Kate Bush night- BBC4 - from 2100 - 22/08/14

Comments

• China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good post Pete, I always look forward to the BBC 4 Friday night music shows.

I'm hoping they do a Led Zeppelin night.
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Hard to believe Peter Gabriel wanted Dolly Parton to sing with him originally on 'Don't Give Up'. Can't imagine it with anyone but Kate Bush.

Enjoyed the documentary, although would have liked to have heard much more from Peter Gabriel and especially Tori Amos who was clearly so influenced by her.

And they didn't mention Pamela Stephenson's 'England My Leotard' on Not The Nine O'Clock News sadly!
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    VincentH wrote: »
    And they didn't mention Pamela Stephenson's 'England My Leotard' on Not The Nine O'Clock News sadly!

They wouldn't have been able to afford the clip on BBC4.
  • astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the documentary and love Kate Bush, but agree she did appear to be miming on most of the clips shown.

Who cares though, it was really more about the performance.

Saw her live in Edinburgh - think it was 1979- and it was a fabulous show.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    astor wrote: »
    agree she did appear to be miming on most of the clips shown.

If the clips were from things like Wogan she would probably have been required to mime on those shows. I think Bowie famously threw a huff on Wogan after he found out he wasn't performing live.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VincentH wrote: »
    Hard to believe Peter Gabriel wanted Dolly Parton to sing with him originally on 'Don't Give Up'. Can't imagine it with anyone but Kate Bush.

It would have been a better commercial move for him, Parton being a much bigger star in America. Also, when it was written, it was apparently more of a country song than what it ended up as.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair hindsight is always a great thing. If Peter "had" sung Dont Give Up with Dolly Parton then that is the version everyone would ever have known and no one would have thought of Kate Bush.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was influenced by the Great Depression so Parton would have been a sensible choice. Glad he didn't though.

But watching the video again, what a lucky barsteward, getting to stand there hugging Kate Bush for all that time. I'd have been deliberately going for re-takes "Er, No, I don't think I captured the emotion there, can we go again, from the top, yes?"
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the documentary and love Kate Bush, but agree she did appear to be miming on most of the clips shown.

Who cares though, it was really more about the performance.

Saw her live in Edinburgh - think it was 1979- and it was a fabulous show.

She was often dancing quite energetically during her songs so there would be difficulty with breathing and also the microphone - it was before those silly ones that everyone now seem to have hanging from their ear.
  • LabLab Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    She was often dancing quite energetically during her songs so there would be difficulty with breathing and also the microphone - it was before those silly ones that everyone now seem to have hanging from their ear.

The silly ones hanging off their ears that Kate Bush pioneered on her Tour Of Life tour? (sound engineer fashioned one out of a wire coat hanger).
    All sounds fine here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmURRhmsdro
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    It was influenced by the Great Depression so Parton would have been a sensible choice. Glad he didn't though.

But watching the video again, what a lucky barsteward, getting to stand there hugging Kate Bush for all that time. I'd have been deliberately going for re-takes "Er, No, I don't think I captured the emotion there, can we go again, from the top, yes?"
    But he wouldn't have been able to get as close to Dolly! :):)

K
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the Beeb would (could?) repeat that studio special (the one with the wedding gun clip). It's a shame they no longer have the resources/interest to make that kind of studio based music/dance stuff anymore :(.

Nice also to see The Dreaming (one of my fave all time albums) getting recognition also. Hard to believe that:
    The Dreaming was the closest EMI had ever got to returning an artists recording.
    :o

source: http://thequietus.com/articles/09945-kate-bush-the-dreaming
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technology wasn't up to it
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    I wish the Beeb would (could?) repeat that studio special (the one with the wedding gun clip).
    It was from the Kate Bush Christmas Special

and was shown in 2009

Amazon have a couple of copies of it - one less that it had 5 minutes ago :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that struck me watching the 'At The BBC programme was the number of clips that were from the Wogan Show. There is no real equivalent now on TV, The One Show will have the odd musical guest playing a new release but often they have limited time and there will rarely be more than one number played.
    Forum Member
    Kate's back catalogue has enjoyed a resurgence in the 2 days since the programme. Today's album chart
    #15 The Whole Story
    #29 Hounds of Love
    #83 50 Words for Snow
    #87 The Kick Inside
    #93 The Sensual World

Great stuff!
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Did Kate Bush do a video that had Donald Sutherland in it? Something to with cloud watching? I remember something like that but they didn't mention it on the BBC4 documentary.
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Did Kate Bush do a video that had Donald Sutherland in it? Something to with cloud watching? I remember something like that but they didn't mention it on the BBC4 documentary.

Cloudbusting.

My favourite song of hers.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Cloudbusting.

My favourite song of hers.

That's the one Shanders, thank you. I was trying to remember/explain it to OH last night and he just thought I was bonkers conkers. They didn't mention Cloudbusting on the documentary, I thought they would of done just because of her strange choice of co-star for the video.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an old interview with her on Wed at 8pm on Sky Arts 1, she talks about her Sensual World album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    One thing that struck me watching the 'At The BBC programme was the number of clips that were from the Wogan Show. There is no real equivalent now on TV, The One Show will have the odd musical guest playing a new release but often they have limited time and there will rarely be more than one number played.
    Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton....and in America - Letterman, Ellen etc.
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton....and in America - Letterman, Ellen etc.

Yes but in future people are going to struggle making these kind of shows. No three times a week chat show, no Top of the Pops, no Saturday morning kids shows with music, no daytime chat shows.
    All there'll be is Later with Jools and the odd Graham Norton appearance.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Kate's back catalogue has enjoyed a resurgence in the 2 days since the programme. Today's album chart
    #15 The Whole Story
    #29 Hounds of Love
    #83 50 Words for Snow
    #87 The Kick Inside
    #93 The Sensual World

Great stuff!

That's good to see, I wondered if that would happen.

Prior to watching I only had 'The Whole Story' on the ipod but have since bought 'The Dreaming', (which on first listen I'd describe as excellent), on the strength of Lydon saying it was probably his favourite KB album. Currently pondering what to get next.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    I wish the Beeb would (could?) repeat that studio special (the one with the wedding gun clip). It's a shame they no longer have the resources/interest to make that kind of studio based music/dance stuff anymore :(.

Nice also to see The Dreaming (one of my fave all time albums) getting recognition also. Hard to believe that:

:o

source: http://thequietus.com/articles/09945-kate-bush-the-dreaming

Good article. Interesting bit at the end about the different attitudes from interviewers towards her and Peter Gabriel around the time of 'The Dreaming'.
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    That's good to see, I wondered if that would happen.

Prior to watching I only had 'The Whole Story' on the ipod but have since bought 'The Dreaming', (which on first listen I'd describe as excellent), on the strength of Lydon saying it was probably his favourite KB album. Currently pondering what to get next.

Never for Ever is a beautiful album.