Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt discussion thread

Comments

• itsJoeitsJoe Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current on episode 3 so far and really enjoying it!
  • ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carol Kane, who plays the landlady is a comedic genius and one of the best things about the show.
  • ErlaniErlani Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I've watched the trailer and it looked mildly amusing, what I can't figure it is this, she's been in a bunker for 15 years, is this a contemporary setting? if so she went into the bunker in 2000 and came out in 2015, but she seems totally amused by everything, not that much has changed in 15 years.

Society overall hasn't changed much at all but there are lots of little things that make up everyday life and affect how people interact with one another that have changed greatly in those 15 years. The songs, pop culture references, and everyday slang that people use is very very different.

This is demonstrated every time kimmy frustrates Xanthippe with her outdated slang, in one episode Titus has her making a list of words and phrases not to use, when she has her birthday party and ends up disagreeing with Titus over music list, whenever she makes references to the bible because most of what she's been taught by the reverend is not in the bible and sounds like gibberish to every one else.

There is also small technological leaps in the pats 15 years like touch screen phones that are also cameras, maps, calendars, notebooks, internet connections, etcetera. When kimmy was abducted phones were for calling, texting and checking the time.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erlani wrote: »
    Society overall hasn't changed much at all but there are lots of little things that make up everyday life and affect how people interact with one another that have changed greatly in those 15 years. The songs, pop culture references, and everyday slang that people use is very very different.

This is demonstrated every time kimmy frustrates Xanthippe with her outdated slang, in one episode Titus has her making a list of words and phrases not to use, when she has her birthday party and ends up disagreeing with Titus over music list, whenever she makes references to the bible because most of what she's been taught by the reverend is not in the bible and sounds like gibberish to every one else.

There is also small technological leaps in the pats 15 years like touch screen phones that are also cameras, maps, calendars, notebooks, internet connections, etcetera. When kimmy was abducted phones were for calling, texting and checking the time.

Plus she would've been 14/15 years old going into the bunker, so really she's adapting to adult life, as well as going from a small rural town to a big city.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Watched the first 3 eps last week and found it funny, mostly because it's off-beat and the lead actress is very charming. I was worried that it might have gone a bit 'Miranda' in its style, but luckily it has steered away from being so off-beat that it's just silly.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched first 5/6 episodes last night complete binge. I really enjoy it.
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Just binge watched the whole series on my day off work. Great show. Ellie Kemper Is brilliant. I need more episodes. Don't think I can wait a year for series 2.
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Titus might be one of my favourite TV characters ever! I've never laughed so much at one character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the whole show over two days! Absolutely loved it. Tempted to watch it all over again ! The last scene with Jacqueline walking off had me in stitches
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    haven't read through the thread as don't want any spoilers but looking for something light over the easter hols... is Kimmy worth watching?

what would you compare it to?
  • mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    It's definitely worth watching - it's only 13 episodes long.

First episode apart, it has plenty of clever lines and at least one laugh out loud moment in each episode.

As a comparison, it's exactly the same humour as 30 Rock - Kimmy is a mix of Liz Lemon and Kenneth Parcell.

It really is great stuff but I was a big fan of 30 Rock so I guess I didn't need much convincing.
  • lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a thread for Season 2?
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I really love this show, about 2/3rd through season 2 already and it only dropped yesterday- It's so charming and has a lot of life lessons wrapped up in it :)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished season 2. Marvellous stuff. The whole cast is so good, Ellie Kemper and Tituss Burgess in particular.

Loved the cameos.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    only discovered s1 in Jan ... Absolutely loved it! I had not watched 50 rock...for me it reminded me of ugly betty and ally mcbeal...meets SNL comedy sketches....a how loved S2 too... I agree each episode has some great lines and things just make you laugh so much ....great chacterisation
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to add;
    Mikey's puppet Grandma! Totally bonkers. I laughed every time we saw her.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I'm not enjoying S2 as much. S1 was an absolute delight but it has lost a lot of its freshness and charm.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    For some reason I'm not enjoying S2 as much. S1 was an absolute delight but it has lost a lot of its freshness and charm.

Agree. I'm only 5 eps in so not making any judgements yet, but it definitely seems to have lost something from season 1.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Jacqueline Voorhees stole the show in Season 2.
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    For me, Jacqueline Voorhees stole the show in Season 2.

My favourite character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished season 2 now - liked it but didn't love it. I think it really suffered from not having an overarching plot point like they did in season 1 with them escaping and then the trial - the 'mom' stuff wasn't strong enough I didn't think. I also felt like the characters were all involved in their own storylines a lot - it wasn't like the first season where Kimmy was the central focus of every other character, there were episodes in season 2 where we'd see both Jacqueline and Kimmy but with no interaction between the two of them. I can understand them moving towards more of an ensemble piece but it just wasn't to my taste I don't think.

The cliffhanger at the end obviously means they're gearing up for a third season - whether that's been signed and not announced yet (I can imagine the popularity of season 1 would have been enough for Netflix to sign up for a multiple-season deal) or if they're waiting to make any final decisions we'll probably never know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and also - I found it weird that Tina Fey was in it again but playing a completely different character this time around. Can't think of many other examples of this being done?
  • gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't enjoy season 2 as much as season 1. The standout character for me was Tina Fey's. She should become a bigger part of the next season, because she is one who made me laugh the most often throughout the episodes. Still a few good one liners here and there with the other characters, but I felt like I was finishing it simply to finish it.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »
    Oh and also - I found it weird that Tina Fey was in it again but playing a completely different character this time around. Can't think of many other examples of this being done?

Perhaps it was in the same vein as Rachel Dratch in 30 Rock Season 1?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was in the same vein as Rachel Dratch in 30 Rock Season 1?

That was different though, RD was in the pilot of 30 Rock but then replaced by JK for the actual show. in season 1 of Kimmy Tina Fey played a character, and then in season 2 she played a different character. Nothing wrong with it really, I just found it a bit jarring!