The Fight For Saturday Night - BBC Four

Jason CJason C Posts: 31,284
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anybody watching this at the moment?

If not, it's a fantastic account of the history of the Saturday night light entertainment battle between BBC and ITV with Michael Grade interviewing all the relevant people and parties.

At the moment, they're just going through Noel's House Party and discussing something I've long wondered, namely what caused its downfall and eventual axing?

The trouble with BBC Four is that it does lots of good documentaries like this which have very little promotion and as such, you only really find out that they're on when you randomly hop to the channel on any given moment.

Comments

• Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    This is a fastinating watch. The story of how WWTBAM got commisioned is great.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    History has been airbrushed again.
    Jim'll Fix It if I remember correctly trounced most everything in the ratings, for years and wasn't even mentioned in the programme.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating 90 minutes. I'd forgotten how good some of those shows were.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Missed most of this, caught about 10 minutes, I'll have to download it, looked interesting even though I haven't watched Saturday Night 'main channel' TV for 20 years or more.
    Micheal Grade seems to be living for pleasure alone talking to his mates/rivals/colleagues in TV, Radio and the Theatre in various docs.
    Watching Parky and Tommy Cooper atm, don't remember this one been on the BBC Talk at the BBC archive page.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History has been airbrushed again.
    Jim'll Fix It if I remember correctly trounced most everything in the ratings, for years and wasn't even mentioned in the programme.

It did but it was a 'teatime' show, back in the days when BBC1 catered for children.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great show. Surprised Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway never got a bigger mention when Ant and Dec's Flop of a show 'Slap bang' did get mentioned
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another illustration of just how good BBC4 is. I love these shows, I could listen to these people chat all day.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Another illustration of just how good BBC4 is. I love these shows, I could listen to these people chat all day.

and if it'd been broadcast on BBC 2 ten times more people would've seen it. Still an interesting programme. They could've mentioned the Saturday night dramas like House of Elliot, Duchess of Duke Street, Juliet Bravo - the only one that got a mention was All Creatures Great and Small. And no mention of the big 'name' star vehicles (Lulu, Cilla, Val Doonican).
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it was about the mass audience light entertainment shows drama was obviously not included. I always lose interest when they get to the modern dross!.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought this was badly paced with the timeline moving all over the place at times.

Also when they were pitching what sounded like X Factor, it was in fact Pop Idol, even though when it was pitched to the ITV exec the question was asked "well you've already got Pop Idol......".

Confusing at times, but still a good show to watch, just a little more care in post production next time.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's invaluable just to get these old stagers like Michael Peacock, Paul Fox, Bruce Forsyth and Jim Moir on film as they were an implicit part of the history of BBC TV.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there much Matthew Kelly ?

He was always on Saturday nights in the 90s
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watching this now on Catch Up

I'd forgotten all about Bruce's Big Night..........not that it's the kind of thing I would have watched.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was there much Matthew Kelly ?

He was always on Saturday nights in the 90s

Matthew Kelly is on now.......Game For a Laugh !

I'd forgotten 'Henry Kelly' who was also on that show
  • BPL2011BPL2011 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Not a bad show, would have benefited from being longer though, maybe as a series, quite a few big Saturday evening programmes didn't even get a mention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Matthew Kelly is on now.......Game For a Laugh !

I'd forgotten 'Henry Kelly' who was also on that show

Henry Kelly has a show every Saturday on BBC Radio Berkshire and he's awful,the only thing he's interested in is horse racing.He seems to have some sort of speech impediment, he sounds as if he's eating all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed this, i like watching programs like this, that look back and give you an insight into how shows came about and were commissioned, i was surprised when Noel tidy beard swore :D, even though he was quoting someone else, i dont think i can remember hearing him swear on anything before.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    It did but it was a 'teatime' show, back in the days when BBC1 catered for children.

Didn't Rolf Harris have an early Saturday evening show as well?
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id like to see them them to go back to the Sixties with this even. I was only a kid but Im sure Morecambe and Wise were on ITV then on Saturday nights when Green and Hills wrote for them (or as was ABC at the weekend here in Granadaland) and drama like The Avengers (live) and Armchair Theatre. Then again I think the likes of The Billy Cotton Bandshow was up against them....a weird sort of balance for prime time.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member
    Thought this was badly paced with the timeline moving all over the place at times.

Also when they were pitching what sounded like X Factor, it was in fact Pop Idol, even though when it was pitched to the ITV exec the question was asked "well you've already got Pop Idol......

No, they said Popstars. That was the one that just pre-dated Pop Idol.

Really enjoyed the programme, among the most interesting things were seeing glimpses of short-lived pilots like O'Grady's Got Talent (with Fern Britton on the judging panel!) I was surprised though that there was no mention of the early pilot of Blind Date, "It's a Hoot!" hosted by Duncan Norvelle - I believe it was partly his outrageously suggestive take on it that led them to pick Cilla instead, as she was one of the most unthreatening, "unsexual" figures they could think of.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    No, they said Popstars. That was the one that just pre-dated Pop Idol.

Aahh that explains it then. There was a lot of shows missed, Gladiators for instance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think it would be good if they did another one of these, mentioning some of the programs they missed and that have been mentioned on here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Rolf Harris have an early Saturday evening show as well?

BBC1 Saturday January 6, 1968:

1715 Tom and Jerry
    1725 Dr Who
    1750 News
    1800 The Monkees
    1825 Dee Time with Richard Chamberlain, Beryl Reid
    1910 Dixon of Dock Green
    1955 The Rolf Harris Show with Georgia Brown
    2040 Film: Jet Storm
    2205 News with Michael Aspel
    2215 Match of the Day with David Coleman
    2300 At the Eleventh Hour
    2335 Weather, close
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It was made all the better by the fact that it treated the sudience intelligently and gave some of the background stories as to how key shows got commissioned.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    BBC1 Saturday January 6, 1968:

1715 Tom and Jerry
    1725 Dr Who
    1750 News
    1800 The Monkees
    1825 Dee Time with Richard Chamberlain, Beryl Reid
    1910 Dixon of Dock Green
    1955 The Rolf Harris Show with Georgia Brown
    2040 Film: Jet Storm
    2205 News with Michael Aspel
    2215 Match of the Day with David Coleman
    2300 At the Eleventh Hour
    2335 Weather, close
    I was thinking of the late Eighties where he had a show with cartoons and him drawing. http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-628.html