Options

Normal TV or downloads/streaming?

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have just realised that I now watch very little normal TV these days bar the news and the odd series such as Masterchef and Broadchurch. We watch a lot of documentaries and also have worked through series such as Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones which are available on Netflix and SkyPlus On Demand via our smart tv.

Am I alone in this and is it the beginning of the end for normal tv?

Comments

• Options
    ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    It's the beginning of the end and a dawning of a new era! A much better one! Gone are the days of frantically rushing home to catch the latest instalment of your favourite program. Gone is the lament of the video recorder breaking down.

Today, I can say for myself, as far as I'm concerned Live TV is not an option in my house.
    1) The irritating adverts. Fast forward. Bye bye.
    2) Convenience.

A majority of what I watch is Netflix. A majority of television is OnDemand services. I see a model in perhaps 20 years where all television (apart from live events) are available OnDemand exclusively. And even then live streaming may be popular. Television as it is now is an antiquated and outdated system.

Luckily we can be forward thinking enough to adopt these practices as commonplace before the masses follow suit and rampant and unskippable advertising becomes part and parcel of streaming services. God I shall rue the inevitable day.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Have just realised that I now watch very little normal TV these days bar the news and the odd series such as Masterchef and Broadchurch. We watch a lot of documentaries and also have worked through series such as Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones which are available on Netflix and SkyPlus On Demand via our smart tv.

Am I alone in this and is it the beginning of the end for normal tv?

I worked in what was called an innovations centre. The role was to present what the possible future could be and look for products and solutions for our customer to reach their target customers. This is going back to the year 2000 it was common place then to see TV moving towards one in which users basically created their own channel from TV content.

With services like Youtube, netflix, sky on demand service that is basically what you are doing. I think the shocking aspect is really how long it has taken to get this far. At the time we believed it would only take 5 years maybe 10 at the most. Yet here we are 15 years on and it is still really in its early days.

When people say technology changes fast it does but for it to have any large social change to the way we operate it does take a lot longer then you think. People are quite slow to change habits I think it maybe another 15 years before we get close to breaking the hold on the model of TV watching when the majority move away form the current channel based TV programming guides.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep agree. If a TV program I want to watch is on itv or another station that has adverts I usually SkyPlus it and FF through the adverts. Sure we are not alone so it will be interesting to see how advertisers respond to this. Will we end up with the situation you used to have with some video/dvd rentals (back in the day :)) where it was not possible to FF through the adverts?
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really watch any normal tv these days.
    Only the news if something is happening at that specific moment,everything else is streamed or downloaded.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Yep agree. If a TV program I want to watch is on itv or another station that has adverts I usually SkyPlus it and FF through the adverts. Sure we are not alone so it will be interesting to see how advertisers respond to this. Will we end up with the situation you used to have with some video/dvd rentals (back in the day :)) where it was not possible to FF through the adverts?

Product placement?
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Maybe they will show adverts along the bottom of the screen or along the side like on the forums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't watch live TV anymore as such or TV as it is being broadcast, near all on catch up, streaming etc. Cancelled subscription tv near a year ago due to this growing move from us. The plus side of this is that legally we no longer require a TV licence as we no longer watch live TV. News, I stream international news channels off the internet as its somewhat more balanced.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watch normal TV - I'm not interested in paying for SkyPlus or Netflix because I don't watch much TV. Maybe one programme a night plus the news is all I bother to watch. I don't even record stuff, just watch on iPlayer later.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes definitely.

In fact our outdoor aerial really does need replacing as the picture breaks up regularly.

But since we got a NowTV box, which works over wifi, we find we watch most stuff we want on the iplayers, so have not bothered replacing the aerial yet.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is so much dross on TV that I am fast losing interest in TV shows.

I'm all about the music.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only non streaming/non dowloaded stuff I watch is live sport. Even then I stream a fair bit of football as I no longer have Sky Sports and a lot of the games I'd want to see (all of them that happen at 3pm on a Saturday) aren't on tv in this country anyway.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over air tv is my preference.
    Internet is not yet reliable enough. Also, for 1080p my internet speed is not fast enough for proper use.
    But also, in recent times sites such as YouTube are putting adverts all over stuff, and on some U can't skip them.....my satellite box can skip commercials with one button on over air broadcast.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    98.5% of TV was watched on a TV

http://www.thinkbox.tv/98.5-of-tv-was-watched-on-a-tv-set-in-2013

Total average daily TV viewing in the UK during 2013 was 3 hours, 55 minutes, 30 seconds a day per person. This comprised:

3 hours, 52 minutes a day of linear TV on a TV set. Excellent weather in 2013, which always affects TV viewing, and the fact that there were no significant sporting events have contributed to this being 9 minutes a day less than 2012. However the overall trend for viewing remains strong with the average viewer watching 12 minutes more TV a day in 2013 than ten years ago and (source: Broadcasters’ Audience Research Board [BARB] and UK Broadcaster data). The World Cup in 2014 is likely to boost linear TV viewing.
    3 minutes, 30 seconds a day via devices such as tablets, smartphones and laptops (or just over 3 half-hour TV shows a month). This is mostly on-demand but some live streams (source: figures supplied by UK broadcasters to Thinkbox).
  • Options
    JimmyCarrFanJimmyCarrFan Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I watch a lot of US shows here in the UK so the majority of my stuff is streamed via my Apple TV (or downloaded with no commercials), primarily because I want to watch closer to the same time that the US does. It's not always easy to avoid spoilers on social media...

For any UK specific stuff I tend to watch shows I've recorded on Sky+ at a more convenient time, which is often 1-2 hours after it's shown 'live'.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sky On Demand mostly here.

Other than live sports/news and Big Brother so I can join the discussion on the forum here.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    A bit of all of it really.

On BBC channels I will watch stuff "live" because other than their own promotions they don't show adverts.

On commercial channels I tend to record and then watch so I can FFWD through the adverts,

I do also watch bits and pieces on demand either because I'm bored and can't find anything to watch, or to catch up on stuff I could either not schedule to record, or totally forgot it was on.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanellis wrote: »
    It's the beginning of the end and a dawning of a new era! A much better one! Gone are the days of frantically rushing home to catch the latest instalment of your favourite program. Gone is the lament of the video recorder breaking down.
    That's hardly new. I replaced my VCR with a PVR over a decade ago and I haven't watched live television at my own house for about as long. These days I barely even care what channel something is on. If it sounds worth watching I just mark it for record (selecting series link if offered) and forget about it.

When I want to watch something I just look on my PVR to see what's sat on the disk waiting for me.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    since multi channel TV is just a series of repeats Im not bothered at all with live tv

its normally repeated within the week then couple of months later turns up somewhere else
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch quite a bit of TV, use streaming services and download. The majority of British shows I will watch on Sky. The majority of USA shows I will download, so that I can watch without adverts & without a ridiculous delay to appear on British screens.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch a lot of stuff via Sky On Demand. I also download a lot of films via Sky too, about 8 a week.

I like to watch live TV at 9pm most evenings, but if there is something on the BBC and something on ITV - for instance Silent Witness and Broadchurch last night, I record Broadchurch so I can zap through the adverts.

Edited to say, I do have a Kindle Fire and apparently I can download a lot of stuff via that, but I never have as I am a bit of a technophobe.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    I worked in what was called an innovations centre. The role was to present what the possible future could be and look for products and solutions for our customer to reach their target customers. This is going back to the year 2000 it was common place then to see TV moving towards one in which users basically created their own channel from TV content.

With services like Youtube, netflix, sky on demand service that is basically what you are doing. I think the shocking aspect is really how long it has taken to get this far. At the time we believed it would only take 5 years maybe 10 at the most. Yet here we are 15 years on and it is still really in its early days.

When people say technology changes fast it does but for it to have any large social change to the way we operate it does take a lot longer then you think. People are quite slow to change habits I think it maybe another 15 years before we get close to breaking the hold on the model of TV watching when the majority move away form the current channel based TV programming guides.

It isn't "shocking" at all, it is simply the time it has taken for technology to become affordable to such services to be commonplace. Even 10 years ago the vast majority of people either didn't have broadband or still only had dial-up access.

The company i work for used to belong to AT&T and the R&D department, Bell Labs, were predicting FTTH, fibre to the home, over 20 years ago and that still hasn't happened on a widescale basis.

I think there will always be a requirement for linear TV services however the delivery medium will change to a fully IP-based service over copper and fibre rather than over the air via an aerial as the vast majority of TV reception is at the moment in the next 20 years or so.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never download/stream. I watch a fair bit of TV, and always on a TV set. Only a handful of shows I watch live; most I Sky+ to watch at my leisure.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all options .....
    watch tv
    record and watch later
    download
    and stream if it's ***
    :D
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much only watch normal TV........there's always the plus one channels and I've got Virgin and they put a selection of programmes on their Catch Up service (though annoyingly never the ones I want to watch! )

In the past I used that internet site called Catch Up TV which streamed a lot of channels........I used it when my TV had a fault or the cable was down in the area......but last time I looked it was down to a handful of channels & hardly worth bothering with

I don't have any TV recording device nowadays since my last video recorder bit the dust......
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Might sound a bit, erm, counter-intuitive (if that's the right phrase) but I find the problem with on-demand TV is that there isn't enough of it to replace live TV.

What I mean is, we find a series that we like and then we give it a good hammering, watching 3 or 4 episodes a night, barely watching any live TV at all, but then we'll be finished with it in a month or so and we're back to watching whatever crap happens to appear on the telly while we're sat in front of it.