2013's box office dropping massively from 2012

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Neonoptic wrote: »
    Second most.... Jurassic Park has grossed $1.029bn

Odd, because I've always heard it listed as their most profitable film. This link is a prediction, but I'm sure I've seen it listed as fact on THR.

Most probably me being an idiot....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-ceo-despicable-me-2-597070
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't find it disappointing at all. How good was anyone expecting it to be?? A prequel set in their university days? It could have been way way worse. I enjoyed it a lot more than Brave and Cars 2.

The film itself was quite enjoyable on its own but when it has the 'Monsters' brand attached to it, it ought to have been much better. Last time Pixar made a sequel to a film that was released over a decade ago, it was Toy Story 3. Compared to that standard, I must admit that MU disappointed lots of people. Let's hope Finding Dory is more TS3 than MU.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Profits are not the same as box-office.

I doubt whether the actual profit total of Jurassic Park is in the public domain. And Spielberg probably took a huge chunk of cash.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Profits are not the same as box-office.

I doubt whether the actual profit total of Jurassic Park is in the public domain. And Spielberg probably took a huge chunk of cash.

I checked, JP grossed more and was cheaper.

It was reported for Minority Report that Spielberg and Cruise took about 20% off the box office, so Spielberg's fee is probably around 10%. Which could explain JP being topped by Despicable Me 2...
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    A much less likely pick but also a possibility in my opinion is Star Trek. Now I know it's an extremely large jump from $400m to $1bn but it can be done (Batman Begins to Dark Knight being a prime example), and again it'll be down to how well reviewed the film is but there is seems to be some major hype for this film.

This is why I'm not in stock and shares...

The Hangover III also performed largely bellow my expectations as well.