Options

Will Wayne Rooney inevitably go down as Englands greatest ever player??

Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
Forum Member
✭✭
Right, I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for starting this because its oh no another Rooney thread, but the reason why I'm starting this in particular is because I'm just thinking of the legacy Wayne Rooney will have when he retires from England duty, and it maybe a rather significant one.

At the moment, baring any long term injury, he is on the verge of breaking BOTH Bobby Charlton's goalscoring record (needs 9 more) and Peter Shilton's number of caps record (needs 29 more).

So that means by the time he retires he's going to hold both the most caps record and goalscoring record for England. Pretty damn good if you ask me given all the players England have had throughout their history. That alone surely must at least put him in the top 10, and probably in the top 5. Whether you like Rooney or not he is going own both those records within a few years so he has to be put into the equation now.

However, as we know he's not without his faults, scoring only 1 goal in 3 World Cups (Gary Lineker scored 10 goals in 2 World Cups, including a golden boot, which seems remarkable given Englands recent lacklustre achievements).

But like I say, I think this conversation needs to be had because he is going to hold both those proud records and most of my generation (those under 30, the "SKY" generation) will say he is the greatest England player I assume.

Will Wayne Rooney in time inevitably go down as England's all time greatest player?

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs to win something with England to be considered, no matter the goals or caps he earns. They would put him in the list of England's best internationals, but I can't see any case for him to be considered as the greatest.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    Will Wayne Rooney inevitably go down as Englands greatest ever player??

No.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a good player, but go down as England's best ever player - No.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because clueless managers keep picking him for England despite his terrible performances in all World and Euro Cups (since 2004) doesn't make him England's greatest player.

Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore will hold those titles until England win something again. Paul Gascoigne was England's greatest player since 1966 in my opinion.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Players like Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Gary Lineker & Carlton Palmer, will always be remembered as greats for England.
    Rooney is an ok player but not in the top 10 for me. He doesn't do it on a regular basis. You never leave the match thinking, Wow what a player.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He gets booked and sent off far too often.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even close. He doesn't do anything in the games that matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Just because clueless managers keep picking him

Stop reading there
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Not even close. He doesn't do anything in the games that matter.

For England, or generally?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nothing of Rooney, but even if there is some merit to picking him for England as he seems to play OK at his club, I still think he should not be picked. Just like Spain could win nothing with Raul, England will not win anything as long as they have this supposed star on their team who never delivers for the national team.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

Longevity in the England team has got him near the goals record but that's misleading given the vast majority weren't at tournaments and his goals per game average isn't as good as quite a few other England players (who played fewer games).

He's undoubtedly a talent but has ultimately fallen short of expectations (which were very high to be fair).

Bobby Charlton for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nothing of Rooney, but even if there is some merit to picking him for England as he seems to play OK at his club, I still think he should not be picked. Just like Spain could win nothing with Raul, England will not win anything as long as they have this supposed star on their team who never delivers for the national team.

Fine, I don't mind Rooney not being picked for England, it will save all the shit that gets thrown at him.

Of course he is going to be picked though, he is the new captain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fine, I don't mind Rooney not being picked for England, it will save all the shit that gets thrown at him.

Of course he is going to be picked though, he is the new captain.

...which is why I said England managers were clueless :p

He hasn't played well for England for the past 10 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...which is why I said England managers were clueless :p

But if he wasn't picked who would people have to complain about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, there are always numerous candidates.

At this World Cup against Italy I thought Rooney was England's worst player on the pitch. Against Uruguay he was much better, but then the whole team stopped playing as soon as he was moved into his preferred position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can easily spot people who think international football only exists every other summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, there are always numerous candidates

Like who?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apart from all of those goals that he's scored, of course.

And you're right. The likes of Eriksson and Capello are obviously 'clueless'. I mean, what have they ever won?
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this thread before I even read it. It was that predictable.

He's a superb player in many ways but falls a little short short of greatness IMO.

I hope in the next World Cup, his final one, he shows what he can do on on the biggest stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    You can easily spot people who think international football only exists every other summer.

Yes, because friendlies and qualifying campaigns against the likes of San Marino clearly matter more than European and World Cup tournaments.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member

Wilshire seems like a popular target now. He was loved only a few years ago.

Sterling could get the Rooney treatment soon if he doesn't deliver for country at the same rate he does for Liverpool. Or Sturridge. Or even Ross Barkley.

There'll always be someone. Someone who a lot of people think are overrated (which would make them underrated).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, because friendlies and qualifying campaigns against the likes of San Marino clearly matter more than European and World Cup tournaments.

If Rooney had done nothing in the qualifying campaigns, then England wouldn't even have been at the tournaments.

They're equally as relevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wish I'd have put money on 'San Marino' being part of the counter argument, it's as mind-numbingly predictable as [insert anything else you say here]
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have run the Rooney bingo again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed Jermain Defoe didn't end on 700 international goals, the amount of times we apparently play San Marino. The FA should just set up office there.