Playing the Doctor would be a serious step down for Chiwetel Ejiofor

2»

Comments

• BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrimps wrote: »
    He would have to be mad to take the part. Tennant took up his ideal role, then tried and failed to break Hollywood - I'm talking tv, never mind films.

Matt has said more than once, that he's interested in spending time in America for his career. Why should anyone who's well on the way to achieving that, restrict themselves to almost a year where they can't accept any other parts and are judged by some of the least tolerant fans ever. Unless, of course, American success is not what he wants. Not impossible, but I find that hard to believe.

No matter how much fame you can get from being the Doctor, it'd be nothing compared to genuine Hollywood success. If he was 50 and had made his many millions, then maybe he might do it. Like Ian McKellen taking a part in Corrie and also starring in that sitcom with Derek Jacobi. Apparently Judi Dench is guest starring in the final episode. Great fun, I'm sure. However when developing a career, Doctor Who should surely be a step up, which it was for Matt.

If he wants to be a pioneer as an actor of colour, then being one of only a handful of black males* to win an Oscar would be far more of an achievement the being the first black Doctor Who.

*I think there have been a lot fewer then twelve, unlike the Doctor...

Exactly. People in the UK really overestimate the overall value of Dr Who. As if someone who already has his foot firmly in the door of Hollywood like Ejiofor should be grateful to get a British TV role that would do nothing to advance his career at this stage.

For someone with a steady Hollywood career like Ejiofor, who is at a critical junction of that career, he could be setting himself back significantly by commiting to Who. With prestigious black American leading men like Denzel Washington getting up there in age, the yanks are looking towards quality black British leading men like Ejifor and Idris Elba to possibly take over

David Tennant became a household name in the UK because of Dr Who. He still is. But as you said, he couldn't even break into American TV off the back of Who, let alone movies.

People don't realise how far up the lsdder Ejiofor already is in Hollywood. For example, he's already worked with the director of Avengers Assemble, Joss Whedon (Ejiofor played the main villain in Serenity). Marvel's biggest black superhero, the Black Panther is likely to soon be cast, not only as a member of The Avengers, but probably for his own solo movies. Ejifor is constantly named as the favorite choice for the role by fans of the comics and Avengers movies. His previous working relationship with Whedon makes his potential casting as Black Panther very likely.

Now, if Ejiofor were to take Doctor Who, he could forget about getting the Black Panther role, because he would likely not have the time.

Black Panther is the type of role that could turn him into a Denzel Washingtion or Will Smith sized global star. And he could realistically get it....but not if he commits himself to some full time UK sci-fi show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    agree.i would stop watching if this happened.the ratings would drop.its not going to happen though so i wouldnt get worried.the bbc aren't going to make this sort of mistake.

just as a matter of interest what percentage of black ancestry would make you stop watdhing , 1 grand mother? a great grand mother or is it more like the dulux colour chart with you and if so how dark is too dark??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Oh well, at least it's a change from 'Benny' is too good for Doctor Who. :yawn:

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i predict that common sense will prevail and it will be a white doctor.in fact,it will ALWAYS be that.i dont belive the producers would ever make the mistake of considering a black doctor.they know it would ruin the show.its unlikely they have ever given a second thought to anyone other than a white actor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when Nina Toussaint-White was cast as Amy and Rory's best mate, did that make you switch off?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    i predict that common sense will prevail and it will be a white doctor.in fact,it will ALWAYS be that.i dont belive the producers would ever make the mistake of considering a black doctor.they know it would ruin the show.its unlikely they have ever given a second thought to anyone other than a white actor.

well if they cast anyone with Black ethnicity or from anothe ethnic group I'll be glad you've switched off so I'm not watching with you.
  • GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    well if they cast anyone with Black ethnicity or from anothe ethnic group I'll be glad you've switched off so I'm not watching with you.

A quick trawl through his (loonattic) previous posts, shows him up to be a really unpleasent individual, a defender of the BNP as well as convicted peodophiles like Stuart Hall. Scary place the Internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    And when Nina Toussaint-White was cast as Amy and Rory's best mate, did that make you switch off?

no,and niether did freema agymans casting make me switch off as they are just companions or other charactors.its the doctor whois the important one and will always be played by a white actor.(and not a woman either)