Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    we went singing last night....its great fun, and actually something that both me and my OH can do together............we need a bit of light relief and time away from kitchen renovations!!

so jealous of people who can sing

where were you singing and what did you sing M x
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    So Good Morning all

I also watched CBB, all i can say is what a odd mixed bunch ...... hmmm
    think i might give it a watch, and see how i go. Still feel a little
    exhausted by the last one :blush::D

So this morning as my son left for work, he shout out, by the way, I'm going
    to bring my new girlfriend around tonight. He has been seeing her for a few months,
    so i,m all nervous this is our first meeting. I've only met one girlfriend before, he only introduces them if he is quite serious .

So ...... i,m now in a panic cleaning mode :D
    hope she likes us........ and doesn't happen to walk into a random
    cobweb :D lol

Have a good day xxx

Don't worry georgy - everything will be fine!

I think you should let your son help clean up for his girlfriend - after all if they do move in together he will have to do things like cleaning, laundry etc. Things are 50/50 these days. My neighbour's son not only cleaned the house when his new serious girlfriend was due - but he made a cake. Exceptional!!!

My late mother-in-law kept her house surgically clean and I got very nervous when she offered me some tea - I was paranoid I was going to spill or drop something. Too clean is NOT relaxing in my eyes. Don't worry!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all

Good for you augusta. I have tried to get my o/h to do something with me - sing, go to gym - but NO. The only thing we do together is shop and go out to eat occasionally.

Hope you get lots done this weekend so you can relax.

Off to Kelmscott today so must get going - need to make my husband's sandwiches and fruit!
  • Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Oh Georgy don't worry too much about the new girlfriend, im sure she will love you whatever the house is like. :-D But I know this feeling, to want to present your home in pristine condition for visitors. Our house is rarely pristine though!! cleaning is something I do under sufferance, not cos I enjoy it all all.;-D

We are singing modern songs like Queen and Elton John that have been adapted for groups of people to sing together, in a 3 part harmony, the arrangements I think are really clever, so that they are in some respects quite simple to sing. To be honest with me around they have to be quite simple!!! Im used to singing with children at school, so I can be enthusiastic even when I am totally off key!! But it is good fun. And anything that encourages my OH to have a break from work or doing the kitchen is a good idea.

I do get fed up enough of his solitary hobbies to end up doing things by myself at times, but it is nice to do things together, especially now in theory my kids are all grown up!!

Today is the first day as if I felt I was on a summer holiday! and its nearly finished!! Where have the past few weeks gone? I even got into the garden today to do a massive amount of weeding......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all!

How are we all?

How did the visit go georgy. As augusta has said - don't worry about anything. I am sure the new girlfriend will love you.

augusta, you are very lucky that you and your o/h do something together. I have tried everything to do something with my o/h to no avail. Guess we will continue the way we are.

I went to Kelmscott Manor yesterday, the home of William Morris the designer. Very lovely - I was there about 20 years ago and certainly didn't have the crowds it does today. I was glad to get home though. I have been out so much I needed a break.

Well, best get going. Mountain of ironing is increasing as I write this (I have a wash on).

Have a good day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good morning

All went well, poured her a glass of wine and just chatted away :D

Very nice young lady, shy, good head on her shoulders, Good Job in the same field as
    Lindy :D

I was so nervous, but all good :D

Augusta the singing sound wonderful ..... who doesn't like Elton or a little Queen :D

Nyannie your trip out sounds lovely, but nothing quite
    like getting home, putting ones feet up, with cup of tea in hand
    good luck with ironing

i've got to go to the butchers and i think i'll walk into the village
    as the sun is shining here :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sounds lovely........

its a nice day here as well, a bit of gardening, taxi service for daughter whose car was in for a service, and now making a cheesecake for a party tomorrow, it is using a packet mix....cheating I know

is anyone else watching the great british bake off....wonderful recipes and iimagination....
  • Options
    Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all, hope you're all well.:)
    I've succumbed to the inevitable summer (I use the term loosely as it's been positively autumnal here) cold and have been sneezing and snuffling for days. :(

Been reading back, Georgy's been making an impression on the girlfriend - well done georgy - ply them with drink, blur the vision and they won't spot any dust rofl :D

I shall remember that as like Augusta I'm not a fan of housework either. :blush:
    My sister can spot a speck of dust at fifty paces, she's known as the dust police here. The only person I know that actually gets her steam mop out more than once a week!! Everything is cleaned to within an inch of its life, her o/h complains that she even dusts his feet while they're up on the foot stool! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all!

How are we all?

How did the visit go georgy. As augusta has said - don't worry about anything. I am sure the new girlfriend will love you.

augusta, you are very lucky that you and your o/h do something together. I have tried everything to do something with my o/h to no avail. Guess we will continue the way we are.

I went to Kelmscott Manor yesterday, the home of William Morris the designer. Very lovely - I was there about 20 years ago and certainly didn't have the crowds it does today. I was glad to get home though. I have been out so much I needed a break.

Well, best get going. Mountain of ironing is increasing as I write this (I have a wash on).

Have a good day.

I've never heard of Kelmscott Manor, I shall look it up. Love some of the William Morris designs. When we were first married and broke, my Aunt gave us an old set of dining chairs that she'd recovered in a William Morris fabric. Made me feel very grown up and sophisticated, they lasted years. :)

I feel your pain when it comes to ironing. I'm utterly convinced that clothes walk out of the cupboard in the night and add themselves to the growing pile. I'm washing it faster than I can iron it. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh lena how do you cope with someone who is so conscientious about cleaning?

We went to a lovely party last night in someones garden, a bit cold, for august, but so pretty with candles and nightlights everywhere, and today its a BBQ.

Although I have already been on a run to the dump...which is definitely not my favourite place.

what a strange bunch of people on CBB. trouble is I really do not recognise them....who are they all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

So glad that all went well with the girlfriend georgy - you are a lovely person.

I have just sorted out some magazines and gotten rid of about 50 of them - to recycling. I am determined to sort out the study this weekend. O/H doesn't want to go out although we have been invited to dinner tonight - but we can walk. I have recorded Dr Who so hope our tempermental recorder works OK.

Looking forward to a quiet weekend. I know I'm not a conscientious cleaner, but I really need to clean the house. Spent over 2 hrs yesterday cleaning the bathrooms - YUCH!!!!! My grandmother was like your sister Lena - she used to take her finger and run it along surfaces and then shake her head.

No news of John I see. Hope all is well with him.

Have a good weekend - it is clouding over here so need to get out in the garden before it rains.

See you later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    Oh lena how do you cope with someone who is so conscientious about cleaning?

We went to a lovely party last night in someones garden, a bit cold, for august, but so pretty with candles and nightlights everywhere, and today its a BBQ.

Although I have already been on a run to the dump...which is definitely not my favourite place.

what a strange bunch of people on CBB. trouble is I really do not recognise them....who are they all?

The joke is that when we lived at home we shared a bedroom and her half was a disaster area, while mine was spotless. Now she's gone completely the other way.

How she copes with two dogs (golden retriever and springer spaniel) and visits from seven grandchildren under nine I do not know.

Even the pattern on the plates in the cupboard had to line up when stacked on top of each other! Thankfully she has now bought plain plates so at least that's one thing less to worry about lol. :D

Your garden party sounds lovely, there's something rather magical about candles and lanterns outdoors. I hope the weather is kind to you for the bbq and that you enjoy yourselves.
    It's been very changeable here today, sunny one minute and then from nowhere sudden showers - just enough to make anything outside damp and its blooming chilly for August.

I haven't watched any BB since that ghastly mother and daughter were in, they clearly made an impression as I can't even remember what their names were. :p
    I saw the list of 'celebs' (I use the term loosely) they seem to be reality 'stars' from what I've read, which means I haven't a clue who they are as I avoid towie et al like the plague.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's grand prix weekend at the wonderful Spa Francorchamp circuit, my absolute favourite race. I hope it's dry after the bizarre weather they had for qualifying, should make it a good race.
    Is it really bad that I want Rosberg to win:confused: I know I should want a British success but I really like Nico and would love him to take the championship. :blush::)

Arsenal are putting me through the ringer and its only the start of the season. A late goal.gave them a win against Palace last week and a goal on ninety minutes gave them a 2-2 draw today against Everton. Then there's the return match at the Emirates on Tuesday for qualifying for the Champions League, their Turkish opponents are a tough nut to crack it seems. :blush::confused:

Anyway, enjoy your weekend whatever you're doing. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Well, I have been hard at it since yesterday and we now have floor space in the study - and I have gotten rid of about 25 books. I have 5 bags of paper recycling and thrown out things I can't believe we've kept. Have 4 bags for the charity shop. I am pooped! Only thing I am going to do tomorrow (which is supposed to be rainy) is watch Dr Who and finish my books - oh yes and make some spiced plums to freeze - someone gave my o/h two kilos of plums from their trees.

Have a great weekend and hope everyone is enjoying themselves!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a grey Bank Holiday Monday
    i won,t be rushing to get up
    so i,m typing this from my bed :D

What a busy bunch of ladies you are Parties, Dinners........... cleaning yuck :D

I also taped the Dr Who Nyannie, love Calpaldi's performance (hope i spelt the name right)

But so very sad to hear about the passing of
    Richard Attenborough what a very fine Director and Actor
    so many great talents have already gone this year :(

not much planned for me today, will be watching the big match between
    Liverpool and Man City

and well done you Arsenal supporters pulling two goals back, in the last 10 mins :o

hope all have a good day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Hello all, hope you're all well.:)
    I've succumbed to the inevitable summer (I use the term loosely as it's been positively autumnal here) cold and have been sneezing and snuffling for days. :(

Been reading back, Georgy's been making an impression on the girlfriend - well done georgy - ply them with drink, blur the vision and they won't spot any dust rofl :D

I shall remember that as like Augusta I'm not a fan of housework either. :blush:
    My sister can spot a speck of dust at fifty paces, she's known as the dust police here. The only person I know that actually gets her steam mop out more than once a week!! Everything is cleaned to within an inch of its life, her o/h complains that she even dusts his feet while they're up on the foot stool! :o

I do that with everyone i meet :p:D

Hope you feel better soon , nasty things..... summer colds :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope you are feeling better Lena. I was the neatest of my sisters. I always made my bed and dusted. One of my sisters reminds me of Quentin Crisp regarding dust.

What a grey day today - raining as we speak. At least I won't have to water the neighbours' tomatoes today while they are away.

Plan to make some applesauce and some spiced plums. Made some tomato soup yesterday so lunch is sorted.

O/H still in bed doing the crossword.

Feel so happy - I can now see the floor in our study:)

Have a good day everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i like the idea of still being in bed Georgy, its a miserable grey day and meant to be a holiday :-D . I spent yesterday heloing to put plasterboard up!! there is no end to my skills!!

I will need to clean up our back room soon, its full of everything out of the kitchen and so messy I cant find anything, but it has been an excuse for a clear out, Hopefully I will do the same when it all gets put away. How did people cope years ago with just a couple of pans and plates?

It is so odd how differently people view things, my OH is a mountain person or something like that who gets satisfaction from finishing things, I apparently am a seed, someone who has loads of ideas and who then vanishes once they have been started, leaving everyone else to finish them off. Surely this is sensible thinking though???

im not quite as bad as this though, I do finish off some things.........:-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning, I'm still in bed as well. :blush:
    It was brighter at 6am than it is now. :(

O/h is off this week and we'd planned to have a break from all the house decorating and enjoy some lovely seaside strolls and gentle tidying up of the garden.
    We were even going to get up, take a flask and go down to the beach and watch the dawn come up over the sea. :)
    I've just looked at forecast for the week and it's pants! August has been pretty chilly and miserable yet again. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your get well wishes. Cold is still hanging around, pretty stuffed up. Time to break out the Olbas Oil I think.

You're right georgy, we have lost many stars this year. Sad to hear of Richard Attenborough, what an amazing career he had. Still love Jurassic Park - doesn't matter how many times I see it, it still makes me jump. :o:blush:

What would they do without us augusta? Plasterboarding skills - very impressive. How is the kitchen coming along?

Reading about plums nyannie is making me long for a large bowl of plum crumble with lots of lovely thick custard. :blush::D

Hope you have a good match this afternoon georgy - Liverpool v Man City - should be interesting. :D

Whatever you're doing ladies, enjoy your day. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The rain has finally stopped! Thought for a while that I would have to start building an ark.

Hope everyone had a lovely bank holiday.

Lena, think you need complete bed rest and lots of honey and lemon. You do too much!

Hope there has been lots of progress on the kitchen front augusta. I am so pleased with the study - I sat and stared at it for quite a while today.

Why does the gym make me so tired? I am ready for a nap.

Take care everyone and have a lovely evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think being tired from the gym is a good thing Nyannie.

I saw parts of the race at spa, what on earth gets into Lewis Hamilton, he takes this competitive sports stars to new lengths. and makes his sport laughable, whatever happened to sportsmanship and supporting your fellow team mates?

the sun has come out again after a couple of days of rain...my garden did need it , but this miserable weather is offputting..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    So John has a new twitter picture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So John has a new twitter picture.

Thanks for the heads up Luke, off to have a look. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice pic of John with a friend (trying to decide if I recognize him) :blush:, black and white possibly taken on recent holiday I think. :D

I don't know about any one else but I'm really fed up with this weather, more heavy rain again today. :(

Honestly nyannie, I don't do half as much as you do. You're a regular little powerhouse. It's quite satisfying when you've worked hard and you can see a difference, like your study. You have to keep admiring it. :) I guess if you're tired after the gym it means it's working.