Options

The coaches need to embrace the fact that this IS a competition

Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
Forum Member
One thing that stuck out for me from last night's show is the way the coaches are all tiptoeing around the fact that The Voice is a competition.

Jessie in particular basically undermined the whole point of the show last night by saying something along the lines of not viewing it as 'this person against this person' and that 'it's just the format', 'once this show is over and done with they'll all be making music', and 'they're all great'.

That's all well and good but The Voice is a competition. People still get eliminated, there is still one winner at the end of it. Part of the reason why it feels so flat is that they often treat the whole show as just a formality and at the end of the show everything that happened is irrelevant and they'll all be great anyway.

You can still be constructive and you can still make it about the music without disregarding the format altogether. If it's not really meant to be a competition then what's the point of having the show in the first place?

I do think this is partly down to the fact that every coach has to lose an artist. If they ditched that maybe the coaches would be more willing to embrace the competitive side of the show?

What are people's thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete agree.

As far as format goes I'd prefer this: the coaches can pick one person from their team to go through to the next week and then 4 (or 2 depending on the week) are voted off irrespective of teams. (They wouldn't be able to save anyone in the semis ofc).