BBC Music Jazz - pop-up station in November

Mark MMark M Posts: 805
Forum Member
✭✭
I see that the BBC and Jazz FM are teaming up in November to launch a pop-up station for the London Jazz Festival in the mould of Radio 2 Eurovision and Radio 2 Country...

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/09/jazz-fm-and-bbc-radio-to-operate-jazz-station/

'BBC Music Jazz' is a pretty terrible name as far as I'm concerned. Not sure whether they're moving away from the Radio 2 branding out of a desire to push the umbrella 'BBC Music' brand (as they did with Glastonbury), or because of sensitivities resulting from the partnership with Jazz FM.

As much as I like the idea of bringing together the best Jazz output of the BBC and Jazz FM in one place for a few days, I wonder whether this partnership has come about purely to cut Jazz FM in on a new (albeit temporary) service that muscles in on their territory.

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Jazz FM want to run a jazz station, why don't they just turn Jazz FM into one?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark M wrote: »

'BBC Music Jazz' is a pretty terrible name as far as I'm concerned. Not sure whether they're moving away from the Radio 2 branding out of a desire to push the umbrella 'BBC Music' brand (as they did with Glastonbury), or because of sensitivities resulting from the partnership with Jazz FM.
    From radiotoday it's actually run by R3 with input from R2 and Jazz FM. Jazz FM has moved into other genres, but hopefully moving back to Jazz as it moves towards D2 but there is no national soul or chill DAB station.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Mike Chadwick will have some shows!
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And no doubt it will be 64kbit/s miserable mono rather than DAB+ stereo.
  • Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Interesting that two of the most important broadcasters in jazz and related music are nowhere to be seen in this line up. Gilles Peterson has arguably done more than any other DJ to make jazz popular with the younger audience. Mike Chadwick who's won awards and is a massive champion of all kinds of jazz is also absent. Yet they've given a show to Sara Cox. Sorry but that really is a sick joke. Craig Charles also has no grounding in the genre whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis H wrote: »
    Interesting that two of the most important broadcasters in jazz and related music are nowhere to be seen in this line up. Gilles Peterson has arguably done more than any other DJ to make jazz popular with the younger audience. Mike Chadwick who's won awards and is a massive champion of all kinds of jazz is also absent. Yet they've given a show to Sara Cox. Sorry but that really is a sick joke. Craig Charles also has no grounding in the genre whatsoever.

Can't see a problem with Craig Charles doing a jazz-funk show, though there are other presenters who have been playing the music since the 80s (and they are not Sara Cox).

Gilles Peterson was disgracefully sacked by Jazz FM, apparently because one complaint was received that his show playing jazz with the theme of peace was in breach during the Gulf War.
  • Francis HFrancis H Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Inkblot;79831693
    Gilles Peterson was disgracefully sacked by Jazz FM, apparently because one complaint was received that his show playing jazz with the theme of peace was in breach during the Gulf War.[/QUOTE]

What on earth has that got to do with him appearing on the temporary jazz station? And Craig Charles suffers from verbal diarrhoea, gets in the way of the music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francis H wrote: »
    What on earth has that got to do with him appearing on the temporary jazz station? And Craig Charles suffers from verbal diarrhoea, gets in the way of the music.

Gilles Peterson might not want to be associated with the Jazz FM brand. On the other hand, he may just have other commitments at the time of the broadcast.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted