Blackberry Z30 out next week

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Well recently I seen more apps appearing on my playbook the past few months but it doesn't have bb10. The z10 has many more bb10 apps to be honest. Of course there wouldn't be a massive number of apps yet, it was the same on android when it was a new OS. I had a htc hero which didn't have nowhere near the number of apps the iPhone had. It had plenty of scrappy ones in the early days, but developers got onboard as the platform grew so did the number and quality of the apps.

So I don't really buy or not buy based on app numbers, rather look at core function, usability, I know bb10 come with a lot of good baked in features as many phones do now and with flash still around and html 5 there is so much you can get from a good browser. Not everyone needs a million apps or a hundred rips off versions of angry birds etc.

The app argument is just a cheap way to put down a platform, because if a platform is given a chance to grow, then developers will come oboard. However a combination of bad press and many errors by blackberry. Themselves who haven't helped their cause over the years has and serious lack of marketing, have meant devs have just not been attracted to bb10. It really is a shame. They do have a good os on their hands and some decent new hardware but competition is so fierce now, there is no margin for error. BlackBerry have just made too many over the years. Could have been so different since BB had a head start on the smartphone market.

Well said, I think you sum up the feeling on Crackberry!

BB10 is an incredible OS. Not just because I say so, because, being a BlackBerry owner comes with it's own special curse

'Oh! You've got a BlackBerry!' comes the semi-sneer (never quite understood this but I think it's a hangover from the first iPhone when they made a game changing phone PLUS how BB refused to change and made it easy for the rest).

5 minutes later with a quick BB10 demo (mine is a Z10) and you get this sort of dazed expression and usually a glance back at their own phone in a weird, sort of half vacant way. I think it's because all their pre-conceptions of what a BlackBerry should be (old fashioned, not capable) have just been utterly demolished.

I've had iPhone and Android users literally say 'Wow, I wish my phone did that' on features as basic as the fact that it picks up a bloody good signal. makes calls brilliantly (that was the point in the first place of a phone, yes?) the speed of the thing in swiping and opening apps, the incredible convenience of the HUB (no opening and closing communication apps such as Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail, SMS. BBM, Whatsapp etc, get a message - there it is. Want to reply, hit reply) right through to apps (yes, honestly!)

Especially the BB10 exclusive swearing weather one which is REALLY funny.

Truth is, BlackBerry marketing has let the company down badly but not the developers who, by February 2013, had created a cracking OS based on QNX which they are working incredibly hard on and updating all the time.

Roll on 10.2 in mid October, I'm looking forward to it already!

Oh, and had I not bought the Z10 in February on contract for 2 years I would have got a pre-order in for the Z30 now. As it is I am really weighing up going for it anyway as it is one hell of a phone.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roll on 10.2 in mid October, I'm looking forward to it already!

Oh, and had I not bought the Z10 in February on contract for 2 years I would have got a pre-order in for the Z30 now. As it is I am really weighing up going for it anyway as it is one hell of a phone.

You might want to read this thread. Lets just say if they are still in business by then :eek:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1892648
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to read this thread. Lets just say if they are still in business by then :eek:

Terrible terrible bad luck (a lot fo which BBs own doing) But not only is the z30 up against it, with the release of the new iphone, but now there will be a wave of negativity and uncertainly surrounding the future of BB. Who will want a phone, that will likely become unsupported? Regardless of wether or not that happens is irrelevant. Simply the fear from potential buyers will be enough to put them off buying. It's not as if BB are doing enough to alleviate these fears either. Which just goes right back to the fact that BB continue to make blunder after blunder.

A terrible shame because whomever may take over, there is no guarantee they will continue on with the Z10 or the Z30 in terms of supporting it. With the share price also tumbling, and investors will be selling off their shares en masse it really isn't looking good.

I love the optimism from BB owners, I don't think you would get the same loyalty from Iphone owners if their ship began to sink, they would likely hop on to the next big thing, but BB owners always do come across quite well and without ego and arrogance. But I don't know if it's too early to say wake up and smell the coffee, but the writing has been on the wall for some time. Even I at the start of the year was hopeful BB would pull it off, with the Z10 launch, but they really didn't market it at all. Especially in the UK, which was a good BB base. They had to really give people a reason to switch and put up a convincing argument. Yet potential buyers never really got to know BB10 or understand it. Again, that's BBs fault.

To their credit, they have given it a go, a last hurrah by the way things have panned out, but nonetheless they have tried. But the market is less and less receptive to phones that do not have Apple or Android as their names. I think a sale/buyout isn't far away.
    Forum Member

Thanks (have just posted on there) but they'll still be in business - no doubt at all!

They have too much money in the bank (short term) and are too juicy with the OS as a product (long term) to potential buyers.

10.2 won't be a game changer for BlackBerry in terms of market share vs an iPhone5S/C launch. But if you play a long game it WILL make a belting product even better, and that's attractive.

Something is going on at BlackBerry. They have just released 2 Playbook updates (one OS and one Bridge from BB10) for a product they have effectively discontinued.

Why? Not for love!

Cross platform BBM will add massive value due to the bizzarre way these things are valued by the stock market and the CEO anticipated a loss this quarter though not as big as the preliminary reports (although, by his lack of appearances recently, notably the Z30 launch) I suspect he is on his way)

But actually, who cares who owns the company?

I tell you this, if a Richard Branson or anyone who knows how to sell, took BlackBerry 10 to market in it's present (and future form - remember, they're working way ahead of what we see) they'd make a real mess of Apple and Android's market share.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one is dead in the water already

Bye Bye BlackBerry
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    This one is dead in the water already

Bye Bye BlackBerry

Oh dear!

Please re-read and try again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks (have just posted on there) but they'll still be in business - no doubt at all!

They have too much money in the bank (short term) and are too juicy with the OS as a product (long term) to potential buyers.

10.2 won't be a game changer for BlackBerry in terms of market share vs an iPhone5S/C launch. But if you play a long game it WILL make a belting product even better, and that's attractive.

Something is going on at BlackBerry. They have just released 2 Playbook updates (one OS and one Bridge from BB10) for a product they have effectively discontinued.

Why? Not for love!

Cross platform BBM will add massive value due to the bizzarre way these things are valued by the stock market and the CEO anticipated a loss this quarter though not as big as the preliminary reports (although, by his lack of appearances recently, notably the Z30 launch) I suspect he is on his way)

But actually, who cares who owns the company?

I tell you this, if a Richard Branson or anyone who knows how to sell, took BlackBerry 10 to market in it's present (and future form - remember, they're working way ahead of what we see) they'd make a real mess of Apple and Android's market share.

Sorry but this really is total delusion!
    Forum Member
    Sorry but this really is total delusion!

That's interesting, what makes you say that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's interesting, what makes you say that?

I honestly don't know where to start! It clear you are passionate about Blackberry but they are way behind in the market now with ever mounting losses. No company can go on making huge losses every Quarter. Investors will sell up leaving the company vulnerable. Someone will buy its IP portfolio and there will be little else left. Sure the Z30 looks good. But it wont be enough to save them no matter how good the product is.
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't know where to start! It clear you are passionate about Blackberry but they are way behind in the market now with ever mounting losses. No company can go on making huge losses every Quarter. Investors will sell up leaving the company vulnerable. Someone will buy its IP portfolio and there will be little else left. Sure the Z30 looks good. But it wont be enough to save them no matter how good the product is.

I agree (but not quite about the losses every quarter but I think we'd get bogged down in financial semantics!)

Top and bottom is that the Z30 is a fantastic phone but, as per bloody usual, has been let down by BlackBerry in the marketing department.

The good news in all this (not for me, mind!) is that they have downgraded the Z10 to an entry level product today so everyone can have one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree (but not quite about the losses every quarter but I think we'd get bogged down in financial semantics!)

Top and bottom is that the Z30 is a fantastic phone but, as per bloody usual, has been let down by BlackBerry in the marketing department.

The good news in all this (not for me, mind!) is that they have downgraded the Z10 to an entry level product today so everyone can have one!

They will have to sell the Z10 at a loss. Not a great thing to do since they had high hopes for it.
    The massive loss is mainly attributable to the disastrous sales performance of the company's Z10 smartphone, its first to run its new BlackBerry 10 OS. BlackBerry says it will take a "primarily non-cash, pre-tax charge against inventory and supply commitments in the second quarter of approximately $930 million to $960 million" due mainly to the Z10. In the second quarter, the company shipped just 3.7 million smartphones, most of which were running BlackBerry 7, the company's older operating system.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/4753080/blackberry-cutting-4500-jobs-shifts-focus-to-prosumer-and-enterprise
    Forum Member
    They will have to sell the Z10 at a loss. Not a great thing to do since they had high hopes for it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/4753080/blackberry-cutting-4500-jobs-shifts-focus-to-prosumer-and-enterprise

To be honest that is already neither here nor there. Given the total lack of marketing support BB10 received from the company the poor thing was doomed.

The only chance they really have with the Z10 is to make it a promotional item because, in my experience, everyone who has got one loves it and becomes a convert pretty quickly. In my company there was much general wailing about moving to BB10 but they all love the phone (apart from the one who insisted on a Q10 and he's like a religious convert!)

That plus they have to place clear water between the Z10 and the Z30...