Ashbourne Radio coming to 101.8 FM in Uttoxeter

2»

Comments

• Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    I don't believe that local DAB is active from that site. Those DAB aerials are actually pointing out towards Wales and Chester with the national BBC on from that site.
    Strange as the guys from MB21 are usually good? Maybe the current stacked Dipoles with reflector at Mow Cop might be replaced with a better directional aerial when D1 and the local MUX starts to prevent potential interference at other sites?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    When the local DAB roll out was being planned out a relay in Uttoxeter was mentioned:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/AnnexB/DSO_12D_Stoke_On_Trent_DAB_1.pdf

It doesn't appear in the final plan)

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/radio-ops/coverage/dab-coverage-plans/Stoke-on-Trent_DAB_Coverage_Plan_Final_Report_Jan15.pdf

(Interestingly if you look at the initial planning document for the Birmingham multiplex and a drawing of its neighbouring multiplexes it looks that the planners may have looked at extending the Stoke multiplex as far as Burton-upon-Trent as well)
    Although Uttoexter will not now get the Stoke mux as the area has some coverage from the Derby mux, looks like the Derby MUX is now getting a new relay at Bolehill (nr Wirksworth) which will cover part of Radio Ashbourne's area? But as small FM stations for Ashbourne and High Peak it is not worth going on the Derby MUX as they will have to pay for areas out of their editorial areas? Perhaps a minimux with SFN might suit them in future?
  • Options
    krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Test transmissions now on.
    Not too bad a signal here in Cheadle, 10 miles from the TX site, but fades very quickly driving north.
    Suppose it has to because Cross Rhythms comes in on the same frequency a few miles up the road.
  • Options
    Iain_BetsonIain_Betson Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Pretty much gone at the A50 Sudbury roundabout when driving eastbound. Good solid signal in Uttoxeter though.
  • Options
    mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The signal has gone just before the A50 Stoke turning at the roundabout , but it starts to fade on the A50 4 miles from the same turn , the other way it fades 2 miles past Uttoxeter .

The tests are in mono as far as I can tell as no stereo separation on a lady gaga track . And there is hardly any bass on the processing . And at the moment no text apart from the name of the statiion . Who is the person. Who is announcing the tests as he has a excellent radio voice .

I wonder if there is full coverage on the A515 between Utox. and Ashbourne now .
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly enough, I'm working in Uttoxeter this week. I've found the reception reports above to be more or less correct for the new relay.

104.5 is actually pretty strong in the town, stopping the seek on my car radio and giving RDS. Capital 102.8 is also pretty good. Radio stoke isn't quite as strong as Radio Derby, but still fine on the car radio. Signal 1, however gets squeezed to death between Capital and Touch 102.4 and is pretty much unlistenable.

The Sutton Coldfield nationals are fine in the town, the local and regionals are pretty weak though. By far the best signal for Smooth Radio is on 106.6, not 105.7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is Ashbourne radio in the town is still in mono.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I would suspect the signal isn't strong enough for stereo.

As I've said before I actually prefer mono, although I accept I'm in a minority here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not strong enough ? In the town centre it's very strong . It's just it's not in stereo .