Options

Can Apple Supply Serial Number of Previous iPad

RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I sold an iPad on a forum this week, the buyer is claiming that there is a big chip on the corner of the casing. I know that the item left me in 100% condition and that he is trying to pull a fast one.

Sadly, I did not take a copy of the serial number of the item before sending it out. Is there any way Apple can supply me with the serial number of this from my iTunes account?

Comments

• Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I sold an iPad on a forum this week, the buyer is claiming that there is a big chip on the corner of the casing. I know that the item left me in 100% condition and that he is trying to pull a fast one.

Sadly, I did not take a copy of the serial number of the item before sending it out. Is there any way Apple can supply me with the serial number of this from my iTunes account?
    Do you have any backups left? If you do the serial numbers will be in these.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Do you have any backups left? If you do the serial numbers will be in these.

That was the first thing I thought of. Moron that I am I deleted it when I got my iPad Air yesterday.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call his bluff, if that is what it is, and say you have kept a record of the serial number and IMEI number also the item is security marked. Ask him to supply the numbers before considering what to do next.
  • Options
    pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand what use the serial number is to you. He says there's a chip on the corner, you say there isn't.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    pumazooma wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand what use the serial number is to you. He says there's a chip on the corner, you say there isn't.

I think the scenario is that the buyer has an iPad with a chip in the corner. Buys a new one from the seller and then send back the one with the chip in the corner for a refund so gets a non-chipped iPad. That's how I understand it.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the iPad was registered with Apple, against your Apple ID. Login on the following link and it will be there if you haven't deleted it already.

https://supportprofile.apple.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    Call his bluff, if that is what it is, and say you have kept a record of the serial number and IMEI number also the item is security marked. Ask him to supply the numbers before considering what to do next.

I tried that but I reckon he has dropped it after receipt.
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I think the scenario is that the buyer has an iPad with a chip in the corner. Buys a new one from the seller and then send back the one with the chip in the corner for a refund so gets a non-chipped iPad. That's how I understand it.

Exactly.
    If the iPad was registered with Apple, against your Apple ID. Login on the following link and it will be there if you haven't deleted it already.

https://supportprofile.apple.com/

The iPad doesn't seem to be there. Mind you nor does my current iPhone and new iPad either.
  • Options
    Adam NortonAdam Norton Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Silly question, but did you keep the box, invoice when you received it?

Or you could see if the device is still in the iPodDevices.xml located in

Windows 8
    C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes

Windows Vista / Windows 7
    \Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes

On Windows XP I think it's from my memory of the XP system

\Documents and Settings\<userName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

For Mac, it might be here
    /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist

Otherwise, you could try some HDD data recovery software to see if you can recover the backup?
  • Options
    Adam NortonAdam Norton Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    My apologises. The Windows 8 location should be the same as Windows Vista / Windows 7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Adam, many thanks indeed, that info gave me what I was looking for.

Sadly for me the serial matches up with the photos of the damaged one the seller sent me so looks like I will need to chalk that one down to experience.

Thanks though.:)
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Adam, many thanks indeed, that info gave me what I was looking for.

Sadly for me the serial matches up with the photos of the damaged one the seller sent me so looks like I will need to chalk that one down to experience.

Thanks though.:)

Did you take insurance out with the courier that you used to ship the iPad?
    If you did can you claim from them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you take insurance out with the courier that you used to ship the iPad?
    If you did can you claim from them?

I did but it was packed in the original box, bubble wrapped then placed in a larger box so impossible to have the damage described occur.

I reckon he has dropped it himself on opening and has chanced his luck.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't you have photos in the listing? If so, the dated picture would show it was OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Didn't you have photos in the listing? If so, the dated picture would show it was OK.

The photos I took were less than conclusive as the alleged damage was just on the corner. With hindsight I should have taken photos of all parts of the ipad but you live and learn.

I have had to just take this one on the chin, he knows it was cheaper for me to issue a partial refund that to pay for return costs to myself then resell at a lower price. Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth but never mind.
  • Options
    Peter_CarlosPeter_Carlos Posts: 87
    Forum Member

Well, I am not sure abut this but I don't think you are going to get the serial number now! maybe you can try giving a call to the support !