Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Oh ...... i love getting flowers ........... and cupcakes, these are a few of my favourite things
    ( pinched that line from a well known song ;-):D )

i hope you get something nice Augusta ( cough cough your flowers ) i got great gift this xmas ( but only with lots of hints) have you tried that with your daughter :D pop up notes are the way to do it :blush::D

its ok to sound ungrateful on here, they won,t know..... lol but if memory serves me well
    nyannie has you beat on the nasty gift front......... didn't she once get those bathroom scales ....... but i could be wrong ......... but i quite sure i,m right :p:D

Morning all

Yup! I did get bathroom scales - first present ever from my o/h - I swapped it for a game of trivial pursuits.

I too hope you get something nice augusta - you certainly deserve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning again.

Hope your son's ears clear up georgy.

Had a lovely day yesterday - a friend came down from London and we had a lovely time - lunch and then visit to garden centre - we did buy lots of plants. Running out of space to be honest!

Have a good day today and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. Rain this afternoon.
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all

Yup! I did get bathroom scales - first present ever from my o/h - I swapped it for a game of trivial pursuits.

I too hope you get something nice augusta - you certainly deserve it.

i just love trivial pursuit :D lol x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning again.

Hope your son's ears clear up georgy.

Had a lovely day yesterday - a friend came down from London and we had a lovely time - lunch and then visit to garden centre - we did buy lots of plants. Running out of space to be honest!

Have a good day today and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. Rain this afternoon.

me to..... he goes back to the nurse tomorrow..... so fingers crossed :D

sound like fun, pleased you had a nice day with your friend, garden centre, are great....... especially the coffee shop places they have in them now. :D

the sun was lovely ...... so much so that i walked into the village....... love springtime walks :D
  • Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    oh the weather has been glorious here as well,

Just a busy week with work, I think we are going out for dinner on sunday, which should be lovely, and I have been given an early present of garden solar lights.

Just in the middle of this latest series of House of Cards, fascinating series....

is anyone doing anything interesting for Red nose day?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning!

Back to reality - the ironing mountain is diminishing and bathroom needs cleaning - yuch!!!

Went to the gym yesterday - first time in about 6 weeks! Tired and sore!

No, I'm not doing anything for Red Nose Day.

Glad to see a man won the Sewing Bee. Fascinating to see how creative people are. I never thought he would win.

Quiet weekend and I may just use the new mixer.

Don't work too hard anyone.

Hope your son's ears are better georgy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I am glad the man won the sewing bee. I love that show, but some of the projects are starting to get so complicated. You are going to need to be so techinically competent before starting!

So its the voice tonight, and tomorrow and Poldark! and some kind of attempt to sort out the central heating again, its not working again! so frustrating.

I have a project to do, to design a centrepiece for a family party, some kind of floral device, which should be fun, an excuse to go to the flower wholesaler, I love that place, and could spend a fortune there!! so many knick nacks, luckily in some respects I try to keep our house reasonably clear. As a child I collected animal ornaments and my bedroom used to be full of tiny bits and bobs, but they had to be put away in when I got kids...and have never come out again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been having trouble getting on - pages move up and down without control.

Just watched the Drawing program on BBC1 - if they are the best artists in the UK, I've won the Turner Prize. O/H said I could do better.

Busy week - going to the cinema to see live performance of Swan Lake from Covent Garden and then I'm meeting someone I haven't seen in over 45 years!!!! Nervous! Then I'm doing a course in Oxford for the day and then having afternoon tea!!!!

House really needs a spring clean so will start tomorrow. One room at a time.

Hope you have all had a good weekend. We are going through withdrawal as there is no TOP GEAR - will watch Four Rooms on plus 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning and what a morning

it started with a breakfast fit for a king........ smoked haddock, poached egg and wholemeal toast....... yum yum :D

popped in here before i start the laundry...... :)

hope everyone had a wonderful mothers day :D

Nyannie did catch the end of the artist programme....... they are shockingly bad
    the sky one was so much better :D

this house has also gone into mourning ........ why...... why ..... no....... top gear..... sobs..... i want it back ........ NOW...... stamps feet >:(

hope your meeting goes well ......wow 45 years will you recognise each other, i can see
    why you would be a little nervous...... but have a lovely day.

well the washing is not going to do itself...... so i better hop to it, husband goes away next week. I think i shall do my spring clean then :D

have a great day all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    Oh I am glad the man won the sewing bee. I love that show, but some of the projects are starting to get so complicated. You are going to need to be so techinically competent before starting!

So its the voice tonight, and tomorrow and Poldark! and some kind of attempt to sort out the central heating again, its not working again! so frustrating.

I have a project to do, to design a centrepiece for a family party, some kind of floral device, which should be fun, an excuse to go to the flower wholesaler, I love that place, and could spend a fortune there!! so many knick nacks, luckily in some respects I try to keep our house reasonably clear. As a child I collected animal ornaments and my bedroom used to be full of tiny bits and bobs, but they had to be put away in when I got kids...and have never come out again!

my mum is also watching Poldark....... she keeps telling me i should watch it....... and i keep telling her...... how much i hate historical drama ....... :D

loving the voice....... good luck with the flower arranging.... sounds like a lot of fun :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes I too am missing Top Gear.

What a fiasco, Clarkson can be extremely irritating, but he is also charismatic and creates an interesting show. I have no real interest in cars, but I do like Top Gear, and I love their travel documentaries, which show such a different side to some countries. Even the Argentine one was fascinating.

today has been a day for the vets, the old dog is well old,......and apart from looking after him there isn't much else we can do, whilst the young one needs to go on a strict diet. he is apparently obese and its putting too much pressure on his hip joint. This is going to be fun to sort out!!

We saw the Imitiation game over the weekend, great film, what a incredible period of history. Then turned onto BBC2 to see Enigma. another great film!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes I too am missing Top Gear.

What a fiasco, Clarkson can be extremely irritating, but he is also charismatic and creates an interesting show. I have no real interest in cars, but I do like Top Gear, and I love their travel documentaries, which show such a different side to some countries. Even the Argentine one was fascinating.

today has been a day for the vets, the old dog is well old,......and apart from looking after him there isn't much else we can do, whilst the young one needs to go on a strict diet. he is apparently obese and its putting too much pressure on his hip joint. This is going to be fun to sort out!!

We saw the Imitiation game over the weekend, great film, what a incredible period of history. Then turned onto BBC2 to see Enigma. another great film!

Is the vet helping with the diet..... has he given you any help, like some sort
    of diet sheet. poor dog being labelled obese...... seems a bit harsh, lets hope the dog didn't understand :D no need to hurt his feeling :D

i agree about Clarkson can be a right kn*b, but he is very good on that show :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is the vet helping with the diet..... has he given you any help, like some sort
    of diet sheet. poor dog being labelled obese...... seems a bit harsh, lets hope the dog didn't understand :D no need to hurt his feeling :D

i agree about Clarkson can be a right kn*b, but he is very good on that show :D

Well we are going to try just reducing his food, he is a terror for begging and getting scraps, and I have a month to get it working, if it doesn't he will have to go on a new diet, from the vets....that will cost! So im hoping we get some reduction without needing to buy anything else!!

Work again today, only one more week until the easter holidays, this term has been so short.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well we are going to try just reducing his food, he is a terror for begging and getting scraps, and I have a month to get it working, if it doesn't he will have to go on a new diet, from the vets....that will cost! So im hoping we get some reduction without needing to buy anything else!!

Work again today, only one more week until the easter holidays, this term has been so short.

Its hard not to give in ....... when they beg so nicely,
    its that big liquid wide eyed stare that gets to you :D

vet are so expensive, without having to go the diet food route, but its hard because more exercise will also cause soreness in the hips, while she is overweight

good luck i hope it works :)

sounds like you're looking forward to the end of term :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This house too is in mourning - for TOP GEAR! I've written a letter to BBC and guess what - no answer.

Friend called me to cancel our meeting tomorrow. His wife isn't well. They are now coming in May!

Hope the dogs are OK augusta. I know how much vet fees can be - our neighbour has spent a small fortune on her dog - and it has to have special food!

Just got my ironing down from a mountain to a hill. Feel very virtuous.

Must get going - I've made some rice pudding and it needs to come out!

Have a lovely afternoon all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi everyone...hows things?

Just been to a fascinating meeting about Thyroidism, in Cambridge, where the speaker was talking about current scientific thought about Throidism, which was fascinating, the speaker was saying that current medication is the same as was used in the 50s and that maybe we should be updating and refining diagnosis and treatment!

He also warned that the UK is facing a massive iodine deficit. Its only ever used by the thyroid gland to help them run efficiently, but something has changed in our diet and now we are likely as a population to suffer iodine deficiency, which can lead to lower intelligence in children!

Apparently years ago, iodine was automatically included in our diet via the iodine disinfectant used on cows udders when they were milked, now dairy farms use another compound, so we aren't getting enough iodine! But drinking milk can help provide some, as does spinach and broccoli!

it is so interesting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all

what a few days i've had
    husband has broken a couple of fingers..... they are so black and blue and swollen all over...... couldn't of happened at a worst time really....... he's travelling this coming week

sons ear is still not clear of wax they have tried to clean it out three times now.....
    got to keep up the olive oil

but what a day of rugby yesterday....... so near............. but three really great matches
    love that open type of game...... when they just have to go for it :D

getting ready to watch liverpool now......... big match against Man Untd

going to read back...... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi everyone...hows things?

Just been to a fascinating meeting about Thyroidism, in Cambridge, where the speaker was talking about current scientific thought about Throidism, which was fascinating, the speaker was saying that current medication is the same as was used in the 50s and that maybe we should be updating and refining diagnosis and treatment!

He also warned that the UK is facing a massive iodine deficit. Its only ever used by the thyroid gland to help them run efficiently, but something has changed in our diet and now we are likely as a population to suffer iodine deficiency, which can lead to lower intelligence in children!

Apparently years ago, iodine was automatically included in our diet via the iodine disinfectant used on cows udders when they were milked, now dairy farms use another compound, so we aren't getting enough iodine! But drinking milk can help provide some, as does spinach and broccoli!

it is so interesting!

very interesting....... what made you go.....

didn't know that about iodine..... diet is so important, but with the ready meals and fast foods families seem to live of these days.... its now wonder we have so many health problems.... children are a real worry with not enough exercise as well.

it really needs looking into

hope you're well Augusta xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This house too is in mourning - for TOP GEAR! I've written a letter to BBC and guess what - no answer.

Friend called me to cancel our meeting tomorrow. His wife isn't well. They are now coming in May!

Hope the dogs are OK augusta. I know how much vet fees can be - our neighbour has spent a small fortune on her dog - and it has to have special food!

Just got my ironing down from a mountain to a hill. Feel very virtuous.

Must get going - I've made some rice pudding and it needs to come out!

Have a lovely afternoon all.

what a shame..... i know you were looking forward to it, hope his wife feels better soon x

i love a good rice pudding...... was my favourite as a kid :D

p.s and keep at the bbc Nyannie..... i want my top gear back :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I want top Gear back as well, it was just so light and entertaining, perfect for sunday evening!!

I have a thyroid thing, and take tablets every day, and so does my friend, and she is part of a local group, so I kind of went to meet up with her and find out more!!

Georgy what on earth was your husband doing to damage himself?

I watched Poldark yesterday, what beautiful scenery!! And went to Southend airport, what a lovely airport, clean efficient, and almost totally empty. such a contrast to Stanstead, I will be going there again. WE also after dropping daughter there, went down to the pier, which felt so strange!

ITs always odd going back somewhere you knew as a child. And Southend has both not changed, but changed! We got on the pier and went to the end, but there is nothing there, except a tea hut, I used to love walking down the pier and getting a bag of chips at the end, but we were unlucky! I think the threat of fire has changed things.

What is odd is that both Clacton and Walton on the Naze which are similar period Victorian seaside towns, have changed massively in the past 10 years, with money being spent on them to improve them and cheer them up...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all

Hope all is well..

Saw live transmission of SWAN LAKE last week - terrific! Just booked another ballet at the cinema. Really good!!!

Did a day school on Weimar Republic. Very interesting.

Seeing old school friends on the 14 April and 8 May - will be fun catching up and seeing them after so many years.

Anyone see the program on Richard III? Very good!

Must get back to housework - yuch!

Hope your o/h is OK georgy and that your son's ears get unblocked - don't they syringe anymore?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    morning xxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I want top Gear back as well, it was just so light and entertaining, perfect for sunday evening!!

I have a thyroid thing, and take tablets every day, and so does my friend, and she is part of a local group, so I kind of went to meet up with her and find out more!!

Georgy what on earth was your husband doing to damage himself?

I watched Poldark yesterday, what beautiful scenery!! And went to Southend airport, what a lovely airport, clean efficient, and almost totally empty. such a contrast to Stanstead, I will be going there again. WE also after dropping daughter there, went down to the pier, which felt so strange!

ITs always odd going back somewhere you knew as a child. And Southend has both not changed, but changed! We got on the pier and went to the end, but there is nothing there, except a tea hut, I used to love walking down the pier and getting a bag of chips at the end, but we were unlucky! I think the threat of fire has changed things.

What is odd is that both Clacton and Walton on the Naze which are similar period Victorian seaside towns, have changed massively in the past 10 years, with money being spent on them to improve them and cheer them up...

sorry i didn't know Augusta, about your Thyroid, is it a recent thing or have you had the problem for a while , not that i know much about it. Shall look into it more

as for husband 5 a side football ........ silly sod ...... :D but he is now away for the week,
    so i shall get busy with the house, and the spring clean........

we both love a pier...... fish and chip and hot doughnuts ...... and the slot machine :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all

Hope all is well..

Saw live transmission of SWAN LAKE last week - terrific! Just booked another ballet at the cinema. Really good!!!

Did a day school on Weimar Republic. Very interesting.

Seeing old school friends on the 14 April and 8 May - will be fun catching up and seeing them after so many years.

Anyone see the program on Richard III? Very good!

Must get back to housework - yuch!

Hope your o/h is OK georgy and that your son's ears get unblocked - don't they syringe anymore?

well if husband is in pain..... he is not moaning about it to me...... little sympathy here and he is away at the mo...... :D

3 time they have now syringed the ear, once a week ..... they are going to leave it alone now for a few weeks , but it is still a bit blocked but at least he can hear :D

swan lake sounds lovely...... and your old school friends thats great, i wonder ifs you have all changed that much :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    morning xxxx

Afternoon........ well early evening really :D xxx