Any advice - bandwidth problem Virgin Media?

OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
Forum Member
I pay for 10mb (L) from Virgin Media and have a desktop PC with a Linksys Speed Boost Wireless Router connecting to my laptop which I use the most.

I cannot seem to watch any video clips on iPlayer, You Tube etc? I get the buffering circle and then a few seconds, then more buffering and so on. On iPlayer I get the message "insufficient bandwidth to view this" - not even sure what that means:confused:

Surely with 10mb I should be able to view these clips?
I have done broadband speed tests and am getting 8.5mb on the desktop (where the cable enters) but only 3-4mbs on the laptop. Is the router causing that huge difference?
The problem exists on both desktop and laptop irrespective of the broadband speed I'm getting

I've spoken to Virgin Media and they are laying the blame squarely on my router and want me to use theirs (it's only £4.99 and they have reduced my monthly payment, so not a hard sell)

I guess what I want to know is:

- is it standard to get a lower speed than you pay for (8.5 instead of 10mb)?
- is it the router causing my problem
- any other reason why I cannot watch video clips? (my laptop is fairly new, fast and has a high spec)

Grateful for any advice please?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Try bypassing the router and plugging the modem straight into 1 of your computers and try again? see how you get on ,also make sure nothing is running in the background that could be using your processor or ba:)ndwidth.....