it.

Something similar happened to me last year, the card would maybe show error in one machine but the next machine was fine. (Or even a case of going back to the machine did it).

Glad you got it sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something similar happened to me last year, the card would maybe show error in one machine but the next machine was fine. (Or even a case of going back to the machine did it).

Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks, yeah it was a bit weird but luckily it wasn't more sinister.

I ordered a new card anyway, so hopefully that should turn up soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contacted the bank yet?:rolleyes:

Yep, as I said several posts ago.

Do you have a permanent eyeroll in real life too, you must get headaches.