Options

Transferring directory information

Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,893
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just got a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (don't snigger) and it is far too complex for my simple mind and I cannot make head nor tail of the instruction book.

By my usual method of poke and hope I found the directory and painstakingly loaded my contact details into the phone. I then found out I had stored them under "Device" which I assume means the phone's internal memory.

Can someone please tell me in simple words if it is possible, and if yes, how I can transfer the information to the SIM card. I don't fancy having to input the information all over again.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ConnorL9382ConnorL9382 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Alan it is advisable to keep your contacts as Google contacts then you can back them up to your Google account.
    To do this if same as my S5
    Open contacts
    press on three dots for menu
    select move device contacts to.....Google

Later in Settings/accounts/Google you can sync your accounts......if you have sync selected this will happen automatically.
    Your contacts will automatically download to any android phone you are using once you have logged into your google account, meaning you will never loose them.

If you really want them on your sim, for example moving to Windows/iphone perhaps
    Open contacts
    press on three dots for menu
    Settings/Contacts
    Import/Export contacts.....and pick export to sim card

Hope that helps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both. Easy when you know how isn't it!!!
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would absolutely second syncing your contacts with google as they will not only sync with android phones but any phone capable of syncing with your google account (including iPhones and I would expect Windows phone too), and this can be extended to your computer at home too. It is also a much more flexible way of dealing with contacts than using the SIM as you can have multiple numbers per contact (e.g. work/home/mobile), along with addresses and even a photo to easily recognise who it is when they are calling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps once I get used to using the phone as a phone I will try and do the Google set up.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Alan58 wrote: »
    Perhaps once I get used to using the phone as a phone I will try and do the Google set up.

There isn't really much set up to do. When you switched on the phone for the first time it will have taken you through setting up your Google account and the contact syncing is automatic after that. When you get a new handset you just log in with the same details and within minutes everything will be set up for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there is a difference straight away, prking. When I switched on my phone for the first time I was confronted with seemingly dozens of pretty ICONS for things I have never heard of and will never, ever use even if I did know what they are for..

I believe I saw a Google ICON among the swarm but at the moment I will be happy if I get the damn thing to make a call once the SIM has been updated with my old mobile number which should happen sometime today. Then maybe I will start to play with it
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there is a difference straight away, prking. When I switched on my phone for the first time I was confronted with seemingly dozens of pretty ICONS for things I have never heard of and will never, ever use even if I did know what they are for..

I believe I saw a Google ICON among the swarm but at the moment I will be happy if I get the damn thing to make a call once the SIM has been updated with my old mobile number which should happen sometime today. Then maybe I will start to play with it

That unfortunately is Samsung. They like to include two of everything in their phones and there's no explanation of when to use what.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can say that again. I have just counted 53 "apps" ICONs plus heaven alone knows how many things called "widgets"
  • Options
    Forum Member

When you first switched the phone on you shouldn't have seen icons straightaway. You should have been asked a few straightforward questions to get the phone set up.

Did you buy it new? If it was second hand then it sounds like the previous owner didn't reset it. That would explain your confusion, suddenly being dumped in the middle of someone else's setup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope brand new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, that's odd, it might be a bit confusing if you were to reset the phone just to complete the setup ☺

Look out for the "Settings" icon, this is where you will find the accounts settings to add your Google account (and/or a Samsung one). From there you can turn on or off the syncing of your contacts etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know what happened. When I first switched on the phone I swiped the home screen to get started and I may have had my thumb too far over the screen and pressed the Apps icon that's why I think I got all the icons on show.

Not to worry have found what you are referring to and will, or much more likely will not, get round to uploading the data to either the Google or Samsung site.

Just had fun and games pairing it via Bluetooth to my car radio. The units connected OK but when I tried to actually set up a call the radio kept reporting "no unit". Then buried in the instructions for the radio I found the magic phrase "switch ignition off and on again to complete set up" and bingo directory appeared on the radio's display and everything worked.

Many thanks for everyone's help.