Normal TV or downloads/streaming?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Might sound a bit, erm, counter-intuitive (if that's the right phrase) but I find the problem with on-demand TV is that there isn't enough of it to replace live TV.

What I mean is, we find a series that we like and then we give it a good hammering, watching 3 or 4 episodes a night, barely watching any live TV at all, but then we'll be finished with it in a month or so and we're back to watching whatever crap happens to appear on the telly while we're sat in front of it.

Am still working through the box sets. Have done Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Prison Break, Game of Thrones, House of Cards and The Walking Dead but there are just so many I want to watch .... think Orange Is The New Black will be next. Is it as good as has been suggested? We also watch a lot of documentaries on NetFlix and there are some great ones out there. If you haven't seen Blackfish about the killer whale shows at Seaworld in the states I'd thoroughly recommend it, you'll never set foot in one of those sorts of shows after.

Anyone else got any recommendations?
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Probably the biggest difference for me over the last couple of years is that now I rarely bother recording TV and just rely on catch-up / streaming services.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    One of the biggest advantages we should have be benefitting from by now is just being able to watch something in some way, how many programmes go out on live TV, are on the usual on demand channels for about a month at the longest and are then just not even remotely possible to actually watch ever again.

Eg The Miners Strike documentary on ITV, broadcast once, on ITV Player for a month probably and then not seen again, not repeated. Hundreds/thousands of hours of BBC programmes are just the same, but many are available on 4oD so that has the right idea!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gather the BBC are, or certainly were looking at options to release a lot of there back catalogue on a commercial on demand basis. Programming that might not be viable for a full retail release but would be viable for an on demand commercial basis.

And before the TV licence covered programming lot come out to say "why should we pay to access it when TV licence has already paid for it?". The idea is or was (as not sure what's happened to the idea) for it to be run by BBC Worldwide (the commercial part of the BBC) than the BBC itself kind of like Dave & Gold etc.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Streaming, downloading and on demand is the future, i agree but there will always be a place for live TV.

For example, early morning and getting the kids ready for school, the TV's normally switched to the news.

Kids come home from school and they don't go for on demand services, they switch on their fav channels.

Come home from work and lots of folk just put on the telly and watch whatever's on without really thinking too hard about choices, they won't go the extra step to download or stream until later in the evening when they're happy to focus on what they're watching.

There's also of course live sport and news.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanellis wrote: »
    It's the beginning of the end and a dawning of a new era! A much better one! Gone are the days of frantically rushing home to catch the latest instalment of your favourite program. Gone is the lament of the video recorder breaking down.

Today, I can say for myself, as far as I'm concerned Live TV is not an option in my house.
    1) The irritating adverts. Fast forward. Bye bye.
    2) Convenience.

A majority of what I watch is Netflix. A majority of television is OnDemand services. I see a model in perhaps 20 years where all television (apart from live events) are available OnDemand exclusively. And even then live streaming may be popular. Television as it is now is an antiquated and outdated system.

Luckily we can be forward thinking enough to adopt these practices as commonplace before the masses follow suit and rampant and unskippable advertising becomes part and parcel of streaming services. God I shall rue the inevitable day.

Watching TV programmes is definitely slowly turning towards online. It can snow very heavily and you'd still get a perfect picture, what with the data/information travelling through cables underground. I think the TV is very slowly on its way out. It might not be noticeable yet, but it's heading that way though.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Have just realised that I now watch very little normal TV these days bar the news and the odd series such as Masterchef and Broadchurch. We watch a lot of documentaries and also have worked through series such as Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones which are available on Netflix and SkyPlus On Demand via our smart tv.

Am I alone in this and is it the beginning of the end for normal tv?

I'm exactly the same. I very rarely watch TV these days, probably because I have a rabid dislike of adverts! It's just as well there is never ever anything I want to see on anything other than the BBC channels. I'd much prefer to watch what I want on catch-up and stream what I really want to watch.

Which is all very well except at this time of the year when all my favourite shows are in hiatus!
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Am still working through the box sets. Have done Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Prison Break, Game of Thrones, House of Cards and The Walking Dead but there are just so many I want to watch .... think Orange Is The New Black will be next. Is it as good as has been suggested? We also watch a lot of documentaries on NetFlix and there are some great ones out there. If you haven't seen Blackfish about the killer whale shows at Seaworld in the states I'd thoroughly recommend it, you'll never set foot in one of those sorts of shows after.

Anyone else got any recommendations?

Orange is the New Black is excellent, as is How to Get Away with Murder, Murder in the First, Nurse Jackie and The Good Wife. Oh, and The Americans starts again tomorrow. Can't wait for that.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Oh, and The Americans starts again tomorrow. Can't wait for that.

Is it ? Where is it being shown. I didn't know there was a series 3 and assumed it had been dropped.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I use a lot of streaming services Netflix/Amazon Prime to the point I'm now even annoyed at having to FFW through things I've taped off SKY!!

I think one reason it's taking a while for it to catch on is a combination, as has already been mentioned, we're only now just getting the infrastructure to allow decent streaming. And I think another reason is in the last 15 years we've had everyone and their dog telling us the next best great thing, and I think people are bored or at least unsure what to believe. First we had HD ready, then it was HD now it's 4K. Then add in DVD/Bluray/HD Disks, now add in Smart TV's, 3d TV's, Streaming Boxs, then we have dial up, then broadband, now it's fibre etc. People only have so much money and or time to spend on these things, which to a large part only take up a small part of our life.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched live TV for a few years now. Can't imagine being in the habit of watching stuff just for watching's sake.

I don't miss the commercials either.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Since moving into this house about 18 months ago, the reception in my room for freeview has always been really bad and temperamental with any aerial that I've used, so quickly started to rely on the likes of Netflix, Iplayer, Youtube, and good old downloads - all running through my Xbox and straight through the T.V.

I haven't watched live T.V in a long time, but all will change next week as I'm having Virgin Media (the full works) installed in all the rooms throughout the house and cancelling all my subscriptions. The novelty will probably wear off pretty fast though and I'm sure I'll still resort to downloading instead (with the hefty 150 meg speed internet I'll have) - Adverts are what kill me. Even if you can fast forward them. The best things about downloads are that these guys provide the best free service in town by completely removing them before uploading - happy days.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave9946 wrote: »
    We don't watch live TV anymore as such or TV as it is being broadcast, near all on catch up, streaming etc. Cancelled subscription tv near a year ago due to this growing move from us. The plus side of this is that legally we no longer require a TV licence as we no longer watch live TV. News, I stream international news channels off the internet as its somewhat more balanced.
    You are wrong there, you do require a TV Licence as you still are watching a live broadcast...

And the fact that you think it is more balanced is laughable, it isn't more balanced it is just more skewed to your personal political bias...
    dave9946 wrote: »
    I gather the BBC are, or certainly were looking at options to release a lot of there back catalogue on a commercial on demand basis. Programming that might not be viable for a full retail release but would be viable for an on demand commercial basis.

And before the TV licence covered programming lot come out to say "why should we pay to access it when TV licence has already paid for it?". The idea is or was (as not sure what's happened to the idea) for it to be run by BBC Worldwide (the commercial part of the BBC) than the BBC itself kind of like Dave & Gold etc.
    No you paid for them the first time they were broadcast, repeat broadcasts and making them available to watch online require additional rights that cost money.

Want you want to do is basically have unlimited access to the cinema because you paid to go see one money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VDUBster wrote: »
    You are wrong there, you do require a TV Licence as you still are watching a live broadcast...

And the fact that you think it is more balanced is laughable, it isn't more balanced it is just more skewed to your personal political bias...

No you paid for them the first time they were broadcast, repeat broadcasts and making them available to watch online require additional rights that cost money.

Want you want to do is basically have unlimited access to the cinema because you paid to go see one money.

Not if its a non UK broadcast streamed even if live. You would only require or be subject to a TV licence if you live stream UK TV channels online.

The second part of your post makes no sense. As what I said or ment was the BBC are or was looking at making a lot of there back catalogue available on a on demand commercial basis, and those who would be against having to pay to access this content as the licence fee funded the content in the first place would have no argument as the idea is a commercial one that's nothing to do with the BBC directly but would operate by the separate independent BBC Worldwide.