Colin Baker the worst doctor?

1789101113»

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him in most of his stories. Obviously The Twin Dilemma still makes uncomfortable viewing but even in there he has the odd funny moment or two so I can just about live with it. :)

I think it's not the best introduction to a doctor, partularly considering that Peter Davison's doctor had just given his life to save Peri. :o
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's not the best introduction to a doctor, partularly considering that Peter Davison's doctor had just given his life to save Peri. :o

Yes, that is somewhat ironic isn't it?

I don't think it was that necessary to push The Doctor's post-regenerative behaviour so far to be honest. Matt Smith barely had anything at all, so sometimes I wish they'd get the balance right. I think Tom Baker's Doctor had it about right, have a first mad episode than move on with the story. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that is somewhat ironic isn't it?

I don't think it was that necessary to push The Doctor's post-regenerative behaviour so far to be honest. Matt Smith barely had anything at all, so sometimes I wish they'd get the balance right. I think Tom Baker's Doctor had it about right, have a first mad episode than move on with the story. :)

Yes I liked Tom Baker's introduction, but I did like Matt's as well:o.

I've never watched Patrick Troughton's and I never watched Sly McCoy's (I know shock, horro, considering he is my doctor). Time and the Rani seems to be particularly badly received, so I would quite like to see see it:).
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Colin Baker always seems to come last in fan surveys, but surely Sylvester Mc Coy wasn't any better/

SMc is always bottom of my pile...I thought he was absolutely terrible, but many on the forum will strongly disagree!

His first episode is some of the worst acting I have ever seen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I liked Tom Baker's introduction, but I did like Matt's as well:o.

I've never watched Patrick Troughton's and I never watched Sly McCoy's (I know shock, horro, considering he is my doctor). Time and the Rani seems to be particularly badly received, so I would quite like to see see it:).

Don't get me wrong, I liked MS intro as well but after Tennant's first story, it seemed such a contrast. I accept that the way the story was structured you couldn't dwell on it as much, but a little more would have been nice!!!

Yes, Time and The Rani, one of the worst debuts every in terms of story. McCoy has a bit of a mare time in this one but as far as he goes it was still better than Baker's. Surprised you haven't watched it actually....!:eek:

Troughton's first adventure is good. I enjoyed both dalek stories from his era, probably the two best Dalek stories there's ever been(just my opinion!) He was good though, he was refreshing after Hartnell's later stories. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I liked MS intro as well but after Tennant's first story, it seemed such a contrast. I accept that the way the story was structured you couldn't dwell on it as much, but a little more would have been nice!!!

Yes, Time and The Rani, one of the worst debuts every in terms of story. McCoy has a bit of a mare time in this one but as far as he goes it was still better than Baker's. Surprised you haven't watched it actually....!:eek:

Troughton's first adventure is good. I enjoyed both dalek stories from his era, probably the two best Dalek stories there's ever been(just my opinion!) He was good though, he was refreshing after Hartnell's later stories. :)

I thought Troughton's would be good (is it still available and not lost).

I know it's quite shocking that I haven't seen Time and the Rani, I probably won't mind it:o. Sorry I'm very easy going and not too critical. I think my problem with David's introduction (and it was absolutely fine and nothing wrong with it) was the fact that I lost Chris:cry::cry:. I really liked CE and I wanted another story, and I was rather mad with this young whippersnapper (who is of course older than me:o), but who took up CE's place. I came to love DT a lot, but the two specials at the end prepared me for a new doctor, so I didn't mind Matt's story too much.:).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Troughton's would be good (is it still available and not lost).

I know it's quite shocking that I haven't seen Time and the Rani, I probably won't mind it:o. Sorry I'm very easy going and not too critical. I think my problem with David's introduction (and it was absolutely fine and nothing wrong with it) was the fact that I lost Chris:cry::cry:. I really liked CE and I wanted another story, and I was rather mad with this young whippersnapper (who is of course older than me:o), but who took up CE's place. I came to love DT a lot, but the two specials at the end prepared me for a new doctor, so I didn't mind Matt's story too much.:).

I personally was glad when Tennant took over to be honest, never been a big fan of CE.

Troughton's adventure is lost aside from a few clips. You can get it on audio or on video via the recons site that does the telepiccies and audio together,(if they still do it) which makes it a more enjoyable experience than audio. :)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally was glad when Tennant took over to be honest, never been a big fan of CE.

Troughton's adventure is lost aside from a few clips. You can get it on audio or on video via the recons site that does the telepiccies and audio together,(if they still do it) which makes it a more enjoyable experience than audio. :)

They do. :)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed most of Colin Bakers stories (not so much Trial).
    I think Mark Of The Rani was brilliant! Nicely shot mostly on film which gave it a 'classic look' about it. The only thing about that was the silly "turning into trees" bit :o
    I also loved The Two Doctors which involved my 'Fav' Dr 2!
    And nice to see Peri & Jamie getting along, and 'Servelan' from Blakes 7 doing her stuff! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed most of Colin Bakers stories (not so much Trial).
    I think Mark Of The Rani was brilliant! Nicely shot mostly on film which gave it a 'classic look' about it. The only thing about that was the silly "turning into trees" bit :o
    I also loved The Two Doctors which involved my 'Fav' Dr 2!
    And nice to see Peri & Jamie getting along, and 'Servelan' from Blakes 7 doing her stuff! :D

What I thought about Jacqueline Pearce was that, good as she was as Chessene, she was really just playing Servalan in a wig. Aside from the Androgum side of her nature, I didn't see much difference between the two characterisations at all, whereas Paul Darrow in Timelash went out of his way to make Tekker as different from Avon as possible. :)
    Forum Member
    What I thought about Jacqueline Pearce was that, good as she was as Chessene, she was really just playing Servalan in a wig. Aside from the Androgum side of her nature, I didn't see much difference between the two characterisations at all, whereas Paul Darrow in Timelash went out of his way to make Tekker as different from Avon as possible. :)

Have to agree with you on both points!
    I met her in real life once, she was STILL Servalan, even then, I right near cecked mesen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Have to agree with you on both points!
    I met her in real life once, she was STILL Servalan, even then, I right near cecked mesen!

Maybe she really is Servalan! :D:D:D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Colin Baker always seems to come last in fan surveys, but surely Sylvester Mc Coy wasn't any better/

Now I like Sylvester. For sure he'd some duff stories (Time and the Rani is probably the worst) but he'd some crackers too. Overall, I think he'd a better ratio of good stories to bad stories than Colin had and, while he might not have been a better actor, his Doctor was far more likeable.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think that if Peter Davison had stayed on for an additional year (and been the Doctor for the likes of Timelash, Attack of the Cybermen and The Two Doctors) the show would STILL have been suspended for 18 months. Indeed, I think Peter's 5th Doctor would be remembered far less favourable then he is.

Colin's Doctor was great (I know . . . "but the clothes" . . . ) but by that stage the writing was crap and JNT was trying too hard to aim at an adult audience. Davison's final season was very violent - Colin Baker simply inherited the direction the show was already going in.

Colin's 'Big Finish' audio plays are by far the best of the bunch, and I think it a great shame that this version of the 6th Doctor was never realised on screen.

By the way, I spent a whole day with Colin at a borough fair where he signed autographs for hundreds of fans and he's an absolute top bloke!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think that if Peter Davison had stayed on for an additional year (and been the Doctor for the likes of Timelash, Attack of the Cybermen and The Two Doctors) the show would STILL have been suspended for 18 months. Indeed, I think Peter's 5th Doctor would be remembered far less favourable then he is.

Colin's Doctor was great (I know . . . "but the clothes" . . . ) but by that stage the writing was crap and JNT was trying too hard to aim at an adult audience. Davison's final season was very violent - Colin Baker simply inherited the direction the show was already going in.

Colin's 'Big Finish' audio plays are by far the best of the bunch, and I think it a great shame that this version of the 6th Doctor was never realised on screen.

By the way, I spent a whole day with Colin at a borough fair where he signed autographs for hundreds of fans and he's an absolute top bloke!

Not saying this because I'm a Davison fan but I think you;re wrong in assuming that Davison would have got the show cancelled in Season 22. I think a lot of the criticism aimed at the Series was aimed a lot at The Doctor himself and I can't see a lot of things Colin Baker did, Davison actually doing,( i.e, the acid bath in VOV, the shooting of the Cyber Leader in the manner that was shown)I think he would have tried to save them like he did the Silurians in Warriors Of The Deep. Though The Caves Of Androzani can be viewed as violent, I certainly didn't find the rest of Season 21 that way and felt the change of Doctor was part of the reason it did become violent because of the more aggressive nature of Colin Baker's Doctor. That's not not knocking Colin Baker's Doctor, that's the way he was. :)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Colin was the first Doctor to have a full series of 45-minute episodes - which I liked. But some did not like the change, because it shortened the season. Did this have any affect on the ratings/why it was 'rested'....etc. 'Cos when it eventually came back in its 25-minute video-only format, I personally thought it was crap! I had a feeling then it was going down the plug-hole.
  • biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Colin Baker..... undeniably the worst dressed doctor
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »

Spot on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    There's me thinking it was seeing Peri's rather revealing outfits!:D

You filthy sods! I'm going to watch some right now for that exact reason. Tell you what though she still looks good these days.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that came a bit out of nowhere. :D
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJ_K666 wrote: »
    You filthy sods! I'm going to watch some right now for that exact reason. Tell you what though she still looks good these days.
    i met her at the 50th Celebration and she still looks hot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of Peter Davison's doctor tbh, I'm not sure about whether the level of violence would have increased or not, it would have depended on which writers would have been hired I guess,