XFactor episodes to start at even later time to avoid Strictly

SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
Forum Member
XFactor episodes will be starting around 8.30pm to avoid Strictly come dancing:
WORRIED X Factor bosses will avoid a head-to-head battle with Strictly Come Dancing this year over fears they will lose out in the annual ratings war.

Boss Simon Cowell and ITV execs have already agreed to duck out of their usual battle to avoid a repeat of 2012 when they were hammered by their BBC1 rival.

Instead, X Factor will go out after the early show of Strictly has finished to ensure the biggest ratings possible.

In previous years, Cowell has purposefully aired the start of X Factor before Strictly has finished so viewers have to decide which to watch.

But he and his execs have scrapped similar plans this year to bounce back after ratings fell to a six-year low.

Bruce Forsyth’s BBC show romped home in the battle of prime time last year.

Almost half the Saturday night TV audience watched Louis Smith win on the dance floor as a peak of 14million viewers – a 49.1% share – tuned in for the climax of the show.

The X Factor final was watched by 1.3million fewer people.

A source said: “ITV will not risk going up against Strictly.

“They are concerned that the ratings were low last year and it is vital for advertising fees that they get big audiences.”
It means some episodes of XFactor will not finish until 10.30-11pm.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    XFactor episodes will be starting around 8.30pm to avoid Strictly come dancing:

It means some episodes of XFactor will not finish until 10.30-11pm.

seems they not expecting ratings to pick up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Maybe they're doing this so that the older audience Sharon O. "might" or "will" bring would be able to transfer from Strictly to the X Factor.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now that's the beginning of the end... hope they see sense.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Lol, Sharon osbourne will probably result in viewers turning off XFactor, not switching it back on.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    now that's the beginning of the end... hope they see sense.
    Seems like itv are slowly sidelining XFactor to worse timeslots and not schedule it in the heart of peak time. It reminds me of the way they killed off shows like Blind Date and Stars in their Eyes. Both huge shows in their prime like XFactor but after a few years of declining, itv started to show them in worse timeslots and eventually cancelled them. XFactor seems to be heading the same way too.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gawd please be joking!! It wont be that bad during audition stages coz its only on itv1 for an hr then itv2 for an hr, But
    I remember last year the first 2 or 3 live shows were 2 and a half to 3 hours long!!! So if it doesn't start til half 8, it wont finish til like half 11 at night then xtra factor on itv2 is another hour!!! so we're talking half 12 when it all finishes??? sounds too late for younger audiences
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wish they would end the show this should be the final year...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i wish they would end the show this should be the final year...

I have an 'off' button on my remote. Really useful.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except the article is just invented nonsense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that they were saying last year they didn't want X Factor to go on too long, that people liked to watch it until a certain time and then go out.
  • OMGItsAnnieOMGItsAnnie Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to be a clairvoyant to know that this is the last series of X Factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    You don't need to be a clairvoyant to know that this is the last series of X Factor.

looking that way... the dream is dead now, people know it is a tv show not the 1st steps to stardom which was the original dream for majority of contestants, when 'acts' like Rylan are being put through over real singers, that is when the penny drops!
    Also the winner forgot his name, when we are visiting his bedsit, on the final and crying think we all know what that was hoped would do for hit votes total! i just wish they had stuck to the ideal.. when the best most popular singer would win based on the voice....Like Leona Lewis...
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv just can't win. If they do clash with Strictly SamuelW and a lot of other posters would be saying ITV are being agressive and now When itv are not clashing with Strictly its now to late and the wrong timeslot. :rolleyes:
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv just can't win. If they do clash with Strictly SamuelW and a lot of other posters would be saying ITV are being agressive and now When itv are not clashing with Strictly its now to late and the wrong timeslot. :rolleyes:

And has failed to mention that the BBC have ran away from BGT and put The Voice on at about 8.30pm most weeks.

X Factor will have a 6-8 week head start over Strictly so by the time Strictly airs, it will be obvious whether its doing well or not. So I doubt any decisions like this will be made until the start to the middle of September.