Samsung Galaxy Alpha

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Looks less like the S2 than the iPhone. I remember my s2 being totally plastic with rounded edges.

Maybe your recollection is hazy?

Not at all. I just dont look for something that's not there!
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it look identical to the iPhone?

No.

Does it take design cues from the iPhone?

Yup - in particular those chamfered edges.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The galaxy phones have always looked like cheap iPhone knock offs ever since the first one came out. This doesn't really change anything.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm left slightly floundering trying to work out why Jobs chose Samsung to be that polarising enemy.

I'll plump for the fact that considered their AMOLED screen invention such a different look, and so far ahead of cheaper IPS ones that he needed some sort of belief for all the insecure teenagers to hang on to as they grew into adults.

Smartphones look, err like smartphones to me, iPhones only being by far the most underwhelming because of us all being told that they are that mythical God.

iPhones seem to be going the way of the Blackberry in most countries but there is enough of a crowd around for this to stay a successful crusade.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Alan, you are probably right.

It couldn't possibly be that a lot of people really do just actually like the design of the iPhone.

Oh no, it must be that they have all been tricked, conned or brainwashed into thinking it is a "mythical God".

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that a lot of people just like iPhones, that you have to think up such ludicrous sounding conspiracies?

Crusade? I mean seriously - WTF?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    It couldn't possibly be that a lot of people really do just actually like the design of the iPhone...
    You are always right, possibly.
    :)

I could also possibly be right in that every time Samsung launch a phone, Jobs trained monkeys arrive with that very same mantra.

Its quite clever because it is done to detract from deficiencies of Apple product.
    I'd say that the insecurity of the most ardent Apple fanboys must be quite disconcerting to those here who prefer to appreciate their Apple product.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Yes Alan, you are probably right.

It couldn't possibly be that a lot of people really do just actually like the design of the iPhone.

Oh no, it must be that they have all been tricked, conned or brainwashed into thinking it is a "mythical God".

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that a lot of people just like iPhones, that you have to think up such ludicrous sounding conspiracies?

Crusade? I mean seriously - WTF?

There will always be people who hate something without a logical basis behind the hate, sometimes it's caused by resentment because they can't afford the item or brand.

Though the strange things they say to try and justify their hate can be quite funny at times...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    You are always right, possibly.
    :)

I could also possibly be right in that every time Samsung launch a phone, Jobs trained monkeys arrive with that very same mantra.

Its quite clever because it is done to detract from deficiencies of Apple product.
    I'd say that the insecurity of the most ardent Apple fanboys must be quite disconcerting to those here who prefer to appreciate their Apple product.

What mantra?

There is no mantra.

All there is, is a rational argument that people might actually just like iPhones, rather than think they like them because they have been brainwashed into thinking they do.

I didn't mention it in response to Samsung launching a phone, I mentioned it in response to your post about mythical Gods and crusades.

And there is no insecurity - I just think its utter nonsense every time you come up with these conspiracy theories rather than just accept that a lot of people might actually just like iPhones.
  • xxTinkerbellexxxxTinkerbellexx Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded to the S5 last week, and O2 have agreed to take the phone back so I can get the Alpha when it arrives. (It looks nicer - and I find the battery doesn't last a day on the S5).
    Which is the better phone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-alpha-is-ready-to-fight-the-iphone-6-20140815-104e6i.html

"The display is a SuperAMOLED screen, and the 12-megapixel camera in back can even capture 4K video (at 30 frames per second). It's powered by an octa-core processor (quad 1.8GHz and quad 1.3GHz) and ships with Android 4.4.4 "KitKat."
    The phone will be available in five pretentiously named colors: Charcoal Black, Dazzling White, Frosted Gold, Sleek Silver and Scuba Blue. "
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the device has a fingerprint scanner in it like the S5?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone on The One Plan from Three UK.
  • xxTinkerbellexxxxTinkerbellexx Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the device has a fingerprint scanner in it like the S5?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone on The One Plan from Three UK.

I read that it does
    Forum Member
    There will always be people who hate something without a logical basis behind the hate, sometimes it's caused by resentment because they can't afford the item or brand.

Though the strange things they say to try and justify their hate can be quite funny at times...

Just like you then!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So out of the exchange from posts 30-34, that's the bit that stood out to you? :p
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care if my phone is plastic I stick a gel cover over it anyway. They can't keep get getting bigger though or we will be walking around with tablet sized phones.
    Forum Member
    So out of the exchange from posts 30-34, that's the bit that stood out to you? :p

Was that in response to me?
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Just like you then!! :D

I hate neither brand or system, and have no agenda (unlike you it would seem). My current phones are an iPhone 5s and a Galaxy S4 i9505.

I think both systems have advantages and disadvantages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... sometimes it's caused by resentment because they can't afford the item or brand. Though the strange things they say to try and justify their hate can be quite funny at times...

Hate is not that common a word in the adult world, and implying that you have to buy the most expensive, not the best, is a very old trick.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Hate is not that common a word in the adult world, and implying that you have to buy the most expensive, not the best, is a very old trick.

You must live a sheltered life if you think there isn't much hate in the adult world, you should get out a bit more.

No one mentioned anything being "the best" (well, except you), people being envious of items they can't afford is as old as capitalism, and engineering a notional dislike for the unattainable (to justify not being able to attain that item) does happen...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Was that in response to me?

Yes it was.
    Forum Member
    I hate neither brand or system, and have no agenda (unlike you it would seem). My current phones are an iPhone 5s and a Galaxy S4 i9505.

I think both systems have advantages and disadvantages.

And what agenda do I have currently owning a nexus 5, an iPad, an xperia z tablet and old old iMac. Also thinking of getting the next iPhone when it arrives.

So come on, what agenda do I have?
    Forum Member
    Yes it was.

Can I ask why? Just seemed to be the normal waffle between you and Alan. Nothing stood out hence why I never replied too it.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best they can do? Looks like every other Galaxy phone only not plastic. 720p only, is this supposed to be a premium phone or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can metal clad phones that have attenuation problems be 'premium'.

So tell me I am holding the wrong idea of what is premium.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    The best they can do? Looks like every other Galaxy phone only not plastic. 720p only, is this supposed to be a premium phone or not.

Good question. Samsung seem to go out of their way to make their device lineup as confusing as possible.

They sacked the head of design after the S5, it seems the new one isn't doing much better.