Boxing

Comments

• Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting to the stage where every round is like a year off Murray's career.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's getting to the stage where every round is like a year off Murray's career.

Does that make boxing worse than cigarettes? Don't tell Dave!
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 13,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such poor commentary on ch5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably correct decision by the ref.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Such poor commentary on ch5

To be fair it's terrestrial so it's more catered for the casual watcher. Al Bernstein is great on Showtime but he's restricted a bit on Channel 5 shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably correct decision by the ref.

murray did well to last till the 11th but I feel that GGG never really had to go past second gear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair it's terrestrial so it's more catered for the casual watcher. Al Bernstein is great on Showtime but he's restricted a bit on Channel 5 shows.

Fair enough.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Murray. He did exceptionally well to get back into the fight after the early knock-down, but really the ref could have stopped it anytime after the eight round. People will talk about all the technical attributes that Golovkin has but to me, his biggest assets are his relentless aggression and his anvil-like head. He can take a haymaker punch square in the face and instantly return the favour with a knock-out punch of his own.

Hope you feel better now serial lurker ;-)
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic effort from Murray, guy is tough as nails. Going out on your feet is nothing to be ashamed of against GGG.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hats off to Martin Murray for his effort, but he met a man on another planet to him in MW terms.

Golovkin needs a superfight: I don't know who against, but he needs one.

He's stated that he's willing to go up or down to get the big fights, so either go down & go after FMJ; go up & go after Froch or Ward, or stay where he is & wait for El Canelo.

They'd all be superfights & I think Golovkin has earned that & needs it.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Golovkin shouldn't go down. Don't want him have to drain himself for the sake of a superfight.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Golovkin shouldn't go down. Don't want him have to drain himself for the sake of a superfight.

Agreed, especially at his age. He should go up. But I think he should go up and have a trial fight before taking on any of the really big boys. A semi-superfight, if you will. I think Arthur Abraham would be a great match for him.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, especially at his age. He should go up. But I think he should go up and have a trial fight before taking on any of the really big boys. A semi-superfight, if you will. I think Arthur Abraham would be a great match for him.

And let's face it, there are a lot more options and better fights at Super Middle in comparison to Middleweight. Middleweight is pretty much a dead division at the moment. I mean Andy Lee, Cotto or Jermain Taylor(I think?) are the other champions in the division and I wouldn't have any confidence to say that they would last any longer than Martin Murray, who's as tough as you'll get in the division imo.

Last night showed he's not just a level above the rest in the division but probably a good few levels. Staying here is pointless.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there anyone else who doesn't think Golvin is all that great?
    He's flat footed, square on and not too difficult to hit and isn't all that fast either for a small*middleweight.
    He's beaten a lot of fairly mediocre fighters. Imho, in better era's against genuine top class, he'd have been exposed.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Yes it's too late but I'm still mad hyped. Whether now or 3-years ago the result for me is the same.

Mayweather by UD.

4 or 5 years ago my money would have been heavily on Manny!
    His workrate would have been too much with Floyd being dragged into the kind of fight he's never liked fighting.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    He's flat footed, square on and not too difficult to hit and isn't all that fast either for a small*middleweight.
    He's beaten a lot of fairly mediocre fighters. Imho, in better era's against genuine top class, he'd have been exposed.

I'm not too sure he's an ATG just yet, as it would be a tough ask for any 160lber in history to match the likes of Monzon or Hagler, or the plethora of tough & great MWs of the 50s etc, but he's certainly the best of this era.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

He definitely needs to fight some world class operators. His record is full of B class fighters.
  • mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The thing is he can only beat whoever is put in front of him.

All the talk is of him either going up or down in weight to meet better opposition.

Why is there no-one willing to go up or come down and meet GGG?

There's no doubt that Murray was a great test for GGG, he gave it his best and hit him with some decent shots but GGG was/is a better class.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess now would be a good time to link this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vijD09_O8ek
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl Frampton vs Chris Avalos live on ITV from 10:50pm
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »
    Carl Frampton vs Chris Avalos live on ITV from 10:50pm

Be keeping an eye on that, hoping it doesn't clash with the Fury fight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    Be keeping an eye on that, hoping it doesn't clash with the Fury fight.

Same. Fury on at around 10pm... Got the razzle dazzle and ridiculous arrogance of Eubank jnr first
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Same. Fury on at around 10pm... Got the razzle dazzle and ridiculous arrogance of Eubank jnr first

Let's hope his entrance has ended by 10pm then.

Thoughts on Fury fight? I can see him winning by KO within 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    Let's hope his entrance has ended by 10pm then.

Thoughts on Fury fight? I can see him winning by KO within 5.

Have to admit I' haven't seen much of Hammer, I don't know the guys that have beaten him. I'd like Fury to show a bit more energy than he did against chisora... I'm waiting for him to box as well as he talks... I do like him.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Can't blame Chudinov for objecting to Terry O'Connor being referee.