Wife Burned To Death For Leaving House Without Permission

Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,390
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A Pakistani man and his father have been arrested in the country's latest so-called "honor killing" after they set the son's wife alight for leaving the house without asking his permission, police said Sunday.

Muhammad Siddique became enraged on learning that his wife, Shabana Bibi, 25, had visited her sister without first asking him if she could go out, her brother Muhammad Azam said.

Siddique and his father then beat Bibi before dousing her with petrol and setting her on fire in Central Pakistan's Muzaffargarh district on Friday, Azam said.

Bibi had been married to Siddique for three years, during which time she had suffered repeated domestic abuse for the couple's inability to have children, Azam said.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/asia/2015/04/19/Husband-sets-wife-on-fire-in-Pakistan-honor-killing-.html

Yes. That's right. She disobeyed her husband so had to die.

Comments

• Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

Domestic abuse isn't pretty in any country is it. Sadly there is no country where it doesn't exist either, make of that what you will.

Or is there another agenda here??
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Domestic abuse isn't pretty in any country is it. Sadly there is no country where it doesn't exist either, make of that what you will.

Threads started by OP would suggest that
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Domestic abuse is horrific - but this - well it's not just the husband throwing a wobbly - heat of the moment after a big row/drinking - the father in law even helped.

If my husband hit me I'm pretty sure my father in law wouldn't join in the beating.
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar story:

Man hangs wife for not having kids
    Akram Baryar often tortured his wife brutally as a punishment for not giving birth to any child. The 30-year-old Parveen Bibi was a teacher at a local government school.

The accused again tortured her brutally and later hanged her to death in sheer frustration for not having children.

The FIR revealed that the accused hanged her to death with the help of his brother Muhammad Afzal. The Motra Police handed over the dead body to her parents after autopsy.

http://nation.com.pk/national/19-Apr-2015/man-hangs-wife-for-not-having-kids
    Forum Member
    Domestic abuse is horrific - but this - well it's not just the husband throwing a wobbly - heat of the moment after a big row/drinking - the father in law even helped.

If my husband hit me I'm pretty sure my father in law wouldn't join in the beating.

Sadly domestic abuse doesn't always follow the stereotypes, it is often nothing to do with a wobbly or a big row (if you are in an abusive relationship the last thing you do is row), it is often far more considered than that. Also it isn't always the husband. there are as many variations as there are people.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How about the one where Muslims treat women as owned chattels to be abused or killed at will?
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    How about the one where Muslims treat women as owned chattels to be abused or killed at will?

Some Muslims you mean, yes I imagine that is what the OP was going for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Muslims you mean, yes I imagine that is what the OP was going for.

Indeed, it doesn't include the women, obviously.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrific but I'm not sure people could get away with burning women to death in the UK without the murderers being arrested unless they make some of those major changes to the law the anti-Islamists are always banging on about.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful awful backwards country.
    Forum Member
    Indeed, it doesn't include the women, obviously.

Actually in extended families there have been accounts of the mother in laws being incredibly abusive to their sons wives as well.

Basically regardless of religion people can be real bastards to each other when they get the chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually in extended families there have been accounts of the mother in laws being incredibly abusive to their sons wives as well.

Basically regardless of religion people can be real bastards to each other when they get the chance.

That's true, but I wouldn't make any excuses for a religion which has turned brutality, murder, abuse and sheer horror into a fine art.
    Forum Member
    That's true, but I wouldn't make any excuses for a religion which has turned brutality, murder, abuse and sheer horror into a fine art.

I wouldn't make any excuses for such a religion either, it's why I am an atheist (among other reasons). The issue here is the behaviour of an individual and the culture within which they exist which enables them to feel this is acceptable. This isn't a culture which is unique to any one religion. Sadly.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unless you are expected to get your husband's permission before you go to see your sister, comparing him and his Dad to the pair of murderers in the OP is a bit pointless. .

You, your husband and his Dad are all products of a society that sees men and women differently to the society where the three people in the OP are from.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    *In the OP* That's horrific and vile :(
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

When my Dad beat my Mum if his Dad was there he egged him on and told him to hit harder.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet two of the pharmacists, one male one female, who work in my local chemists are both Asian, very sociable, chatty etc and the girl who isn't very old is a right good laugh and always flirts with me.....and i must be old enough to be her Grandfather!

I guess they are muslim....i don't know and don't really care. I don't even know if they are of Indian or Pakistani parentage because i can never tell the difference. All i know is they are both real nice people and thats all that matters to me.

Funny old world eh? :confused:
  • Eddie MunsterEddie Munster Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think OP and others like him prefer to concentrate on the 'Moozlims' because they seem to be fair game these days.

Similar things happen next door.. i.e India, where gang rapes and murders of females and the innocent seem a daily occurrence, but I guess he'll never mention that...
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I make it a poor attempt to downplay murder because that's what this case is.
    Forum Member
    I make it a poor attempt to downplay murder because that's what this case is.

Really? That's a bit of a poor attempt itself i think. It was referred to in the op as domestic abuse and I mirrored that phrase. Trying to imply that I am somehow trying to downplay the fact that it was also murder because I didn't state the bleeding obvious seems a bit desperate. I didnt reiterate the fact that she was burned to death either, am I downplaying that too? What a ridiculous angle to try and take.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a bigger oxymoron than 'honour killing'?
    Forum Member
    When my Dad beat my Mum if his Dad was there he egged him on and told him to hit harder.

Bloody helll James.:(:(
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Acid attacks and 'honour killings' happen a lot in Pakistan.

The Hindus and Christian minority is persecuted every week.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Bloody helll James.:(:(

He was just the same a alcoholic abuser.

My Mum wasn't allowed to leave the house either unless given permission at one point I don't think she went out for about 2 years not even to the corner shop.

Even when he was in prison he warned her he had friends watching and if she went out he would find out.

The police told her after yet another beating one day he would have killed her and if she didn't finally get away from him I do think she would be dead by now.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Really? That's a bit of a poor attempt itself i think. It was referred to in the op as domestic abuse and I mirrored that phrase. Trying to imply that I am somehow trying to downplay the fact that it was also murder because I didn't state the bleeding obvious seems a bit desperate. I didnt reiterate the fact that she was burned to death either, am I downplaying that too? What a ridiculous angle to try and take.

Ignoring the thread title, honour killing and the fact that this horrific act was done by her husband and father, you latched on to domestic abuse which was mentioned in the last paragraph so yes, Really.

" Or is there another agenda here??" you asked, well I know what you meant there but how about the OP being female and finds the treatment of women in these backward countries disgusting.