Options

DAB Muxco Lincolnshire

Any further news about above or after 5 years have Muxco handed the license back

Comments

• Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Ofcom who delayed launch for a technical consultation and back on http://www.muxco.com/applications/lincolnshire/ launch will probably be 2014 after other mux launches?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    According to their Twitter, all parties are still very much interested.

I think it's quite clear what is causing the delay.
    One of the partners doesn't have the money and at the end of the day, what is the point of launching something incredibly more expensive, so you can listen to what you've already been listening to on another format?

DAB in Lincolnshire has a real chance of breaking open the commercial sector and offering real diversity, brand new radio stations that haven't been allowed to operate.

Based on this premise, and being one of the few areas where an alternative way to listen could've opened the door in offering a real variety of local listens - this should've been one of the first multiplexes to launch, or at least high priority.

I cannot describe how much the Lincs DAB delay enrages me haha
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DAB in Lincolnshire has a real chance of breaking open the commercial sector and offering real diversity, brand new radio stations that haven't been allowed to operate.

Based on this premise, and being one of the few areas where an alternative way to listen could've opened the door in offering a real variety of local listens - this should've been one of the first multiplexes to launch, or at least high priority.

It's a great theory but if potential stations were really queuing up to rent capacity on this multiplex the mux owner would get a move on and launch it as soon as possible from Belmont & High Hunsley.

I think the plain truth is that no commercial station is clamouring to get on DAB in Lincolnshire, least of all Lincs FM, who have expressed a desire to leave the Humberside mux when the contract expires. That would leave BBC Lincolnshire and not much else and that wouldn't pay the bills.

When the MoU funding comes through from the DCMS/licence fee etc. in 2014/15 it will happen but there is no commercial incentive to launch it before then as far as I can see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Interesting comments.
    So basically if there's no interest from stations clamouring to get on, they won't be in a rush to launch it?
    I'll throw another question out there, if the business isn't there, why did they bid for the multiplex licence in the first place?
  • Options
    lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    These franchises should be re-advertised. It's fairly obviously Muxco are not interested - and Lincs FM don't have the cash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These franchises should be re-advertised. It's fairly obviously Muxco are not interested - and Lincs FM don't have the cash.

That doesn't achieve anything - in fact it could slow the process even more because Ofcom would have to draft a licence advert, then put the applications online and then make a decision.

We would be well into 2014 by the time transmission contracts are signed, and it's likely that MuxCo will launch it next year anyway with the funding promised by the MoU agreement, which isn't available until after October 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting comments.
    So basically if there's no interest from stations clamouring to get on, they won't be in a rush to launch it?
    I'll throw another question out there, if the business isn't there, why did they bid for the multiplex licence in the first place?
    The bid had: BBC, Lincs FM and Compass stations plus 6 others:
    Country Lincs Country Lincs FM Group Ltd
    Easy Listening Easy Radio Easy Radio Limited
    Youth Shuffle MuxCo Lincolnshire Ltd
    Religious UCB UK United Christian Broadcasters Ltd
    Traffic and travel Traffic Radio Highways Agency
    Variety Speech Podcast Service Folder Media Ltd
    http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radio-broadcast-licensing/digital-radio/awards0708/awards/lincolnshire/
    Which makes the mux viable, but Sunrise closed Easy, Traffic radio closed and UCB went on D1.
    By 2014 it could be other stations will be signed?
  • Options
    lincolnmedialincolnmedia Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    That doesn't achieve anything - in fact it could slow the process even more because Ofcom would have to draft a licence advert, then put the applications online and then make a decision.

We would be well into 2014 by the time transmission contracts are signed, and it's likely that MuxCo will launch it next year anyway with the funding promised by the MoU agreement, which isn't available until after October 2013.

It can't get any slower than it is at the moment. Muxco have done NOTHING with this franchise and simply sat on it for many, many years. Other multiplexes are going up bar this one and a number of others. I wonder if they only took them on to sell the company off, plus these franchises, at a grosser profit in the future?

Let's face it, Lincolnshire DAB is not going to happen.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said three years ago Muxco should give the Lincolnshire licence back. Others said it was unfair I accused them of effectively being a non-starter and said this would delay things.

Three years later here we are, still no DAB for the area (and it's a blooming big area - takes good couple of hours to drive from north to south).

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1216157 is worth a read. I maintain to this day Muxco should hand the licence back.
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said three years ago Muxco should give the Lincolnshire licence back. Others said it was unfair I accused them of effectively being a non-starter and said this would delay things.

Three years later here we are, still no DAB for the area (and it's a blooming big area - takes good couple of hours to drive from north to south).

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1216157 is worth a read. I maintain to this day Muxco should hand the licence back.
    It's not just Lincolnshire, Muxco won the licences for nine areas, and it's only now that they're about to launch their first multiplex.

The hold-ups are actually down to Ofcom who delayed the whole process by several years with their consultations, but at long last it looks like things are finally back on track. The Lincolnshire mux is in line to be launched, it just isn't top of the list.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just Lincolnshire, Muxco won the licences for nine areas, and it's only now that they're about to launch their first multiplex.

The hold-ups are actually down to Ofcom who delayed the whole process by several years with their consultations, but at long last it looks like things are finally back on track. The Lincolnshire mux is in line to be launched, it just isn't top of the list.

Muxco held their licence long before Ofcom did any consultation. They also applied long before the recession kicked in and had every opportunity to get the multiplex up and running years ago.

Since then Lincs Group has made it absolutely clear they want out of DAB. Privately I understand the only reason they went on DAB in the first place is they were guaranteed a longer FM licence in return for supporting DAB.

In other words the majority shareholder now wants out, the group has already had some massive internal restructuring and changes to their studio arrangements. There appears to be money being lost left, right and centre. If this multiplex gets off the ground it could add further strain to an already delecate situation.

If Muxco Lincolnshire ever launches I will be amazed. At this rate the licence could be handed over to Ashley Tabor and he could stick on four or five variants of Heart and Capital. It would be rubbish for the residents of the region but, as I understand the market in Lincolnshire, it would be more than most people have now.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muxco held their licence long before Ofcom did any consultation. <snip>

Ofcom didn't just decide to hold a DAB planning consultation you know. There was much behind the scenes discussions before then. IIRC you've been given details about these many times.
  • Options
    BoolianBoolian Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully Lincs DAB will launch as to be honest the Yorkshire beam is quite erratic at times.

My wishlist of stations for Lincs DAB would be (ignoring any restrictions or current situations):

BBC Radio Lincolnshire (you have to stick this on really)
    Lincs FM (the commercial juggernaut of Lincs)
    Capital Yorkshire (receivable in some parts of Lincs on FM)
    Heart Peterborough (ditto)
    Gold Peterborough (ditto again)
    Smooth Radio East Midlands (receivable in Lincs however future uncertain)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since then Lincs Group has made it absolutely clear they want out of DAB.
    Not quite true from 2010
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200910/ldselect/ldcomuni/100/10012705.htm
    Mr Betton: There are two things there. First of all, one must remember the commitment to digital at the moment has been won over a contract period for the DAB multiplexes. We do not have an option to drop out of the digital commitments that we have made. Those commitments were made around 2000/01 when the optimism for speed of takeup of DAB was significant. I think why a group like mine is very supportive of what is being proposed in the Digital Economy Bill is I have one large service which covers 800,000 people. It is as big as many of the licences held by the large groups, but I also have very small licences and I cannot see under the current DAB setup that there is a way that those can be carried on DAB. Those businesses are successful. Some of them make small amounts of money. They are popular with their listeners and I need the certainty for FM, but you are right. It was a difficult call for us to support DAB in the initial phase, but our larger services are popular and listened to by many people and we would not want those not to have the opportunity of going on the DAB platform. We would not equally want the small services to be forced to contemplate something which would turn the business into one that was unviable.
    So although they want to keep the small stations on FM only, they still want the chance to put Lincs FM, Compass and maybe the new Lincs country stations on DAB, and from the Muxco website are still potential 51% shareholders in the mux!
    http://www.muxco.com/applications/lincolnshire/
    Unless you have any other info?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Not quite true from 2010
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200910/ldselect/ldcomuni/100/10012705.htm

So although they want to keep the small stations on FM only, they still want the chance to put Lincs FM, Compass and maybe the new Lincs country stations on DAB, and from the Muxco website are still potential 51% shareholders in the mux!
    http://www.muxco.com/applications/lincolnshire/
    Unless you have any other info?

It's in the Chairman's Statement in the last available accounts for Lincs FM Group Limited (year ended 30 September 2011).

I don't have a link to a free website but it says:
    Net debt has been reduced by £243,199 and we expect to accelerate our debt repayment as we cease to be committed to the unnecessary expense of DAB transmission, so that we will be free of long term debt by the 2014/15 financial year. We are fully focused on reducing the Company's net debt which is now 17% lower than it was two years ago....
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muxco held their licence long before Ofcom did any consultation. They also applied long before the recession kicked in and had every opportunity to get the multiplex up and running years ago.

Since then Lincs Group has made it absolutely clear they want out of DAB. Privately I understand the only reason they went on DAB in the first place is they were guaranteed a longer FM licence in return for supporting DAB.

In other words the majority shareholder now wants out, the group has already had some massive internal restructuring and changes to their studio arrangements. There appears to be money being lost left, right and centre. If this multiplex gets off the ground it could add further strain to an already delecate situation.

If Muxco Lincolnshire ever launches I will be amazed. At this rate the licence could be handed over to Ashley Tabor and he could stick on four or five variants of Heart and Capital. It would be rubbish for the residents of the region but, as I understand the market in Lincolnshire, it would be more than most people have now.

Muxco are not the only one awaiting to start but now digital who only a few weeks started their multplex in Oxford & northants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It's in the Chairman's Statement in the last available accounts for Lincs FM Group Limited (year ended 30 September 2011).

I don't have a link to a free website but it says:
    It could be that the current small scale FM stations DAB contracts run out in 2014, but if Lincs FM can find some cash towards a sharehold in the new Lincs mux, then it will get Lincs FM and Compass to cover most of Lincolnshire at a reduced rate.
    But must agree if the Lincs FM group is in such a poor condition it raises a question mark if they go on the local mux?
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    It was Ofcom who delayed launch for a technical consultation and back on http://www.muxco.com/applications/lincolnshire/ launch will probably be 2014 after other mux launches?

2014 been and gone
    nearly quarter of way through 2015 and nothing happening
    Muxco Lincolnshire will not happen I think it's obvious. Maybe we should start putting pressure on OFCOM and local MPs to force Muxco to return the contract and for rebids to go in (excluding Muxco).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2014 been and gone
    nearly quarter of way through 2015 and nothing happening
    Muxco Lincolnshire will not happen I think it's obvious. Maybe we should start putting pressure on OFCOM and local MPs to force Muxco to return the contract and for rebids to go in (excluding Muxco).
    From the Wohnort site
    On-Air: June/July 2015 following closure of Yorkshire regional ensemble (tbc)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the MXR thread now Sept 2015 but with higher power Belmont TX
    http://www.muxco.com/blog/
    It’s been a long time coming, but we’re in the process of building the infrastructure necessary to launch our Lincolnshire multiplex.

Our progress, so far:

Circuits into the stations have been ordered and mostly installed.
    We’ve been installing new cabins at Lincoln to house the additional equipment. We’ve also been installing a new antenna system at Belmont to handle the extra load and the modifications.
    The transmitters have been installed at Belmont and the others will be installed, partly alongside the work on the new cabins. Grantham is then next on the list.
    We’ve been facing some distribution issues with our wireless links to the sites due to the large number of wind farms in the area. However we’ve been gradually working around these and also preparing some contingency planning too.
    If everything goes to plan, it’ll launch in September this year.
    Lincs Country is no longer in the launch list?
    MuxCo Lincolnshire will launch in September 2015 and include:

Lincs FM
    Compass FM
    BBC Radio Lincolnshire
    In addition, we will carry further radio services, and will announce details of these nearer launch.
    No Heart, Capital or Smooth so far but the Capital and Smooth extra stations are on D1?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember on another thread Global responded to someone saying Capital and Heart will not be on Lincolnshire.

I would be surprised if Smooth East Midlands doesn't appear (possibly not at launch) as Lincolnshire is part of its TSA and Smooth East Midlands is already on Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire
  • Options
    phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boolian wrote: »
    I seem to remember on another thread Global responded to someone saying Capital and Heart will not be on Lincolnshire.

I would be surprised if Smooth East Midlands doesn't appear (possibly not at launch) as Lincolnshire is part of its TSA and Smooth East Midlands is already on Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire

Smooth East Midlands is owned by Communicorp and they are not interested due to the expense of put stations digitally on multiplex where there is no FM coverage due to the expense. Heart Yorkshire is not be added to the Humberside multiplex instead Gold is be added and Communicorp have removed Heart North Wales from the Liverpool, Chester and Wrexham multiplex because it was out of the FM transmission area being in Liverpool and Chester and don't seem in a hurry to transfer it to another multiplex in North Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smooth East Midlands is owned by Communicorp and they are not interested due to the expense of put stations digitally on multiplex where there is no FM coverage due to the expense. Heart Yorkshire is not be added to the Humberside multiplex instead Gold is be added and Communicorp have removed Heart North Wales from the Liverpool, Chester and Wrexham multiplex because it was out of the FM transmission area being in Liverpool and Chester and don't seem in a hurry to transfer it to another multiplex in North Wales.

Lincolnshire is part of Smooth East Midlands broadcast area though
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/radiolicensing/mcamaps/al000277.pdf
  • Options
    Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in south Lincolnshire and will be lucky if I'll receive the Lincs Mux. Here we are covered by Peterborough so DAB-wise the "wrong" BBC Local i.e. Cambs not Lincs.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member

When I do listen to Heart, I always prefer the North Wales version. Their decision to take it off DAB means that it can't be received (or very poorly) in Connah's Quay, Flint and places like Bagillt and Mostyn along the North Wales Coast Road (A548), Heart North West obviously blasts in on both 105.4 FM & DAB via the Liverpool multiplex, guess those towns won't be appearing on the North Wales Town challenge again!

Heart North Wales on 106.9 is just Silk 106.9 from Macclesfield along the A548, and the Prestatyn relay on 107.3 doesn't go down towards Flint at all.

Good news about Lincs multiplex actually launching, I imagine it being like the Stoke multiplex was at one point, just a couple of stations on it!