Hollyoaks

Joe_GuerraJoe_Guerra Posts: 191
Forum Member
It seems that a lot of people needs to complain about every single storyline hollyoaks does. Usually the storylines which are unrealistic. However hollyoaks is a teen soap opera and teens don't want to watch boring story lines such as 'the library closing down'. Obviously hollyoaks is very far fetched but it's unique and that's what makes hollyoaks hollyoaks

Comments

• superstargirl81superstargirl81 Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    What you need to realise is that there is a difference between boring and realistic. It's not about that anyway, It's about having well-written storylines. The rape storyline, the bipolar storyline and the domestic abuse storyline are 'realistic' but they get complained about because of how they are handled and written.

Characters are changed to suit a storyline with no respect for their backgrounds or personalities, the producers concentrate on sensationalism for the sake of headlines and ratings and then they are forgotten about the week after for the next big thing.

And then the characters that are used for the less realistic storylines (ie Trevor, Grace, Sienna) just get pulled into the same type of storylines again and again kidnaps, guns, stabbings etc (which are forgotten about a week later) No matter how dramatic it is, it gets boring after a while.

Bad writing, bad build up, bad aftermath and bad acting from half of the cast is why people are complaining about Hollyoaks at the moment.

Hollyoaks has always been a 'teen soap' and has never been this bad. I'm 22, old enough to remember how good it used to be but young enough to be in their target audience.
  • Joe_GuerraJoe_Guerra Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    What you need to realise is that there is a difference between boring and realistic. It's not about that anyway, It's about having well-written storylines. The rape storyline, the bipolar storyline and the domestic abuse storyline are 'realistic' but they get complained about because of how they are handled and written.

Characters are changed to suit a storyline with no respect for their backgrounds or personalities, the producers concentrate on sensationalism for the sake of headlines and ratings and then they are forgotten about the week after for the next big thing.

And then the characters that are used for the less realistic storylines (ie Trevor, Grace, Sienna) just get pulled into the same type of storylines again and again kidnaps, guns, stabbings etc (which are forgotten about a week later) No matter how dramatic it is, it gets boring after a while.

Bad writing, bad build up, bad aftermath and bad acting from half of the cast is why people are complaining about Hollyoaks at the moment.

Hollyoaks has always been a 'teen soap' and has never been this bad. I'm 22, old enough to remember how good it used to be but young enough to be in their target audience.

Actually fair enough you have just changed my perception on hollyoaks. The best days we're 2008-11 unfortunately it's abit too unrealistic :cry:
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,640
    Forum Member
    Viewers - even teenage viewers (and not all Hollyoaks viewers are teenagers) - have the right to expect quality, not dross.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Viewers - even teenage viewers (and not all Hollyoaks viewers are teenagers) - have the right to expect quality, not dross.

Exactly. We don't all want cheap thrills, says the 'snapchat' generation. ;)
    Forum Member
    It can be good again, these are not huge problems, they just need to stop blowing up the place every 10 minutes, get rid of some of the deadwood and concentrate on giving storylines their full attention.

Some of the storylines are okay but it is frustrating having to switch your brain off every episode because if you think too much about it then you find plotholes everywhere lol

I've watched Hollyoaks for almost ten years and It's always had it's ups and downs, hopefully this is just a down period and it should improve soon.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people who enjoy Hollyoaks just watch it and enjoy it, so don't base your opinions on this forum as it's not reflective of the things about the show that people like as people barely talk about that here.

I've been looking at the forums here for years and all I've seen every day is how Hollyoaks is terrible and yet for me, in the last two years it's the only soap I have enjoyed consistently...I soon realised this isn't Hollyoaks specific 90% of topics on this forum are people saying what they don't like.

People have every right to complain if they hate something, that's why forums exist so I don't mind if they do. I just like the show.

I prefer to just check out twitter. Hollyoaks trends nearly every day on there and people say loads of positive things plus it won best soap and the viewing figures are pretty good so, it does have a lot of people who appreciate and like the show.
    Forum Member
    you have a point David...This is just my opinion and I'm not a professional critic or anything and even I still watch Hollyoaks despite my problems with it atm so there must be something about it.

haha this must be the most civilised debate on this board we're however many posts in and no insults...yet lol
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you have a point David...This is just my opinion and I'm not a professional critic or anything and even I still watch Hollyoaks despite my problems with it atm so there must be something about it.

haha this must be the most civilised debate on this board we're however many posts in and no insults...yet lol

I watch Hollyoaks because its fast paced...things actually happen during the episode. There must be something about it because I find it entertaining, despite it's 'shocks' & the fact that Bryan Kirkwood is at the helm.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saying it's a teen soap is fair enough because that's what it was created to be. Saying that excuses it being badly written and intelligence insulting does the teen population no favours as it implies they're thick and can't be bothered to watch anything remotely challenging. The fact is Hollyoaks was never all that realistic but it has really taken the viewers for mugs in recent years with these ridiculous retconned plot twists and plot contrivances. Dodger being the father of Sienna's daughter is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. The series now exists in a reality where anything is possible no matter how absurd.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks is saved by its time slot; there's nothing else worth watching on at that time. It's good light convenience TV- although not so light any more. Or indeed, good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I've been watching Hollyoaks right from the start and yes there have been ups and downs through the years. However, at the moment I am really enjoying it. Yes some of it is unrealistic, but it is the only soap I look forward to watching each day and can't wait to find out what happens next. Like Brendan's moustache I'm even developing a fondness for Freddie's one expression fits all stare :o
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely sure you are doing teenagers any favours by claiming they prefer the lack of realism in HOs to boring stories.

I'm well past my teenage years but up until a year or so ago I was a faithful viewer, my teenage niece used to laugh her backside off at me for watching it, her and her friends thought it was a joke.
    Forum Member
    I don't see how endless stunts make it exciting; only makes the rest of it more boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure you are doing teenagers any favours by claiming they prefer the lack of realism in HOs to boring stories.

I'm well past my teenage years but up until a year or so ago I was a faithful viewer, my teenage niece used to laugh her backside off at me for watching it, her and her friends thought it was a joke.

hahaha crack up, I'm 27 and have watch since I can remember and my 17yr old niece does exactly the same.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Joe_Guerra wrote: »
    It seems that a lot of people needs to complain about every single storyline hollyoaks does. Usually the storylines which are unrealistic. However hollyoaks is a teen soap opera and teens don't want to watch boring story lines such as 'the library closing down'. Obviously hollyoaks is very far fetched but it's unique and that's what makes hollyoaks hollyoaks

Let's get this straight. No one wants stories about libraries closing down. Stories don't necessarily have to be realistic or even issue-based and educational.

Stories need to be believable. That is all.

It doesn't need to be mundane or slow paced or boring BUT the writing needs to make sense. Characters need to behave in logical and believable ways. That means reacting like a normal human, reacting in a consistent way to previous behaviour.

Hollyoaks isn't doing anything like the above at the moment and that is the pure and simple reason why fans who have loved the show for years are criticising it and in some cases ceasing to watch it after years of doing so.

We've all enjoyed a sensationalist plot or a stunt before, but they should be a rare and significant event - not a frequent, meaningless one.
    The people who enjoy Hollyoaks just watch it and enjoy it, so don't base your opinions on this forum as it's not reflective of the things about the show that people like as people barely talk about that here.

I've been looking at the forums here for years and all I've seen every day is how Hollyoaks is terrible and yet for me, in the last two years it's the only soap I have enjoyed consistently...I soon realised this isn't Hollyoaks specific 90% of topics on this forum are people saying what they don't like.

BIB: Completely untrue. You must have missed out on periods of the show when there was a loyal fanbase eager to talk about the show and give praise where it was due. Where are those people now? Sick to the back teeth of how poor the show has become. It's a caricature of itself.

What I'm interpreting from your 'just watch and enjoy it' is the reason why there is next to no positive discussion on DS about it. The show is impossible to watch with any kind of brain engagement anymore. You cannot discuss it. You used to be able to discuss character's behaviour and motivation but now characters are an empty canvas thrown into whatever plot the show feels like. What's to discuss? Twitter is just full of empty brainless "OMG" and "I LUV FREDDIE HE'S SO FIT" comments.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    For every good storyline these days (Blessing, George on the streets, Esther's bullying and suicide) they have about 10 ridiculous ones. Last weeks episode where Mercedes and Phoebe broke Theresa out of prison being the most ludicrous episode I have ever seen and then you have Sienna going round and round in circles.

Having watched Hollyoaks since episode one the current storylines don't compare to the older ones (Luke's rape, Lisa's self-harming), they don't seem to be well written or well researched and they get dropped almost as soon as they start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Let's get this straight. No one wants stories about libraries closing down. Stories don't necessarily have to be realistic or even issue-based and educational.

Stories need to be believable. That is all.

It doesn't need to be mundane or slow paced or boring BUT the writing needs to make sense. Characters need to behave in logical and believable ways. That means reacting like a normal human, reacting in a consistent way to previous behaviour.

Hollyoaks isn't doing anything like the above at the moment and that is the pure and simple reason why fans who have loved the show for years are criticising it and in some cases ceasing to watch it after years of doing so.

We've all enjoyed a sensationalist plot or a stunt before, but they should be a rare and significant event - not a frequent, meaningless one.

BIB: Completely untrue. You must have missed out on periods of the show when there was a loyal fanbase eager to talk about the show and give praise where it was due. Where are those people now? Sick to the back teeth of how poor the show has become. It's a caricature of itself.

What I'm interpreting from your 'just watch and enjoy it' is the reason why there is next to no positive discussion on DS about it. The show is impossible to watch with any kind of brain engagement anymore. You cannot discuss it. You used to be able to discuss character's behaviour and motivation but now characters are an empty canvas thrown into whatever plot the show feels like. What's to discuss? Twitter is just full of empty brainless "OMG" and "I LUV FREDDIE HE'S SO FIT" comments.

Charlie Clapham is very good looking though. (my OH looks like him)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Whoooooooooosh.
    Forum Member
    I don't think Freddie's that good-looking. He's no Dodger ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I don't think Freddie's that good-looking. He's no Dodger ;)

Well not everyone has the same taste. Dodger looks too boring for me.
    Forum Member
    Well not everyone has the same taste. Dodger looks too boring for me.

True but I don't think Freddie's attractive enough to keep as eye candy when his acting's so bad. It'd be fine if he was a low level character but he's not.
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freddie is the wide eyed one isn't he? *shudders*

Imagine living with that look aimed at you all the time.
  • kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member
    I really do like Hollyoaks, I think they have a strong group of actors and I love that they aren't afraid to tackle tough storylines.
    But I do dislike how they deal with the aftermath after a s/l has reached it's climax.

For example, Maxine & Patrick. A really good, gritty s/l with incredible acting. However, when she announces in front of everyone at her wedding that Patrick beats her - no one does a single thing. No one confronts him or her, no one calls the police... they just sit there and accept his explanation that she was doing it to herself.
    Next, she comes back from America and stays with Dodger even though she saw him beat the crap out of Patrick and just keeps finding ways to stay in the same village. She actually calls on Patrick to help when Sienna was holding Dodger hostage.
    Patricks hangs onto his job with no investigation, and seems to just accept that Maxine is now with Dodger.
    No authorities involved, no mention that Maxine should receive help dealing with the aftermath of living with someone who mentally, emotionally and physically abused her... the whole thing appears to have been swept under the carpet.

And it's so irritating.
    Forum Member
    I agree about the lack of aftermath. I can imagine them not saying anything at the wedding as it was a complete shock. There's not even been a small reference to it; surprising that high horse Diane wouldn't complain about little Finn going to school with him as head.

I think it was a bad choice having her get together with Dodger, who hasn't really been sympathetic and mostly sided with Patrick until Sienna revealed that he'd hit her too.

Am I right in thinking that either Darren or Nancy believed Patrick was innocent?
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Guerra wrote: »

I actually think they can so some good storylines, they just ruin themselves sometimes, and go off the plot. Also, the pacing of storyline is really bad, and I don't like how every single episode of hollyoaks is dramatic, there's no need for it. It's asif they're trying to keep up with themselves and top themselves, they're becoming their own worst enemy, it's a marathon, not a race.