Jim Murphy wins Scottish Labour Leadership election.

The infidelThe infidel Posts: 3,826
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Jim Murphy did such a fantastic job during the referendum and really sparked the immagination of the Scottish people during the referendum. Its because of his hard work and determination that the turnout was so high and the outcome successful. Even in the face of attacks by the SNP, physical and verbal, he stood is ground. His engagement with the whole of Scotland, not just the Central Belt, showed what a worker he really is. Well done Mr Murphy, you deserve this. The fight back against the Scottish Nasty Party starts now !

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's going to need a miracle to avoid Labour being smashed in the GE in Scotland. And I fear it will cost him his job as a result.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Murphy did such a fantastic job during the referendum and really sparked the immagination of the Scottish people during the referendum. Its because of his hard work and determination that the turnout was so high and the outcome successful. Even in the face of attacks by the SNP, physical and verbal, he stood is ground. His engagement with the whole of Scotland, not just the Central Belt, showed what a worker he really is. Well done Mr Murphy, you deserve this. The fight back against the Scottish Nasty Party starts now !

Is he still a UK M.P.? Will he become a Labour M.P.in the Scottish Parliament?How many Labour M.P.s does he expect to lead?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most boring man in politics becomes Scottish Labour Leader...great zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

:D:D:D Thanks. I needed a laugh.
  • pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottish Labour get a Scottish leader.
    Scottish newspapers are staffed by Scottish journalists.
    Scottish TV is presented by Scottish presenters.

Scotland needs to learn to be multicultural.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he seemed to be exaggerating his Scottish accent in his victory speech :confused:
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When does your medication wear off or maybe you forgot to take it.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,947
    Forum Member
    Murphy usually comes across as a decent enough, if unspectacular, type of guy. However, given recent history over the last 18 months and his close associations with the London mob, he may be the wrong man at the wrong time as I'd guess most of the damage to Labour (in scotland) for the coming election has already been done.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The most boring man in politics becomes Scottish Labour Leader...great zzzzzzzzzzzzz

He's hardly Mr Personality, and he reminds me a shifty user car salesman, but there are many more boring people in politics than him. Just imagine Douglas Alexander getting the job.

At least he showed some guts during the referendum campaign and took the debate to the streets. which is more than most of his colleagues did. I may not agree with him on much but I did respect him for that.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Murphy usually comes across as a decent enough, if unspectacular, type of guy. However, given recent history over the last 18 months and his close associations with the London mob, he may be the wrong man at the wrong time as I'd guess most of the damage to Labour (in scotland) for the coming election has already been done.

He seems to be a sincere man and I wish him well.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    At least he showed some guts during the referendum campaign and took the debate to the streets. which is more than most of his colleagues did. I may not agree with him on much but I did respect him for that.

You knew he was the man the SNP feared, because they focused their energies on trying to undermine him and his messages more than anyone else actively involved on the Yes campaign. Darling is nice, but dull, while Lamont was generally useless.

I have vague knowledge of him from many years ago, through friends, and I'm confident he is a decent bloke, who is sincere in his actions. He also managed a lot more dignity during the referendum than most.

I thought of the major, full-time players in the Yes campaign, it was him and Ruth Davidson who came out best.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member

Hi Jim;-)

Only the north british branch of the UK Labour party would elect a war mongering, friend of Israel, nuclear weapon supporting, expenses fiddling liar as their leader
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Time to get the eggs back oot I see.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Hi Jim;-)

Only the north british branch of the UK Labour party would elect a war mongering, friend of Israel, nuclear weapon supporting, expenses fiddling liar as their leader

Well, to be fair I am sure he has his good points to. Just give me a minute............. oh well, something will come to me eventually.

Unfortunately the opportunity for the Scottish Labour Party to re-invent itself and create as party that would appeal to the Scottish voters has been thrown away. Considering that Johann Lamont quit because the SLP was seen as a "branch office" of the Labour Party then this result tends to confirm that. Which is a pity as I should be a Labour supporter. :(
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    In what way did he spark imagination?What was imaginative or imagination provoking about what he said during the referendum campaign?
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how is he going to lead the Scottish Labour opposition at Holyrood from Westminster? :confused:

His victory shows that Scottish Labour is still a branch office of Westminster Labour.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he loks like a sincere sort of guy, good luck to him. Just the man to lead Scotlands Labour party fight back
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »

comedy gold
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    pcawthron wrote: »

Nah, that's just there to put all you Southern dreck in your place.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't the Scottish Labour party become independent of the London one? They could always work together in parliament instead of taking orders from them.

Anyone connected with London seems to be at a disadvantage in Scotland. It's the London Tories they really dislike and now London Labour as well due to their alliance with the Tories during the independence campaign.

I read that the Greens have a separate party for Scotland, independent of the English one.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new poll post Smith commission see's support for independence rise to 52%, staying in the union is at 48%, support for SNP is 47%, Labour 27% that would see Labour lose 34 of their 41 seats in Scotland.

What to do?

Send in Blairite right winger Jim Murphy, the most patronising speakers in the Labour party. Amazing how Labour are willing to bend over backwards for the English electorate but just refuse to listen to Scotland.

Ah well, bring it.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really needed Gordon Brown.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really needed Gordon Brown.

But what they wanted was a loyal Westminster man in Holyrood.
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't the Scottish Labour party become independent of the London one? They could always work together in parliament instead of taking orders from them.

Anyone connected with London seems to be at a disadvantage in Scotland. It's the London Tories they really dislike and now London Labour as well due to their alliance with the Tories during the independence campaign.

I read that the Greens have a separate party for Scotland, independent of the English one.

Interesting how you feel like you can speak with authority on Scottish matters yet you are fond of telling anyone not from the South East to butt out of your whiney anti-immigration threads.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Hi! I'm Jim Murphy and I will be leading Scottish Labour into oblivion at the General Election!"