The case of the missing veggie hot dogs

humehume Posts: 2,088
Forum Member
✭✭✭
About 3 years ago I discovered soya protein hot dogs. They serve two purposes for me; one, they are delicious and two they're microwavable. These hot hot dogs are like what spinach is to popeye, for me.

A few years ago I was buying these hot dogs in my local sainsbury. After 6 or so month they were discontinued and I never saw them again. I moved home (a while later) and found them being sold in another sainsbury. Only now they've been discontinued after a month or so.

I went online and found them at my local tesco. Now they're out of stock. one of the store clerks told me they were expecting new stock tonight.

I don't believe it and I think they've been discontinued again.

What I want to know is why is this the case?

And where can I find a shop that sells these hot dogs or something with exactly the same ingredients?

Comments

• shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    quorn do them in microwave packs in their 'deli' range

own brand freezer versions are available at sainsburys
  • eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tivali do nice ones, though not the cheapest. If you have a Holland and Barrett with a freezer they usually have them.
    Tesco ones were alright but turned rubbish, tasteless and covered with orange colouring like a fake tan. My local Tesco's frozen veggie substitute section is also suspiciously empty most of the time.
    Must try sainsbury's if I can find them as I love veggie dogs.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    quorn do them in microwave packs in their 'deli' range

own brand freezer versions are available at sainsburys

Quorn do sausages and whatnot but they don't do hot dogs. The sausages aren't a good substitute for what I'm looking for.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    Hi according to this recent thread on another site Morrisons and ocado do them

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4176229&page=2

Also Quorn do frankfurters. (says on their website you get them in Sainsburys and Asda)
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »
    Quorn do sausages and whatnot but they don't do hot dogs. The sausages aren't a good substitute for what I'm looking for.

They do hot dogs, I know I have some in my fridge

From the chiller cabinet deli range
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quorn do sausages and whatnot but they don't do hot dogs.

YES THEY DO.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half an hour ago I went into my local tesco to find they had discontinued their own brand. Which was 10 for £1.99 or 2 for £3.00. New to their shelves however (there was a sign with the word new on it) is quorn's hot dogs. Introductory price £2.25 for 5. Which of course is highway robbery at those prices. I'am\was desperate and decided to buy two.

Surely it must be cheaper elsewhere?
  • BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    My OH likes them with chips and Bisto curry sauce and a piece of bread and butter.
    Disgusting but nice :)

They do them in our Sainsbury.
    Forum Member
    Half an hour ago I went into my local tesco to find they had discontinued their own brand. Which was 10 for £1.99 or 2 for £3.00. New to their shelves however (there was a sign with the word new on it) is quorn's hot dogs. Introductory price £2.25 for 5. Which of course is highway robbery at those prices. I'am\was desperate and decided to buy two.

Surely it must be cheaper elsewhere?
    At sainsburys it's 2.20 a pack and often quorn is on 3 for 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,019
    Forum Member
    Do you mean the Tivoli ones?

If so I brought some in my local Sainsburys two weeks ago!
    I think Waitrose also sell them.

I agree they are gorgeous.:)

I started eating meat a few years ago (after being veggie for 15) and still eat veggie a couple of times a week, but would never touch one of those nasty processed 'meat' hotdogs!