TV Series set in the Southern United States

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
I always enjoy TV series set in the American South or pre-20th century United States in general, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Justified, True Blood, The Walking Dead, Dexter and Deadwood are the series inspiring this thread, so they're off the table. Any others I should be watching?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Try Nashville http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_%282012_TV_series%29 on 1channel.ch

Dallas (2012 version)

Hatfields & McCoys (was on Channel 5, now on DVD)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't watch it myself but this should fit the bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_on_Wheels_%28TV_series%29
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never watched Treme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_(TV_series)) but I hear it gets good reviews
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Found Treme to be boring, but I'm definitely interested in Hell on Wheels!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the South but Copper set in 1860's New York had a pretty good first season and has been renewed for a longer 2nd Season.

I thought it was better than Hell on Wheels (mentioned above) which is set in the same period.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    I thought it was better than Hell on Wheels (mentioned above) which is set in the same period.

I rated Copper's first season dead even with Hell On Wheels' second season, but a friend of mine didn't think Copper deserved to be put along side HOW, quality-wise.

Interestingly, Copper had been a project in development at AMC but was eventually passed on and it got picked up at BBC America. I can't help but wonder how Copper would have been different had it come to life on AMC. Probably would have had a higher budget.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Dawson's Creek
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy TV series set in the American South or pre-20th century United States in general, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Justified, True Blood, The Walking Dead, Dexter and Deadwood are the series inspiring this thread, so they're off the table. Any others I should be watching?

Deadwood is in South Dakota, South Dakota is in the Mid West, not the South.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved North and South with the late Patrick Swayze which can be bought 2nd hand for a song, on Amazon. But that's a 2 part mini-series so dont know if that's what you want. Actually I think I mistakenly bought 2 DVD's of the second part, so PM me if you want it. You can have it for the postage.

On a cultural note, Ken Burns' Civil War Documentary had me riveted, all 11 hours of it.

I find pre war Southern stuff absolutely unmissable, although Hatfields and McCoys has taken a time to grow on me. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Dawson's Creek

:D:D

Haha. I've never watched it. I thought it was set in modern day!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :D:D

Haha. I've never watched it. I thought it was set in modern day!

Dawson's Creek was filmed in the South, in North Carolina, but it was set in New England, in Boston and Capeside, a fictional town in Massachusetts.
  • MisterP57MisterP57 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Breaking Bad is set in the Southwest, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting observation about the southern states, not many would disagree with you there :D

You could try The Dukes of Hazzard - if that doesn't put you off nothing will.
    I do agree with mprince about Treme. I started watching the first series when it came out and it seemed to be mostly a bunch of petty criminals swearing at each other,
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Hart Of Dixie?

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Deadwood is in South Dakota, South Dakota is in the Mid West, not the South.

I know. :) I also said "pre-20th century United States in general".
    petely wrote: »
    Interesting observation about the southern states, not many would disagree with you there :D

:D;)

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming, if you've got any more.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Friday Night Lights, set in Texas, is a must, I would say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Gothic

Superb series, if you watch it on DVD, be aware that some episodes are out of sequence
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Savannah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(TV_series)

Used to be shown on ITV on Friday nights.

Probably not to your taste though:p
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maximum Bob with Beau Bridges
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Not the South but Copper set in 1860's New York had a pretty good first season and has been renewed for a longer 2nd Season.

Hope some British channel picks that up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maximum Bob with Beau Bridges

That was one of the shows I thought about when seeing the thread title. I remember seeing MB when I was a kid, and every so often I would think about it, but couldnt remember the name of the show. Went into a charity shop one day, and saw a book with the same name (which the show was based on) and was like Great Find! The book is great, but the show hasnt been released on DVD and I have stuggled to find it elsewhere online so far. But the book is very good, it has a real 'southern feel' filled with lowlifes, the law, and whatnot.