Sony Xperia Care (pertaining to a Z1)

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

Basically my OH got a contract out just over a year ago for a Sony Xperia Z1 - he bought it on the premise that it had a 'scratch resistant screen'. A year on, the phone has a load of scratches on, some quite deep, some hairline, but it's not like my OH goes around actively trying to scratch his phone, he is careful with it.

Has anyone had any experience with the Sony Xperia online care system? Talking to an advisor or anything similar? My OH is ill at the moment and isn't really in the right state to coherently construct a complaint, so until he is better I am just asking on here on the off-chance that someone has had an experience with Sony Xperia Care, or if anyone else has bought a Z1 and found it to be a disappointment.

Thanks for reading. :kitty:

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resistant is not the same as proof, so I can't see much chance of success.

The Z1 still had a screen protector on it though didn't it? So that can be removed and replaced, whereas the newer Sony products actually have a toughened glass screen (but I still recommend buying a tempered glass protector).
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Sony customer care is generally non-existent. They don't care and they will deny responsibility for pretty much anything. Somehow they act as if they can attract enough new business that taking care of existing customers who run into issues is a totally unnecessary business expense - so to hell with them.

The only crumb of comfort for those who are mistreated by Sony "customer care", the way the company is being run into the ground the entire company itself will soon be non-existent too.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically my OH got a contract out just over a year ago for a Sony Xperia Z1 - he bought it on the premise that it had a 'scratch resistant screen'. A year on, the phone has a load of scratches on, some quite deep, some hairline, but it's not like my OH goes around actively trying to scratch his phone, he is careful with it.

As another poster has already said, what you are seeing is scratches in the factory fitted screen protector, the actual screen of the Z1 hasn't been damaged so you're probably wasting your time contacting the online care system.

I have a Z1 and think it's a great phone but that screen protector certainly doesn't help the look of the phone. I'm sure it isn't recommended by Sony but I removed it from my phone (doing so isn't difficult) and currently have just the bare glass screen ... which is completely unscratched by the way. However you should be aware that doing so does increase the risk of damage if you drop the phone (the screen is far more likely to shatter).
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend removing the Sony fitted film and replacing it with a good tempered glass one - which will be thin, strong and very clear.

Much better than a cheap film that will look horrible, so while you have a nice screen when you come to sell, you've had a crappy screen to look at for all that time.

They're about £10 or less from Amazon and incredibly easy to fit, with no bubbles.

Otherwise, if you scratch the main Z1 glass then you've got a much bigger problem.
  • ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I suggest you have a look here first before doing anything http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/bd-p/Xperia_Z1.

The Z1 does have a anti-shatter film over the screen which apparently scratches quite easily but there is conflicting info regarding if removing this film voids the warranty or not, the film contains the sony logo.

There are threads regarding it in the link above and here is one directly related.
    http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Xperia-Z1-screen-protector-catches-scratches/m-p/400615#U400615