Options

Do Child Abusers get attacked in prison because...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
Forum Member
Do Child abusers get attacked in prison because their crimes are so abhorrent or is it because violent prisoners know they can get away with it?

I'm wondering if prison can be seen as microcosm of our society and that the general feeling is that child abuse is the worst possible crime.

Comments

• Options
    Macon DetournayMacon Detournay Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prisoners have families, so the pedos and rapists get given a tough time.
  • Options
    Isle_Of_WeatherIsle_Of_Weather Posts: 4,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perhaps also there is a desire for some to "do the right thing" (in there eyes) for a change - ie a need for approbation?
  • Options
    paulmellerspaulmellers Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Honour Amongst Theives" springs to mind.

I would recommend Parkhurst Tales and it's sequel as a good insight. Really entertaining, it's a collection of short stories from various prisons. My favourites are "Dave the Rave", "The Albany Wall Game" and "Billy G and the Drainhole Cell". That last one, if you think after reading it will tell you a lot about perseverance.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were segregated in to a special wing for their own protection. Like I have said before if you want capital punishment dished out to people guilty of the these crimes it should be administered by the state not some con trying to redeem themselves. How would they like it if they were put in chains and members of the public were invited to come in to the prison and beat the crap out of them once a year. Its like this attitude that even though the Krays were vicious gangsters they kept law and order in their own domain. Their rules based on nothing more than what they thought was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    angella wrote: »
    Do Child abusers get attacked in prison because their crimes are so abhorrent or is it because violent prisoners know they can get away with it?

I'm wondering if prison can be seen as microcosm of our society and that the general feeling is that child abuse is the worst possible crime.
    probably both.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its because there is still a code amongst criminality...
  • Options
    TolstoyTolstoy Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bit of both. Prisons aren't full of decent upstanding citizens with strong morals. They're populated, for the most part, with scumbags and some of them like the idea of battering someone else whilst adopting the moral high ground.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Tolstoy wrote: »
    A bit of both. Prisons aren't full of decent upstanding citizens with strong morals. They're populated, for the most part, with scumbags and some of them like the idea of battering someone else whilst adopting the moral high ground.

That's the part I struggle with,how could a murderer(for instance) possibly experience moral outrage?

In the majority if not all civilised societies is not murder considered to be the more serious crime?
    Whenever an abuser is jailed there are always cries of "they'll get what's coming to them in prison etc"it's almost as if it's a given.

I just wonder why it is seen by some as acceptable that they be judged and punished by individuals no better than they they are.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the part I struggle with,how could a murderer(for instance) possibly experience moral outrage?

Everyone has their own set of morals which they see as the best in their own eyes.

For example you find people who are totally against abortion yet for the death penalty.

I can't really understand how those two points of view fit together but to the person who does they are completely rational.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    because they are still human.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well exactly! "I might be a psychopathic killer who murdered 3 people in cold blood but at least I'm not one of THEM!!!!"

We all do it to some degree.

But, as someone else pointed out - people is max security tend to be violent anyway and so they can carry out their violence and "feel good" about doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares what happens to child abusers in prison?
  • Options
    mootpointmootpoint Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

because even some murderers feel that people who have abused kids *and women* are beneath contempt because they have chosen to attack somebody who has no chance whatsoever of fighting back. odd, basic logic maybe, but true
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    Because everyone likes to feel better than someone. It is an 'I may be a murderer, mugger, domestically violent (whatever) but at least I am not a kiddy fiddler' mentality. I don't care a jot really if criminals attack each other behind bars, but I can't say I buy into their moral superiority or criminal 'code' much.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scumbags picking on scumbags.

Prison just has a higher concentration of them than society in general, and they are squeezed in together where there is nowhere to run and hide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you can't say that "criminals" are a homogeneous group. You can't compare a paedo with a fraudster or a gang murderer with a rapist. Plus, everyone is a multifaceted individual in a social environment, especially prison. There is a pecking order, often based on physical prowess (like being back at school in that respect), and of course, on crimes. Paedos are given a hard time because of their crimes but - and this is the crucial difference - how the social response to their presence is handled is unique to prison environments.
    In prison, it's a pretty much sardine-like fight for survival, in that you have a load of people in a small place, often in for many years, having to constantly fight for space and status, and resources. Paedos are social pariahs regardless of context but in prison, they are often dealt with violently because the situation allows it. Prisoners can commit acts of violence so they do - while in open society, you can't do that. In prison, you may not think twice about physically attacking some pervert, just like in war, you would consider killing people a normal or acceptable part of your life.
    Another thing, is that by putting people below you, you can start to jostle for social stature from a decent starting block.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a prison thing , I think it goes on for attackers and rapers of old people
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching a program about a prison in Brazil (I think it was Brazil) & the sex offenders were kept segregated in a basement area. There was construction work going on at the prison at the time & their equipment (oxy-acetylene cutters, angle grinders etc) was stored in the basement along with the sex offenders.

Anyway, there was a riot & the "gen pop" prisoners took over the prison & made their way into the basement...

Can you imagine being in one of those cells listening to other prisoners being tortured to death, knowing that you were next.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paedophiles are segregated, and kept away from the other prisoners, as they were getting their heads kicked in, I don't think this is right, they did worse crimes than some in prison and are getting protection, they deserve to be beat up on once in a while.

Remember prisoners have kids of their own, and for this reason they give paedo's a hard time, I know what I would do if I had 5 minutes alone with a paedo :mad: they deserve everything they get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it's because, in the eyes of a lot of people, child abuse is the worst thing someone can do.

A murderer, for instance, may have killed someone who had the ability to defend themselves - an average adult killing an average adult. However, a paedophile is abusing a child who can't stop it.

I'm not saying that is the correct way of looking at things - after all, murder (for instance) is horrendous. I just assume that the people in prison look at it that way.

After all, if you've murdered or raped, you must have a fairly warped sense of morals anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I think that sexual offenders should be put with the other prisoners, not segregated for their own protection.

Scumbags who sexually assault children and adults deserve all they get.

I for one would not care if they got their heads kicked in because of a certain honour among theives.
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably due to the severity of the crime, I read somewhere that Sean Mercer was assaulted shortly after being sentenced.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    I think that sexual offenders should be put with the other prisoners, not segregated for their own protection.

I for one would not care if they got their heads kicked in because of a certain honour among theives.

The prison service has a duty of care to all prisoners, regardless of their crimes. Perhaps you'd like the guards to turn a blind eye when these beatings occur? Perhaps you'd like the injured nonces to be denied medical treatment?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »

The prison service has a duty of care to all prisoners, regardless of their crimes. Perhaps you'd like the guards to turn a blind eye when these beatings occur? Perhaps you'd like the injured nonces to be denied medical treatment?

Agreed. Much as I despise nonces, they are there to serve a sentence, not become fodder for those who want carte blanche to abuse who they judge fit. to be abused.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Agreed. Much as I despise nonces, they are there to serve a sentence, not become fodder for those who want carte blanche to abuse who they judge fit. to be abused.

Indeed. Let's remember Stefan Kiszko received many savage beatings from prisoners.