Options

Argos application form

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I have got an application form for Argos. It's only a temporary job, but at least it's something.
There's a stupid question : "Why do you want to work for Argos ?"
Obviously I can't put the real reason, which is "I haven't got a job, and I'm up to my eyes in debt and I need a job"
So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can put ?

Comments

• Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't you "put" the real reason?
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who want a job cos they are skint tend to go in everyday and not throw sickies as they want to keep it
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Why can't you "put" the real reason?

Because theyll be looking for people who want to work for a nationally recognised shop with a difference, somewhere that offers value and tip top customer service, someone who will be proud to say they work there etc etc
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    i would like a job at argos, did you just go in store and ask for a form... did they ask to see your CV or anything?
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,957
    Forum Member
    can i use this thread instead of making a new one?

im filling out a form for tk maxx and theres a question "how do you priorities your day when you have been given a number of jobs to complete?" of course i know how to do that but i cant figure out what way to answer it

re the op question i usually want a job because i want the experience and to learn new skills etc
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got an application form for Argos. It's only a temporary job, but at least it's something.
    There's a stupid question : "Why do you want to work for Argos ?"
    Obviously I can't put the real reason, which is "I haven't got a job, and I'm up to my eyes in debt and I need a job"
    So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can put ?

Hi Andy. Just make sure you put something down about wanting to work for a well known, respected retailer. Butter them up a bit. ;)
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it a stupid question for a company to ask why you want to work for them? :confused:
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

im filling out a form for tk maxx and theres a question "how do you priorities your day when you have been given a number of jobs to complete?" of course i know how to do that but i cant figure out what way to answer it

re the op question i usually want a job because i want the experience and to learn new skills etc

You would assess the deadlines and prioritise tasks in the order of urgency & importance.

After that, you can quote the bucket list.. Imagine your time is a bucket and your tasks are Rocks, Pebbles & Gravel - you put the biggest important rocks in first and fit the pebbles and then the gravel around it.

All bollox of course...but HR seem to like this sort of nonsense.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    You would assess the deadlines and prioritise tasks in the order of urgency & importance.

After that, you can quote the bucket list.. Imagine your time is a bucket and your tasks are Rocks, Pebbles & Gravel - you put the biggest important rocks in first and fit the pebbles and then the gravel around it.

All bollox of course...but HR seem to like this sort of nonsense.. :D

ive actually done that lol thanks it was just driving me mad trying to word it
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I filled that application form in a few days ago. I struggled too.

All in block capitals. No idea why they required it to be filled in that way. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I filled that application form in a few days ago. I struggled too.

All in block capitals. No idea why they required it to be filled in that way. :confused:

i always fill application forms in with black & blocked capitals. i hate this form. its the 2nd time ive attempted to try it and the questions are complicated

i accidentally ticked the boxes but it asked for part time. i thought it was asking what hours are you available to work lol i hate working early mornings and late nights - late nights espicialy cos it would be too scary for me if theres hardly anyone working
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    Why is it a stupid question for a company to ask why you want to work for them? :confused:

Because you're not allowed to put the real reason (according to the "experts" in this field)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always fill application forms in with black & blocked capitals. i hate this form. its the 2nd time ive attempted to try it and the questions are complicated

i accidentally ticked the boxes but it asked for part time. i thought it was asking what hours are you available to work lol i hate working early mornings and late nights - late nights espicialy cos it would be too scary for me if theres hardly anyone working

I still have several pages of the application form stuffed in my handbag. All my failed attempts of trying to word each answer correctly and remember to keep it all in block capitals. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still have several pages of the application form stuffed in my handbag. All my failed attempts of trying to word each answer correctly and remember to keep it all in block capitals. :o

lol how did you get more than one copy? i had to go into the store to get it

i photocopied it and typed answers up before putting them on the form
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol how did you get more than one copy? i had to go into the store to get it

i photocopied it and typed answers up before putting them on the form

At the place I visit as part of the work programme. They had lots of copies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the place I visit as part of the work programme. They had lots of copies.

oh did you not ask them for help ? my parents are useless at filling in forms lol hence why im struggling :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh did you not ask them for help ? my parents are useless at filling in forms lol hence why im struggling :(

I did ask but didn't recieve any helpful replies from my adviser. She's pretty much useless to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did ask but didn't recieve any helpful replies from my adviser. She's pretty much useless to be honest.

the jobcentre are mostly useless lol my adviser is alright though i can go to her even though i dont have an appointment lol

just noticed the job is now closed but surely it wouldnt be closed till later in the day? i only found this job the other day
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you're not allowed to put the real reason (according to the "experts" in this field)

It's not a stupid question at all. You just have to word your answer about needing a job cleverly ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're better off filling in your application form online. Most major retailers should have an online application form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with all the questions Andy you should try and give an example or two to support your application. So make sure you mention about building on your skills and give good examples from your past workplaces to show where you have worked as a member of a productive team, given good customer service and gone out of your way for the customer.

Don't be afraid to stretch the truth, but make sure you write down things that are believable. Don't just write down a few sentences for each question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to set yourself apart from other candidates really. Why should they hire you? Give them good enough reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I do apologise if any of the comments I posted hindered your search for the answer to your question, OP.

Ps. Good Luck with your application, monalisa. I hope you get the job. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is also worth bearing in mind that if you can't be pleasant to people and call them all the names under the sun then you won't have a very long career in retail. Patience is a key part of retail and if someone disagrees with you you can't go calling them idiots and giving them evil stares. The customer is always right even if they're wrong.;)

You'll probably have to put up with a lot of irritating people Andy, some who shouldn't be let out on their own but you just need to remain calm and do your best. Or you won't last very long. One of the reasons why I got out, I wanted to throttle people.:o
  • Options
    ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    My partner has an application form for Argos too and we are both really stuck on Talk me through a time when you experienced great customer service? Why does this stand out to you?

Neither of us can think of an answer!!