Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Why is it bazzare. It's typical of a broadcaster to send one of their main presenters to the location of a major story.

Then you go and say it's surprising the BBC Breakfast show didn't have a main face?

I highly doubt they would have got Eamonn there...?

Bizarre because Sky have several far better presenter/reporters than Burley and you need a heavyweight on a story like that. I don't think Eamonn's contract allows him to leave the country because of all his other commitments.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having been working at different times this week I have either seen up to 06:30 or after 06:30 to 07:00 and it still seems that every day has been different in one way or another with no real consistency - at desk/standing up or sofa.

Sean appears randomly only if there is any sports news to present - it doesn't seem that sport is routinely featured, he then appears in the vacant right-hand side spot on the desk.

I came across a GMB thread on another TV forum and so it wasn't just me that noticed that Charlotte's input had greatly reduced as she was "only" reading the news - think that bit does need to be balanced more, otherwise you end with the same scenario as with Sean (who is apparently reporting from Australia in a couple of weeks according to his Twitter feed). I suppose they have kept a "headlines" segment otherwise due to way the format is structured, would be awkward having Charlotte doing a segment and then having to move to do the headlines without some form of filler in between -perhaps use an ad break to allow her to move from one place to another and then a quick "over to [insert presenter's name] for the headlines".

The desk still looks odd with three people at one end, but looking at the wider shot of the studio the it's set for the camera angles with the two positions in the centre framed against the backdrop - if you spaced the three people out then the backdrop would no longer be central?

Think they could have left the regional news at the half hour, doesn't really allow enough time for the interaction between them.

Don't know if the jury is still out on these changes and whether there will be a GMB v1.3 which will put back the bits of GMB v1.0, v1.1 or v1.2 which didn't need changing?
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate, John & Susanna were good today!
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm suddenly starting to think that maybe Charlotte, Ben & Susanna will present Mon-Thurs with the replacements on a Friday.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ddp2ny/good-morning-britain--series-2---episode-10

Apparently next friday is Kate, John + Ranvir.

Also today, it was Kate, John + Susanna. Maybe it was due to be Ranvir but as she was in Paris, Susanna took over?
  • zak_gzak_g Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Regarding this week's changes:

Music and VO- I like the music, it still has the same beat and IMO it works slightly better for a breakfast show. The new voiceover is alright, although I do feel that it is slightly weak compared to the old one.

The set- I like the refreshed set! It looks very similar to GMTV/Daybreak but at the same time with the new desk,window frames at the top of the sofa windows and the 'grass' along with warmer lighting does feel very american, but I like it much more now!

The lineup- Having Ben, Susanna and Charlotte on from Monday to Thursday did feel much more consistent but from all we know John was most likely on holiday so couldn't appear on his usual day (s), it was probably the same for Kate and Ranvir was reporting from Paris so, understandably wouldn't have appeared anyway. It's likely to change again next week.

Just one thing that irritates me slighty-
    At the start of the week, the show had a lovely close and handover to Lorraine and by today it was a direct handover, not major i know but, i feel, GMB benefits from a good close!
  • simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever replaces Charlotte when she goes on maternity will be doing a 5 day week,so perhaps they'll alrternate with all presenters,or even Sean covers charlotte leaving Friday for John Kate ranvir.
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    zak_g wrote: »
    Just one thing that irritates me slighty-
    At the start of the week, the show had a lovely close and handover to Lorraine and by today it was a direct handover, not major i know but, i feel, GMB benefits from a good close!

If you mean the 'social interaction' then it's not possible, as Friday's 'Lorraine' is pre-recorded on the Thusday, Lorraine 'dont do' Friday's, sure give away is the paper review, Mon-Thus you'll notice........but what grates me is when whatshisname comes on and they refer to Friday's TV as 'tonight's' tele, just like 'Strictly' and the results show, 'last nights' dance.....their kidding no one.
  • Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can anyone e'mail GMB about Sean standing in for Ben instead of john in the near future even though i did hear that itv are looking at why Good Morning Britain is doing badly from the new year which is this year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding this week's changes:

The lineup- Having Ben, Susanna and Charlotte on from Monday to Thursday did feel much more consistent but from all we know John was most likely on holiday so couldn't appear on his usual day (s), it was probably the same for Kate and Ranvir was reporting from Paris so, understandably wouldn't have appeared anyway. It's likely to change again next week.

The only problem I see with this is the use of two presenters for most of the show and one just for the headlines - this week Charlotte has been on the news headlines and not had a lot else to do. The balance needs sorting out.

I think it worked better before Christmas when they used Kate and Ranvir with either Charlotte or Susanna - Charlotte having the opportunity to be the lead.

It would seem odd that they would do a show without any of the main presenters.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can anyone e'mail GMB about Sean standing in for Ben instead of john in the near future even though i did hear that itv are looking at why Good Morning Britain is doing badly from the new year which is this year

Why would you rather have Sean than John
    Forum Member

No they can't! The email adress is gmb@itv.com, just so that you can do it yourself! Btw, I would have John over Sean as a stand in any day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they can't! The email adress is gmb@itv.com, just so that you can do it yourself! Btw, I would have John over Sean as a stand in any day.

Same I would have John over Ben any day
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Same I would have John over Ben any day

Yes, he does carry GMB very well, Ben does seem to struggle with the news items.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he does carry GMB very well, Ben does seem to struggle with the news items.

Susanna takes the lead when there is big news stories
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Stapleton will be 69 next month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stapleton

Even if he's the best of a poor bunch, he's hardly the future.

Next revamp he should retire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well ITV won't be short of advice from people on DS:D
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Well ITV won't be short of advice from people on DS:D

it's like telling a drunk to stop drinking.

He's got to want to stop.

So everyone advising GMB to improve its content will only work if it wants to, and accepts that is the problem, rather than trying to convince themselves a different coloured sofa will do the trick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's like telling a drunk to stop drinking.

He's got to want to stop.

So everyone advising GMB to improve its content will only work if it wants to, and accepts that is the problem, rather than trying to convince themselves a different coloured sofa will do the trick.

One problem is that many of the production people are from the GMTV days and it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks which is probably why GMB seems to be slowly morphing back into GMTV. They should never have hung on to Dr Hilary, Ross King and Richard Arnold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    One problem is that many of the production people are from the GMTV days and it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks which is probably why GMB seems to be slowly morphing back into GMTV. They should never have hung on to Dr Hilary, Ross King and Richard Arnold.

Dr Hilary is a legend who has saved many lives he will never go unless he retires
  • Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Why would you rather have Sean than John

because he is good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    A Kate, John & Ranvir line up on a Friday sounds great. And makes sense to me, as it means continuity for viewers- which they love. It does mean we don't get to see much Kate & Ben who work so well together but I am sure that will alter when Charlotte goes on maternity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know if Charlotte is presenting this week - just seen a Twitter posting that appeared to have Kate? I would have thought we would have known if it was Charlotte's last week.
  • simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate will be reporting from Paris in the morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Why would they send Kate out there when Ranvir was there on Friday? If there is no Charlotte, seems like we are in for more changes this week.
    Forum Member
    dazzyb wrote: »
    Why would they send Kate out there when Ranvir was there on Friday? If there is no Charlotte, seems like we are in for more changes this week.

Or let's all wait and see for ourselves at 6am who is presenting and moan/praise then!