Options

9200 or 9300 PVR?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
I currently have a 9200, and am considering whether to replace the hard drive in it, or whether to "upgrade" to a 9300.

I've seen reports that that 9300 performs worse than the 9200. Is that people's experience here?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I've had a 9200 new from humax for several years and have suffered hang ups for most of that time
    I bought a 9300 from Ebay a year ago which has hardly ever crashed. So I am very happy.
  • Options
    coulrophobecoulrophobe Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I currently have a 9200, and am considering whether to replace the hard drive in it, or whether to "upgrade" to a 9300.

I've seen reports that that 9300 performs worse than the 9200. Is that people's experience here?

I have had a 9200 for many years and am very happy with it. I replaced the hard drive for a 500Gb some years ago and have modified it to enable rapid file transfer to a PC.
    It suffers occasionally from well documented late start syndrome, but has none of the reported stuttering problems of the 9300.

I would replace the drive - if you can find one.
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    I have had a 9200 for many years and am very happy with it. I replaced the hard drive for a 500Gb some years ago and have modified it to enable rapid file transfer to a PC.
    It suffers occasionally from well documented late start syndrome, but has none of the reported stuttering problems of the 9300.

I would replace the drive - if you can find one.
    Both the 9200 and the 9300 suffer from the late starts issue. The issue is significantly worse when the programme being recorded starts before its scheduled time. The 9300 had a software update ( 0.26) which improved the late start issue for early running programmes. However the 9200 has not received an equivalent update.

Colin
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would say that the performance of the 9200 and 9300 is broadly similar with minor differences in favour of one or the other. If you want a significantly better box get a FOX-HDR T2 which performs significantly better in several respects otherwise replace the hard drive.
  • Options
    Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    creddish wrote: »
    Both the 9200 and the 9300 suffer from the late starts issue. The issue is significantly worse when the programme being recorded starts before its scheduled time. The 9300 had a software update ( 0.26) which improved the late start issue for early running programmes. However the 9200 has not received an equivalent update.

Colin

Which is just as well as v26 appears to have introduced a problem where a recording from a string of consecutive recordings may fail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Big-les wrote: »
    Which is just as well as v26 appears to have introduced a problem where a recording from a string of consecutive recordings may fail.

Think you may be correct about the problem with consecutive recordings. Last weekend, I had two recordings that stopped after 10 minutes. They both immediately followed another recording on the same channel. The recordings were: Saturday - Dr Who failed after recording Strictly and Sunday - Downton Abbey failed after recording X Factor.
  • Options
    PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded from Humax 9200 to Humax 9300.

Advantages of the upgrading for me.

1. Humax 9300 is smaller so slight spacesaving.
    2. Humax 9300 has a faster processor so I felt it locked up less.
    3. Humax 9300 is quieter.

Biggest disadvantage however is that Humax 9300 has no USB so you can only transfer files of it by opening it up and taking out the hard disk.

In terms of bugs like recordings failing etc, I'd say they were equal.