9th Century Quranic Manuscripts before Columbus

wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭
USA: Discovery Of 9th Century Quranic Manuscripts Predate Columbus Travels By Five Centuries - See more

For centuries it was believed that Christopher Columbus was the first man from the Old continent to cross the Atlantic to the New World, but new evidence from a research team from the University of Rhode Island suggests Muslim seafarers might just be the first people to have settled on the shores of America, a possibility that could rewrite history as we know it.

Comments

• MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate to break it to you, but that site is a load of balls.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, I'm glad. I love it when something we think is true turns out to be bollocks.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Good, I'm glad. I love it when something we think is true turns out to be bollocks.

The only thing that's bollocks is that article.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the Vikings had plenty of contact with Islam before then, might it just not be further proof that it was the Vikings who got there first?
  • SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Given that the Vikings had plenty of contact with Islam before then, might it just not be further proof that it was the Vikings who got there first?

I thought this had been accepted for some time that vikings got their first.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Leif Eriksen crossed the Atlantic five hundred years before Columbus did anyway? True, he landed at Vinalnd in Newfoundland rather than the USA or the Caribbean - but he still got there around 1000AD, 492 years before Columbus first decide to sail west from Europe.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For centuries it HASN'T been believed that Columbus...
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course, which is why it seems more likely that the Vikings left this stuff too.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    So what really? If it is true it is of interest certainly, but it has no real significance.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think anybody thought that Columbus was the first contact with The New World anymore. :confused::D

Anyway, it's not really that interesting until we get the response from the Mormons. :p:p
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    So what really? If it is true it is of interest certainly, but it has no real significance.

Haven't you heard? Apparently if you can establish a member of your faith was the 'first' to do something then this proves it is the one true religion.
    I'm working on proving that one Grog Mc Ugh (Cro Magnon, sun worshipper) was the first to fit 40 boiled eggs in his mouth, a feat which will require the rewriting of history and dismantling of all subsequent belief systems.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Haven't you heard? Apparently if you can establish a member of your faith was the 'first' to do something then this proves it is the one true religion.
    I'm working on proving that one Grog Mc Ugh (Cro Magnon, sun worshipper) was the first to fit 40 boiled eggs in his mouth, a feat which will require the rewriting of history and dismantling of all subsequent belief systems.

Wendy won't like that as Judaism pre-dates Islam by a few thousand years.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catch up. It's been known for several centuries that the Vikings there before Columbus and that native Americans got there even earlier via the land bridge. Theory first mooted in 1590 and pretty much confirmed by DNA studies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Delete
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Of course, which is why it seems more likely that the Vikings left this stuff too.

Sorry, I though your post was implying that we were still at the proof gathering stage rather than having accepted this happened.

It seems this is a bit of an agenda driven thread anyway rather than an interesting insight into history.:blush:
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »
    USA: Discovery Of 9th Century Quranic Manuscripts Predate Columbus Travels By Five Centuries - See more

For centuries it was believed that Christopher Columbus was the first man from the Old continent to cross the Atlantic to the New World, but new evidence from a research team from the University of Rhode Island suggests Muslim seafarers might just be the first people to have settled on the shores of America, a possibility that could rewrite history as we know it.

Erdogan, is that you?
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Just to state the obvious but Arabic writing in Quranic as the language predate the 8th century creation known as Islam. It would like saying English is Christian writing.

There is also the face the Quran state the world is flat, so depending what direction the Arabs sailed they would have fell off end of the world before reaching America. Such is the wisdom in Islam.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Erdogan, is that you?

I did wonder :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to state the obvious but Arabic writing in Quranic as the language predate the 8th century creation known as Islam.
    Minor point, but early 7th century.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Islam is still growing fast. Many histories will start be changed the bigger the religion grows.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Saga of the Ancient Hebrew Explorers is more convincing already.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, those Three Wise men just kept on goin'...
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did that ever stop her???