Options

Now that we have GaGa and Cheryl, do we still need Kylie and Madonna?

Comments

• Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    GracieL wrote: »
    No one will ever come close to Kylie and Madonna, both have 4 decades of successful music and are still going strong especially with the competition of more recent artists, both (more Madonna) have changed pop music, many #1 and tops 10 hits world wide and very successful tours. Singers like Cheryl Cole can only dream

What about Cher!? She's been around since like the 1890's (lol jk) and still tours(?) and makes music.

For current artists and longevity I would add Pink into the mix. Going since 2000 and coming up to her 15th year. I could honestly, realistically, still see her going for another 15 years and not just saying that as a fan (I think she'd cut back a bit on the acrobatics though lol)
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit pointless comparing these people. Madonna dominated the music industry for years and was a huge star. None of the other three will ever come close to her in terms of longevity but Madonna's best days are a long way in the past now.

Kylie hasn't done badly over the years although I've never been keen on her material. She has undoubtedly worked hard and must be a good performer for her fans to stick with her.

I thought that Gaga would have done better, she started off well but seemed to lose her way quite quickly. She has some talent but it remains to be seen if she will last the distance.

I don't think Cheryl deserves to be mentioned with the three above as she has a mediocre voice and little in the way of talent beyond that of promoting herself. I would be very surprised if she is still recording in a few years time, let alone ten years.
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Dance in the Dark, for example, is literally a Madonna song.

Try Depeche Mode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrm0dHbCDU

Gaga and/or her team are very good at stealing from talented others; which is a talent, I guess. Here she is in her Applause video, looking very much like Ronny (who was clearly a fan of Marlene!). All is Full of [Bad Romance] Love, anyone? (THX 1138 and so on...)

Grace, Madonna and Gaga have all been inspired by Dietrich and others. It either matters to you, or it doesn't. If it does, they're all unoriginal (Grace much less so, I'd argue); and if it doesn't, you're free to enjoy the directions they've taken. But neither Madonna nor Gaga have magicked creativity out of thin air. Rather they've added sections to the Scalextric of pop.

(The worst case of theft in music I can recall is Fugees' Ready or Not. The Score was an album loaded with samples, but they didn't initially credit Enya for Boadicea.)
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole is a marketing artifice and has no relevance to music whatsoever. I am afraid Lady Gaga, though unbelievable successful, is the Emperor's New Clothes - trying to be something new but really just an amalgam of many different musical influences. She just happens to be thousands of times more successful than Ms Cole who is like a minnow in the wake of a killer whale.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    It's just not about the imagery, you need music to last. Madonna has the imagery but also the music to back it up. From her very first album to now to her many classic albums.

From Nile to Pharrel have said how very impress they are with Madonna, all her producers have praised her producing music.

Gaga is all image and her music has become generic. If she wants to last, you need damn good songs. It's not just about imagery.

The only artist that has a lasting career is Beyoncé. She knows it's the whole package.

Cheryl is just a plank, without Simon Cowell, she'll forever be an hair ad.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gaga is pretty much done now. Beyoncé, Rihanna and Katy Perry have completely overshadowed her with their new releases. Gaga was pretty much a short term phenomenon in the same way that the Spice Girls were in the 90s.

Madonna has had a career that stretches over 30 years and is still able to top the album charts and have sell out world tours. Madonna will forever be relevant. Her 13th album comes out later this year is it is certain to top all the charts once again and put her above Elvis as having most number 1 albums by a solo artist. Madonna will always sell music. Gaga simply isn't anymore. ARTPOP was a huge flop by her standards and expectations. Gaga went from being the top of her generation to now being outsold by Ariana Grande. That's quite a comedown. Madonna may sell less than she used to but that's in line with her age. 14 year olds are hardly going to rush out to buy a Madonna song whereas Gaga is still young and should be relevant. She just isn't anymore.

As for Cheryl. She owes her entire post 2007 career to Simon Cowell and Max Clifford. Without them she wouldn't be who she is today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Cheryl has kind of passed her hype, when she was on X Factor and won it back to back and she was the "media darling" she probably could have hung on a little longer but I don't think she'll ever get back up to that level

Gaga is more noticeable because she's a bit odd, odd that's possibly a gimmick but it still gets her attention. Her range of songs is more diverse too and whilst I don't love her I think she'll be around longer than Ms Cole-whatshisname
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Musically Cheryl Cole could NEVER replace Kylie imo-Shes not in the same league as her at all!
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Kylie and Madonna still have fans so they are very much still needed!
  • Options
    Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange comparisons :)

I think Lady Gaga peaked too quickly and was an overnight succes that could not be followed up so soon. I think she will remain in the back and maybe her 5th or 6th album will be massive again

No clue what Cheryl Cole has to do with this, she can go back to the end of the queue behind Katy Perry, Rihanna, Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Pink and even Shakira.
    Outside of the UK no one is bothered with her current output I am pretty sure, she will never get the career Madonna, Kylie and Gaga have.

If you want a 3rd person behind Madonna and Kylie, i would say Rihanna as she is also almost 10 years doing her stuff now
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is room for more than two female singers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting.

I would say that Kylie is rubbish compared to the others mentioned. A crap singer with no real personality.

You might say that Gaga is vile, but I find her fascinating and very talented. Her music is fab and she pushes boundaries with her image. Kylie just flashes her arse in a lot of saccharine pop videos *shrugs*

And yet Kylie's sold over 70million albums, and is with Madge and Rihanna as the top 3x sellers in the UK. Grow up.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    And yet Kylie's sold over 70million albums, and is with Madge and Rihanna as the top 3x sellers in the UK. Grow up.

*sigh*

Really? Anybody that dares to criticise St Kylie needs to 'grow up'? Back atcha, my friend. I know you are a superfan who is all over the Daily Mail defending your idol, but my opinion - which I am perfectly entitled to express - is that she is nothing but artifice - a weak voice, weak songs and a case of being in the right place at the right time.

If you don't like it - tough. But my opinion will not change and you will just have to learn to accept that not everyone worships at the altar of this silly little woman.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Whatsherface is a provincial singer at best. And Gaga seems to be out of hits after her two albums, now she just wears weird clothes.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    To be fair, this thread was made in 2010. At the time, Gaga was seen as unstoppable and Cheryl was everywhere.

Since 2010, Cheryl's career has really gone downhill, she's become a bit of a laughing stock. Kylie doesn't need to be worried lol, she has more likeability in her little finger than Tweedy/Cole/Fernandez Versani has in her whole body.

Gaga again, has had a few flops since 2010. Remember, in 2010, she was literally unstoppable. She still has a huge career ahead of her and I'm excited for her next album, but Madonna is the Queen.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *sigh*

Really? Anybody that dares to criticise St Kylie needs to 'grow up'? Back atcha, my friend. I know you are a superfan who is all over the Daily Mail defending your idol, but my opinion - which I am perfectly entitled to express - is that she is nothing but artifice - a weak voice, weak songs and a case of being in the right place at the right time.

If you don't like it - tough. But my opinion will not change and you will just have to learn to accept that not everyone worships at the altar of this silly little woman.

As a Madonna fan yourself...

Kylie and Madonna are iconic female popstars, they have their place in history locked in. Both have had mega success and also mega flops, but have broken boundaries and deserve respect.

No females starting in music today (or the last few years) will ever achieve what they did, because the world and the state of the music industry is completely different.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think we NEED any of these people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Madonna fan yourself...

Kylie and Madonna are iconic female popstars, they have their place in history locked in. Both have had mega success and also mega flops, but have broken boundaries and deserve respect.

No females starting in music today (or the last few years) will ever achieve what they did, because the world and the state of the music industry is completely different.

I have an admiration for Madonna's business savvy (despite her lack of natural musical ability) - but I don't insult anyone who happens to disagree with my opinion. Not sure where that dig has come from:confused:

No, Kylie does not 'deserve respect'. Fair play to her for her record sales and achieving what she has, but, as I have said repeatedly it is on the back of VERY minimal talent and a lot of very clever management, guided by other people IMVHO.

I would also disagree that she has 'broken boundaries'. Which ones?
  • Options
    CupidStunt2010CupidStunt2010 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Depeche Mode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIrm0dHbCDU

Gaga and/or her team are very good at stealing from talented others; which is a talent, I guess. Here she is in her Applause video, looking very much like Ronny (who was clearly a fan of Marlene!). All is Full of [Bad Romance] Love, anyone? (THX 1138 and so on...)

Grace, Madonna and Gaga have all been inspired by Dietrich and others. It either matters to you, or it doesn't. If it does, they're all unoriginal (Grace much less so, I'd argue); and if it doesn't, you're free to enjoy the directions they've taken. But neither Madonna nor Gaga have magicked creativity out of thin air. Rather they've added sections to the Scalextric of pop.

(The worst case of theft in music I can recall is Fugees' Ready or Not. The Score was an album loaded with samples, but they didn't initially credit Enya for Boadicea.)
    Some might say that Depeche Mode ripped off Cameo for their song Strangelove, i'm sure you've heard the song Word Up?
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    *sigh*

As opposed to the likes of you who use the Daily Mail as a way to spew your hatred and vitriol against female celebrities.
    I have an admiration for Madonna's business savvy (despite her lack of natural musical ability) - but I don't insult anyone who happens to disagree with my opinion. Not sure where that dig has come from:confused:

No, Kylie does not 'deserve respect'. Fair play to her for her record sales and achieving what she has, but, as I have said repeatedly it is on the back of VERY minimal talent and a lot of very clever management, guided by other people IMVHO.

I would also disagree that she has 'broken boundaries'. Which ones?

That goes for most pop stars. I doubt Madonna would be where she is without a talented manager, great songwriters and excellent producers. Same goes for Cheryl Cole, Rihanna, Miley Cryus, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, etc.

It's glaringly obvious that people like you who claim that Kylie can't sing and has never written any of her own songs don't know the first thing about her career. It's pointless arguing with people like you.
    *sigh*

I think you need to get a little perspective in your life. You're a 43-year-old woman slagging off celebrities on a forum. If I found out my mum was doing the same, I would be embarrassed for her. I guess some adults don't have more important things to be doing during the daytime.
    Interests:
    I enjoy being especially nasty about celebrities of all shapes and sizes

Says it all.

People admire stars like Kylie and Madonna because they've made the most of their talent and have worked hard to get where they are despite having shortcomings. They're good at entertaining people and putting on fantastic pop concerts. I certainly admire them more than a random woman who is approaching middle age and still slagging people off like an infantile, insecure high school student.

I love that Madonna and Kylie annoy people 30 years on. Neither has anything left to prove to anyone, their critics will certainly never diminish their achievements and lasting careers. Keep trying :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »
    As opposed to the likes of you who use the Daily Mail as a way to spew your hatred and vitriol against female celebrities.

That goes for most pop stars. I doubt Madonna would be where she is without a talented manager, great songwriters and excellent producers. Same goes for Cheryl Cole, Rihanna, Miley Cryus, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, etc.

It's glaringly obvious that people like you who claim that Kylie can't sing and has never written any of her own songs don't know the first thing about her career. It's pointless arguing with people like you.

I think you need to get a little perspective in your life. You're a 43-year-old woman slagging off celebrities on a forum. If I found out my mum was doing the same, I would be embarrassed for her. I guess some adults don't have more important things to be doing during the daytime.

Says it all.

People admire stars like Kylie and Madonna because they've made the most of their talent and have worked hard to get where they are despite having shortcomings. They're good at entertaining people and putting on fantastic pop concerts. I certainly admire them more than a random woman who is approaching middle age and still slagging people off like an infantile, insecure high school student.

I love that Madonna and Kylie annoy people 30 years on. Neither has anything left to prove to anyone, their critics will certainly never diminish their achievements and lasting careers. Keep trying :D

Never used the Daily Mail 'comments' section, apart from to read what some of the crazies post. But nicely said, anyway. You're clearly nicely aware of the zeitgeist and able to add random comments in at inopportune moments to try and look clever.

Well done for looking at my profile and using it to sling cheap insults. If that's the done thing: Hey, as a Manchester music loving student, haven't YOU got better things to do than remonstrate with middle aged women?:D

I like Madonna and have a lot of respect for the way she has handled her career - she's sassy and inventive. Not sure why you're arguing pitch and toss about my opinion of her when I have repeatedly said I like her. But you were obviously too busy frothing at the mouth to read my post properly.

Yes, Cheryl, Rihanna, Perry et al are all equally at the behest of their management - but they're not under discussion so a completely moot point that you dragged in, in desperation of other straws to clutch.

It's equally pointless arguing with people like you who get on your high horse to shout down anyone who has a different opinion to you. As you get older and more mature you'll learn how to debate properly, but until then, one must make concessions for people's attitudes.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Gaga is vile. Masquerading as the second coming of Madonna crossed with Marilyn Manson yet with the song depth of s-club seven only with less sexual magnetism.

Cheryl is council estate trash that made good out of her looks, not to mention good connections in the music industry. People soon tire of artists that just get by on their looks alone.

Madonna, a living icon, a fashion icon, a business woman, a person who changed the music and dance scene and did it all with bigger balls then any man to have graced the music scene before or since.

Kylie might be fluff but she's had huge hits and serves some kind of purpose. I'd say she was in a genre of her own though as she doesn't compare to the likes of Madonna or big singers like Christina.

So, anyone that comes from a council estate is trash? Hmm...
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »

Attractive female celebrities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Madonna defined pop and Kylie has been around for over 20 years.

Lady Gaga , though I do like her music, seems to have been a mere fad who has to resort to dressing up in increasingly stupid outfits to get attention, and Cheryl's not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the other three.

A laughable suggestion!
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So, anyone that comes from a council estate is trash? Hmm...

It was probably just used in the same vein as 'Trailer Park trash'. I'm sure there are decent people living in trailer parks. I was brought up on a council estate and the phrase doesn't really bother me.