The new Thief game on pc.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    Where'd you see it for that price!?

Its on simplyCDKeys using the discount code "5OFFTHIEF".

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/thief-4?ref=simplycdkeys_home_product_panel

Dunno if the code still works though.
  • Options
    playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That review image is actually pretty spot-on. I have this on PC and it is really just.....boring.
    Every part of the map is just a corridor and the 'multiple paths' are basically choosing to hide behind the crates on the left, or right. Or maybe buying the screwdriver that opens up vents so you can cut off most of the level and skip enemies?!
    Started skipping cutsceness after a few levels as it is dire and doesn't even sync with the characters mouths. The 'loot' is basically scissors and medallions and to find them all you have to endure multiple loading screens disguised as you tapping E to open the window to a room. Once to enter. Then once to leave.
    I really wanted to enjoy it since I spent money on it and have vague but fond memories of the original. But it has become a chore to bother playing it now.
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Its on simplyCDKeys using the discount code "5OFFTHIEF".

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/thief-4?ref=simplycdkeys_home_product_panel

Dunno if the code still works though.

Cheers mate!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding it OK. Not a great game, but not terrible either. More like Thief 3 than Thief 2. It lacks the verticality of Dishonored through not having Blink, and it hasn't yet given me that sense of god-like voyeurism. However, Dishonored was at most 1/3rd stealth, and it's good to have a game which, eg, doesn't waste my mouse button on a sword I'll never use. This is about a thief, not an assassin or a magic user.
  • Options
    GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's not quite the absolute masterpiece that I was hoping for, but it's close enough and I'm just happy that they even made another Thief game.

I'm playing it on the Master-Customised settings with loads turned off to replicate the earlier games as much as possible. I've played a few hours and am taking my time.
    The issues for me so far are the contextualised jump/climb/swoop actions bound to just one keyboard key so that you never quite know which action is about to be used. That can be confusing. There's also no going off-piste to explore the absolute limits of the maps as jumping only happens when the game allows it, along with very limited rope arrow opportunities.

I really quite like Swoop actually (and I loved Blink in Dishonored too) but I have to remember to double-tap the key.

Time will tell, but for me it's a Thief game and that's better than no Thief game at all. :cool:
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Some of the 'you are dead' situations are really starting to annoy me. Such a lazy thing for game designers to still be doing. Tomb Raider had a few of these too.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GamerGirl wrote: »
    Sigh ... >:( why is there always someone who pipes up with this sort of rubbish? It's not even out yet and you haven't played it so how can you make ridiculous statements like "avoid"? Your opinion is probably based on seeing the beta and released preview footage, I expect.
    I bet you spat similar vitriol about the Deus Ex: Human Revolution reboot, which was actually brilliant.

I've played all the Thief games since the original was released years ago and I for one am looking forward to playing this new Thief reboot, especially since they have shown they have been listening to the Thief fans and changed various things so that we will now be able to turn off all the 'helpful' annoying features that console players expect so that we can get the proper near-original Thief experience for the PC. :D

Yes they will have changed things (farewell Stephen Russell's voice :cry: ) but it doesn't mean that it will necessarily be ruined. Just different. [/end rant]

If you have been playing games as long as you say you have, you could see this failure a mile off. Deus Ex HR wasnt actually that strange because it was good. Invisible War was DE's crap moment.

Low and behold the game is a let down. Yet another generic action game to clog up the shelves. Time and time again the same thing over and over, they rarely get it right, its almost always obvious its a shitty little cash grab with barely any real effort. They listened to the fans, shame they (and like many other companies that claim to listen to the fans, ANet) didnt bother actually taking anything on board.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Yet another generic action game to clog up the shelves.
    I wouldn't call Thief an action game, nor generic. It is a first-person proper stealth game, and there aren't that many of those around. Dishonored, for example, had stealth as an option, but most of the UI was dedicated to combat. I've avoided all combat so far in Thief. It's not a great game, but it's not a bad one either. I wouldn't blame lack of effort so much as producing great games is hard.

(We're also at a curious time, when expectations for PC and next-gen consoles are high, but new games are still required to run on previous-gen consoles with their tight memory constraints.)
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will this game see a price reduction? I think it's definitely worth a play but I'm very reluctant to pay 29.99
  • Options
    jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will this game see a price reduction? I think it's definitely worth a play but I'm very reluctant to pay 29.99

Try this

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/thief-pc-cd-key-steam
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The more i play the more dissapointed i get.

The story is gash and the characters are all terrible. I could overlook that if it wasn't for the dam context sensitive movement. A couple of times on every level so far i have spotted a way i want to go that i logically should be able to. However because the designers have deemed the jump key not to work at that point, i cannot, and have to stick to only the pre-prescribed roots.

Its so close to being really good, the bad bits bring it down so much. Such a shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    <snip> A couple of times on every level so far i have spotted a way i want to go that i logically should be able to. However because the designers have deemed the jump key not to work at that point, i cannot, and have to stick to only the pre-prescribed roots. <snip>

Yes I find that very disappointing too. I keep finding a bit that looks like it would be a great shortcut or hiding place if I could juuust jump up..... and....nope....can't go there :(

Also finding the maps between loading 'gates' very, very small. When you think of the huge maps without loading areas we had originally, it makes me even crosser about the consoles and the limits they've imposed on pc games nowadays. I just want to go everywhere without having to go through a smoky light first, dammit!

I'm hanging onto the sneaking and looting part of the game as the gameplay I enjoy best (since I can't explore exactly where I want to >:( ) and trying not to make comparisons more than once or twice a day.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a surprise, its a crappy action game that has nothing to do with the originals at all. Exactly as was predicted by anyone who has been into gaming for a little while, always the same thing over and over again.

One day people will learn to not buy this crap, now I am off to play Rome 2 which was a ****ing sterling success haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    What a surprise, its a crappy action game that has nothing to do with the originals at all. Exactly as was predicted by anyone who has been into gaming for a little while, always the same thing over and over again.

One day people will learn to not buy this crap, now I am off to play Rome 2 which was a ****ing sterling success haha.

I think that's a bit harsh. Its definately not an action game, and it is pretty similar to the originals. I really like the tactile nature of it and some of the locations are ace.

Its only the lack of freedom that really lets it down. It needed a proper open world city and open levels that would let you go anywhere you like if you could figure out a way to get there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The further I go into this new Thief game, the more I'm getting used to most of the new controls and restrictions. It still irritates me occasionally, but I'm learning that I have to look around even harder for the way to complete the challenge.
    The maps are getting more extensive as I progress through taking jobs from the fences, although the many, many windows continue to be a source of nausea-inducing movement.

I am now enjoying this game very much. It's not the Garrett I recall so fondly but the gameplay is pretty absorbing. :D
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a great review from someone on Amazon;
    If you are one of the haters listen up, this game is the bomb. Garrett is back in the fourth installment of the Thief series. This latest blockbuster is a tour-de-force in stealth, redefining the genre once again. If you don’t like it, prepare to be knocked out by the new powerful Garrett and his improved blackjack!

If you thought Garrett was well equipped before, buckle yourself up son as he now has incredible supernatural powers! These let him see through walls, way better than having to look yourself like the other games. Rope arrows are back with some serious attitude, these help you more than ever before with the new and improved levels! Let’s face it, the levels of the first games were lame level design, those suckers were boring as hell, this time the emphasis is on the real deal; stealing stuff!

You want a script, you got it! The story has plenty of wicked action and developed characters enough to satisfy you film fans out there. The dialogue is cranked up to 2014 and these dudes aren’t scared to tell you what they think. F-this and f-that, s-this and time to drop a c-bomb in there somewhere. Who needs that Old English stuff when you have proper swearing?

Thief looks like a real boss! Prepare for an eyegasm the second you see it, followed by an intense eargasm! The music is insane and awesome! Oh yeah, the game plays awesome too as you can become a real thief and steal from peoples houses just like in Brixton - word to the massive! How about more end-of-level bosses to mix up the action a bit? How about a zombie hordes mode for multiplayer? They could have a mode called Steal The Flag which would be awesome in Thief!

So all you Thief fans won’t be disappointed as this game is a true soldier in the stealth war, guaranteed to keep the millions entertained until the next Battlefield! Anyone who disses this game needs to back up their stuff, this is the greatest game in this quality series so far.

Graphics 10 – proper blazing showing the true potential of the XBONE and PS4 capabilities
    Sound 10 – AMAZING sounds, it’s like an orchestra in my home!
    Gameplay 10 – Addicting as alcohol or any drug!
    Depth 9 – You can play it time and time again different and find new ways to play! Why no multiplayer though?!

9/10
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Thief game is rubbish I guess he is taking the piss?

Awful level design tedious looting and bad story.

Go play Dishonored instead that's how it should be, yes I know Thief was first and all but they are old now.