Tv licensing

GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
Forum Member
I moved into a flat share a week ago. 5 other people live here and was told by 2 of them there was no tv license and theyd had "abit"of bother with them. This didn't bother me as I don't watch tv. I found in the last day they have received a red letter from them telling them of an impending visit by one of the licensing officers this month.Now can anyone advise me where I stand on this?they have lived here for around 6 months and it basically looks like they have just ignored them. I have a tv but just use it to play my xbox on I don't watch tv. I have offered that if we all pay £25 each between us then it should cover it.But nobody wants to know and I cannot afford the full amount on my own.

Comments

• SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    If a tv isn't being used to watch or record tv as it's being broadcast there's no need for a licence. If it is being used for live or near live broadcasts such as slightly delayed iPlayer viewing, the residence legally needs to have a licence.

As you've just moved in and don't watch tv you could point to your tenancy agreement as evidence of not being part of any previous requirement.

The phrase "no licence as they had a bit of bother with them" may not be legally sound, but doubtless you'll soon be advised that TVL Inspectors have no right of access and you can happily bypass any legal requirement by not answering the door to them. That's your decision.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    If you don't watch TV and you have a tenancy contract showing the date you began the let then you have nothing to worry about.

It is likely that you will receive many many more letters from TV Licensing as I doubt the previous tenants would have informed them of their moving out.
    There should be a section on the letter explaining how you can go online to inform TV Licensing that you are the new resident and that you don't have a TV.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have your own individual tenancy agreement specifying your room, or are you a joint tenant of the whole flat with the others and are there TVs in the flat that are being used to watch TV?

If it's the latter in my opinion you would all be jointly liable.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I moved into a flat share a week ago. 5 other people live here and was told by 2 of them there was no tv license and theyd had "abit"of bother with them. This didn't bother me as I don't watch tv. I found in the last day they have received a red letter from them telling them of an impending visit by one of the licensing officers this month.Now can anyone advise me where I stand on this?they have lived here for around 6 months and it basically looks like they have just ignored them. I have a tv but just use it to play my xbox on I don't watch tv. I have offered that if we all pay £25 each between us then it should cover it.But nobody wants to know and I cannot afford the full amount on my own.

Dont let them in as they have no legal right of entry
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a house share with no tv license. We got a visit one day and I answered the door (I was on my own) and admitted the tv was mine, so I was the one responsible. I got read my rights or a caution and a threat of going to court, and he buggered off. I signed up for direct debit the next day and heard no more.

So, if someone does come a knocking, just tell them it's not your tv, nowt to do with you.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Dont let them in as they have no legal right of entry

Also these letters are machine generated and fired out to just about every address that does not feature on their database. The chances are you will not get a visit next month, but probably at some time. The letters are designed to frighten people into paying.

And fully agree, do not let them in - just simply say, "No Thankyou" and shut the door. If they persist in hanging around, start filming them - they hate this. Furthermore, do not sign anything as they have been known to manipulate evidence for courts in the past.

It is important that you are clear where you stand with respect to the law. As others point out, but I reiterate:
    1. You do not need a TV licence for simply owning a telly.
    2. You do not need a TV licence for using a TV for XBox games or DVDs.
    3. You do not need a TV licence to watch catch up services.
    4. You do need a licence if you watch TV as it is broadcast on other devices (eg laptop, mobile).
    5. You are under no obligation to let TV licencing into your home (unless they have a warrant and accompanied by a uniformed police officer)
    6. You are under no obligation to let TV licencing know you do not need a licence.
    7. You are under no obligation to answer any question asked to you by TV licencing, or complete any documentation.

It is worth making sure your TV is detuned and not connected to any aerial.

Whether you actual need one each or one for the household depends on the tenancy agreement you have and the nature of your house. See here:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/tenants-and-lodgers-aud2
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The red letters are automatically generated and sent to every unlicensed property on their database. It doesn't mean an actual visit is forthcoming.

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I think the attitude of your flat mates gives you no other choice really. TVL Salespeople have no legal right of entry and you are not compelled to talk to them in any way, so if a sales person does turn up and it's you who answers the door then once you've identified who they are, simply close the door. You have no legal obligation to interact with them in any aspect other than identifying them and the purpose of their visit.

If your flat mates all agree to chip in for a licence then fair enough, get one, but all the while they refuse then you need to protect yourself because it shouldn't all fall on you.

#edit

basically what the post above me said :)
  • GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies guys its put my mind at rest now.The chances of me answering the door to them will be slim as Im out of the house most days early and not home again till late.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Also these letters are machine generated and fired out to just about every address that does not feature on their database. The chances are you will not get a visit next month, but probably at some time. The letters are designed to frighten people into paying.

And fully agree, do not let them in - just simply say, "No Thankyou" and shut the door. If they persist in hanging around, start filming them - they hate this. Furthermore, do not sign anything as they have been known to manipulate evidence for courts in the past.

It is important that you are clear where you stand with respect to the law. As others point out, but I reiterate:
    4. You do need a licence if you watch TV as it is broadcast on other devices (eg laptop, mobile).
    5. You are under no obligation to let TV licencing into your home (unless they have a warrant and accompanied by a uniformed police officer)
    6. You are under no obligation to let TV licencing know you do not need a licence.
    7. You are under no obligation to answer any question asked to you by TV licencing, or complete any documentation.

Whether you actual need one each or one for the household depends on the tenancy agreement you have and the nature of your house. See here:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/tenants-and-lodgers-aud2
    7 out of 7 right. ;)
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    If a tv isn't being used to watch or record tv as it's being broadcast there's no need for a licence. If it is being used for live or near live broadcasts such as slightly delayed iPlayer viewing, the residence legally needs to have a licence.

As you've just moved in and don't watch tv you could point to your tenancy agreement as evidence of not being part of any previous requirement.

The phrase "no licence as they had a bit of bother with them" may not be legally sound, but doubtless you'll soon be advised that TVL Inspectors have no right of access and you can happily bypass any legal requirement by not answering the door to them. That's your decision.

"Slightly delayed iPlayer"? You don't a licence for watching catchup unless you are watching the live part of iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    "Slightly delayed iPlayer"? You don't a licence for watching catchup unless you are watching the live part of iPlayer.
    I was referring to the inherent latency that's quite visible when watching a programme on iplayer and on live tv at the same. Both are slightly behind real time - try listening to football on 5L and on Sky at the same time. The iPlayer will generally be a bit behind the sat feed, but that delay doesn't stop it falling within the definition of live tv.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »

Number 5, they dont need a uniformed officer if they have a warrant. They normally ask one to attend to ensure the warrant is carried out without a breach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to the inherent latency that's quite visible when watching a programme on iplayer and on live tv at the same. Both are slightly behind real time - try listening to football on 5L and on Sky at the same time. The iPlayer will generally be a bit behind the sat feed, but that delay doesn't stop it falling within the definition of live tv.

Why didn't you say that then?

On demand/catch up on iPlayer = no licence
    Live part of iPlayer = licence needed.

I don't see why you needed to confuse the matter of saying "slightly delayed iPlayer".
    Forum Member
    Why? Because for some people nothing is too trivial when identifying ways of not being liable for a TVL, and the term 'live' for some means iPlayer being in synch with the terrestrial or satellite equivalent, even though there is noticeable delay to both broadcast technologies esp compared to the old analogue output. Have a search through the many TVL debates in Broadcasting, or on the numerous rabidly anti-BBC newspaper comments sections when this comes up. There are people that genuinely believe a) that iPlayer itself is outside of the TVL requirements, and / or b) that because it's not in synch with satellite or terrestrial output its use does not require one.

I was merely attempting to cover that little escape clause. I do apologise for daring to suggest otherwise. <rolly rolly roll-eyes...>
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Because for some people nothing is too trivial when identifying ways of not being liable for a TVL, and the term 'live' for some means iPlayer being in synch with the terrestrial or satellite equivalent, even though there is noticeable delay to both broadcast technologies esp compared to the old analogue output. Have a search through the many TVL debates in Broadcasting, or on the numerous rabidly anti-BBC newspaper comments sections when this comes up. There are people that genuinely believe a) that iPlayer itself is outside of the TVL requirements, and / or b) that because it's not in synch with satellite or terrestrial output its use does not require one.

I was merely attempting to cover that little escape clause. I do apologise for daring to suggest otherwise. <rolly rolly roll-eyes...>

Meh, I think you probably just confused the matter for the majority of people. I know the law on the matter and have read a few threads and I've never heard that argument. So for someone who doesn't know anything about the subject, it probably confused them.