Should tattoo's be removed for free by the NHS in the future

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you choose to get tattooed that's your choice and I'm more than happy for you to have that choice. If you decide you no longer want that tattoo then you are free to pay to have it removed.

No, elective cosmetic procedures of any kind should be available on the NHS.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote yes.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »

No, elective cosmetic procedures of any kind should be available on the NHS.

Unless it's the result of a hospital blunder

While I didn't want it I was offered plastic surgery to give me a fake belly button as I had to have mine removed due to a botched hernia operation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They are a choice and of people want them removed then they should pay for it.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not you pay to get a Tattoo you should pay for it's removal who's stupid idea was this ?
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They are a choice and of people want them removed then they should pay for it.

Totally agree. If you're daft enough to get one without thinking it through, then that's your lookout.

Just the same as crossing the street - if you choose not to look first, then you must suffer the consequences
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    What's the betting that any tattoo removal "offer" would be accompanied by a threat to stop the benefits of anybody who refused?
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, and I'm planning to spend over a grand to get one removed

My choice to get it, my choice to get it removed
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, and I'm planning to spend over a grand to get one removed

My choice to get it, my choice to get it removed

Have you researched the removal procedure rupert? A few people have said it's quite a painful set of treatments. However, the continual development of new laser systems are contributing to a reduction of pain.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    No.
    I'd go further and say anybody with facial tattoos or wearing a full face veil should not be able to claim unemployment benefits. By making such lifestyle choices they are making themselves pretty much unemployable to the vast majority of uk employers.
    Wear a veil or cover your face in tatts and sit back and claim the benefits.
    They send you on as many courses or inerviews as they like, the vast majority of employers will go for somebody else and they know it.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I vote yes.

Why do you feel that Pumping Iron?

I watched a show last night on tatt removal with some sort of new laser treatment.
    The results were very good.

I do not think they should be removed for free.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    Have you researched the removal procedure rupert? A few people have said it's quite a painful set of treatments. However, the continual development of new laser systems are contributing to a reduction of pain.

After watching the TV show last night about it, it looks about as painful as getting one done on your skin in the first place.
    It looked well worth doing, the results were very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless it's the result of a hospital blunder

While I didn't want it I was offered plastic surgery to give me a fake belly button as I had to have mine removed due to a botched hernia operation.

hence my use of the word "elective". You didn't rock up and ask for a new belly button a whim.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    UKNikey wrote: »
    As pointed out by another poster I'm sure this is going to happen.

Will the government back this Free Tatt removal service in the future as a Back to work initiative?

No, though no doubt some clever clogs doctor will get it done for a patient - sorry, client - on psychological grounds. I should like to see NHS services scaled back to the essentials and if anyone wants any cosmetic treatment, under which I would class having a tattoo removed, they should have it done privately and they should pay for the work.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    I'd go further and say anybody with facial tattoos or wearing a full face veil should not be able to claim unemployment benefits. By making such lifestyle choices they are making themselves pretty much unemployable to the vast majority of uk employers.
    Wear a veil or cover your face in tatts and sit back and claim the benefits.
    They send you on as many courses or inerviews as they like, the vast majority of employers will go for somebody else and they know it.

Thats a bit unfair, perhaps employers attitudes towards employees should be the change. especially if the role is non-customer facing like in a warehouse, how does a facial tattoo impact on the ability to do a job?

I agree with most posters though, you chose it, you can choose if you want it removing. A lack of tattoos shouldnt be a condition of employment however.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a bit unfair, perhaps employers attitudes towards employees should be the change. especially if the role is non-customer facing like in a warehouse, how does a facial tattoo impact on the ability to do a job?

I agree with most posters though, you chose it, you can choose if you want it removing. A lack of tattoos shouldnt be a condition of employment however.

I do a certain amount of interviewing and hiring and impartiality is the name of the game.

Of course, when seeing someone with tattoos you don't like, you secretly hold it against them, don't give them the job and pretend it was for some other reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you feel that Pumping Iron?

I watched a show last night on tatt removal with some sort of new laser treatment.
    The results were very good.

I do not think they should be removed for free.

If someone makes a silly decision when younger, I think that it should be provided for them. I know some people think 'its their own fault' but so is a lot of what is treated on the nhs.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone makes a silly decision when younger, I think that it should be provided for them. I know some people think 'its their own fault' but so is a lot of what is treated on the nhs.

I think there are some things that are 'their own fault', but these things - accidents doing extreme sport, weight surgery, aren't OF THEIR NATURE, deliberately marking their skin in a particular way.

That choice is their choice, it's not an unfortunate side effect of something else.

If they get tired of it, then tough, shouldn't have done it.

And besides, you might get 'oh the NHS'll take if off when I get sick of it, and then I can get a new one' attitude as well.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit to a deep seated prejudice against visble tattoos in that I instantly think very negatively about people who have them in positions where they can't be covered.

I am bemused at how something so permanent has moved into mainstream fashion which is such a transient thing where nothing ever lasts.Having a tattoo has become mainstream coming in from the margins where it used to be just the norm of sailors and a disproportionate amount of criminals( told you I was prejudiced) and as for girls with tattooed forearms and chests etc.............WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!

There will never be any good news for someone who tattoos the face and head or majority of their body and I can't help thinking that there is some sort of disorder or self loathing at work where this has taken place.

Rather than the taxpayer pay for tattoo regrets and mistakes maybe tattoo parlours need to take more responsibility and raise their standards to not allow what amounts to people mutilating themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are some things that are 'their own fault', but these things - accidents doing extreme sport, weight surgery, aren't OF THEIR NATURE, deliberately marking their skin in a particular way.

That choice is their choice, it's not an unfortunate side effect of something else.

If they get tired of it, then tough, shouldn't have done it.

And besides, you might get 'oh the NHS'll take if off when I get sick of it, and then I can get a new one' attitude as well.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. It still doesn't change mine though. However I realise I am in the minority here.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,921
    Forum Member
    Certainly not. Anything self inflicted that is not life-threatening should not be corrected by the NHS.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

If I'm right then you have to be over 18 to get one done so I'd hardly call that young.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit to a deep seated prejudice against visble tattoos in that I instantly think very negatively about people who have them in positions where they can't be covered.

I am bemused at how something so permanent has moved into mainstream fashion which is such a transient thing where nothing ever lasts.Having a tattoo has become mainstream coming in from the margins where it used to be just the norm of sailors and a disproportionate amount of criminals( told you I was prejudiced) and as for girls with tattooed forearms and chests etc.............WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!

There will never be any good news for someone who tattoos the face and head or majority of their body and I can't help thinking that there is some sort of disorder or self loathing at work where this has taken place.

Rather than the taxpayer pay for tattoo regrets and mistakes maybe tattoo parlours need to take more responsibility and raise their standards to not allow what amounts to people mutilating themselves.

A lot of people don't see it as "multilating" themsleves. They see it as body art. I do admire you for admitting to your own prejudices though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I am a qualified midwife with quite a large tattoo on my right forearm, another small one on my left wrist. I have never covered them up (you can't in a hospital anyway as you have to be bare below the elbows) and the only comment I got about it was from a student doctor who said I couldn't have tattoos whilst working in a hospital....a bit of a dumbo he was, considering he said it to me whilst I was working in a hospital. I have never had an issue getting a job with my tattoos.

I don't think people should get free tattoo removals on the NHS at all. Save up and get it done yourself. Better yet, I don't think employers should be so picky about them in the first place. As long as they aren't excessive or offensive then I'm not seeing an issue.