Unlock iPhone 4

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My stepdaughter has an iPhone given to her by an old friend of my partner. We've just discovered that it's still locked to Vodafone (we thought it had been unlocked) and so we can't use it with Three, where we've got a couple of 'family' deal SIMs.

We can't get it unlocked by Vodafone themselves, as we're not in touch with the friend and wouldn't be able to get hold of him. He'd need to be the one to contact CS with the details.

I haven't played with iPhones for many years, but I do know what I'm doing with jailbreaks as I did it successfully to my old 3G. What's the current jailbreak and unlock for the 4?

Comments

• johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look here

http://giffgaff.com/unlock/apple-iphone-4-phone

for info on jailbreaking.

Alternatively If you input VF an the bottom it'll give you a list of code unlocks, the cheapest appears to be £24.99, although going by some of the 1 star reviews the price can jump up.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought you couldn't unlock an iPhone by jailbreaking.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

Jailbreaking doesn't unlock it, you have to run ultrasn0w afterwards.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/unlock/
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

Its not properly unlocked - the jailbreak "unlocks" just stop the phone checking with the Apple server. Proper unlock is actually done by updating Apple's activation servers.

I think that jailbreaking was only created in the first place because the US network AT&T wouldn't unlock the first iPhone, or the 3G/3GS models.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I know the unlock is a hack but it'll let her use the SIM so that's all that matters!