Options

A41 to M25 J20 - whats the point?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
I live near this road (which was built in 1993) which was a bypass to the old A41 through Berkhamstead, Hemel Hempstead, Kings Langley and takes you onto the M25. Well I would use this road but every day at peak times it is full from Hemel Hempstead all the way to the M25. Honestly, it just sits there full - yet people come back day after day for more! Its not even like if it were an urban road as it is in the countryside. It makes it pretty much impossible to use the car to go to work as what is the point of just sitting there for an hour or more? There are no exits at all so once you are on it you are stuck. In bad weather you can be on it at 1 AM in stuck in solid traffic while everyone else is in bed.

Anyone remember if this road ever worked properly without the stupid jams?

Here it is now, all other roads in the area running well except the A41. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/67d6b7s8r9fxvqx/AABo5pMKKOmoeLo3WzUqJmGoa

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Berko when it was being built. Was probably one of the first to use it but I rarely went further than Hemel. As a way to get north (now almost as far as Aylesbury) it's a big improvement. I wonder if they have any plans to dual it all the way to Bicester? Probably not because that's fairly straight and clear anyway.

What we need is the A422 between Banbury and Brackley (or even better Banbury and Milton Keynes) dualling. Or at least straightening and widening and a few black spots like Farthinghoe bypassed.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I use the A41/M25 several times a year but for the most part find the A41 to be very lightly used.

If you want to dual the A422 all the way to MK then you are going to have to find a way to bypass Buckingham too. Seems to make more sense to dual the A421 between the A43 and MK instead which has already been straightened and upgraded some years ago.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pfft - you should try the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon. It doesn't matter which way you go, it's just as bad either way.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Seems to make more sense to dual the A421 between the A43 and MK instead which has already been straightened and upgraded some years ago.
    Yes, that would work. The A422 west of Brackley desperately needs upgrading and I know that there's a lot of jobs in MK. If you could get from Banbury to MK more easily it'd help the region a lot.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm grateful for it because it means getting to my office in Kings Langley is a lot less busy, as is getting between the office and Shendish Manor where I usually stay.