small piles of soil appeared on block paving

_ben_ben Posts: 5,758
Forum Member
In the last few days lots of little piles of soil have appeared all over my block paving. If they'd appeared in the summer at the front of the house where it's sunny then I'd assume it was ants, but these have just appeared round the back of the house where it's shady and we never see any ants. Is there anything other than ants that causes this?

Comments

• Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably ants but a small chance it is a type of bee.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    Could be worm casts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    _ben wrote: »
    In the last few days lots of little piles of soil have appeared all over my block paving. If they'd appeared in the summer at the front of the house where it's sunny then I'd assume it was ants, but these have just appeared round the back of the house where it's shady and we never see any ants. Is there anything other than ants that causes this?

The plot thickens.....
  • Fraudrey CFraudrey C Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    It might be pixies?
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Air holes...how many people have you buried?
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bees, wasps and ants all dig holes in soil. They can leave little mounds on block paving and grass. You don't normally get worm casts on block paving.
  • Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be worm casts.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I get them in the rear garden too.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say ants. We get them. It's amazing how sunlight and water produces vegetation from nothing.I know this isn't vegetation but the seeds drift around and create a climate for a bit of plant growth, and the ants.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

Are the piles of soil coming up through the joins in the paving?
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    lemonbun wrote: »
    Are the piles of soil coming up through the joins in the paving?

They are all on the joins, yes. They look a bit like little piles of coffee granules, but when you crush them they appear to be made of soil.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably ants
    Forum Member
    They are all on the joins, yes. They look a bit like little piles of coffee granules, but when you crush them they appear to be made of soil.

It could be moles digging under your paving.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    They'd have to be pretty tiny though to get soil up through a crack between paving slabs.
    Forum Member
    They'd have to be pretty tiny though to get soil up through a crack between paving slabs.

Moles are a big problem in our garden. When we get rid off them under the grass, they find a way to dig under the patio. A tiny mole hill between the patio slabs is a sign.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be ants.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Moles are a big problem in our garden. When we get rid off them under the grass, they find a way to dig under the patio. A tiny mole hill between the patio slabs is a sign.
    I have moles - my garden looks freshly dug sometimes when the little blighters have been busy. I live in the arse-end of nowhere though, where manicured lawns are a rarity, so I really don't mind.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh a childhood memory. My gran used to have those worm casts all over her back garden and I used to call them "coggly mud" that is what it is! Coggly mud!
  • simon_vale1simon_vale1 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or Trevor Jordache coming back from the dead 😃