New disk, old problems - overwriting recordings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
Forum Member
After regularly getting the overwriting recordings problem, I decided to replace the drive. But the new drive is no better than the old one! After formatting, it runs okay for a week or so, then at some point it will freeze, and I have to reboot the box. After that I start getting new recordings over-writing old ones.

I reformat each time, but it doesn't last long before happening again.

So is it just that the replacement also faulty, or has the Humax had it?

I'm wary of throwing good money after bad, but things are tight right now and I can't really afford to buy a new box. But I've already wasted £70 on a SATA drive and adaptor.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy295 wrote: »
    I'm wary of throwing good money after bad, but things are tight right now and I can't really afford to buy a new box. But I've already wasted £70 on a SATA drive and adaptor.
    I would guess the most likely problem is the IDE to SATA adapter. What type are you using?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    It never occurred to me that it might be the adaptor. It's the StarTech one:

Startech.com 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch 40 Pin Male IDE to SATA Adapter Converter

The drive is a Seagate Pipeline HD 500 GB
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It never occurred to me that it might be the adaptor. It's the StarTech one:
    I used a Startech adapter so I have no better suggestion; maybe somebody else has. Was the hard drive new?
    Forum Member
    It was a 'reconditioned' unit from a Sky box. I'm now thinking maybe that's the problem, I have no idea of the history of the drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a 'reconditioned' unit from a Sky box. I'm now thinking maybe that's the problem, I have no idea of the history of the drive.
    Try running the Seagate Seatools for DOS (bootable CD) on it and see what they say.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, not had chance to do that yet. I have a SATA to USB adaptor for my PC, if I plug the drive in there, do you know if will SeaTools for DOS will pick it up from boot?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if I plug the drive in there, do you know if will SeaTools for DOS will pick it up from boot?
    Yes I think I have done exactly that.