New study shows that people stop listening to new music at 33

13»

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Some posters on this thread can't seem to comprehend that just because a study isn't true for them that the general trend can still be true.

The choice on Spotify is so overwhelming I can easily see people of a certain age just sticking to the familiar.

But that's not what the link in the first post said. In fact it said

First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age — but which has since phased out of popularity.”

The conclusion, at least according to the linked article, is that as we get older we become less interested in sticking to the familiar.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    But that's not what the link in the first post said. In fact it said

First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age — but which has since phased out of popularity.”

The conclusion, at least according to the linked article, is that as we get older we become less interested in sticking to the familiar.

Those were the determining factors and the conclusion is that we stick to the familiar after a maturing process which takes place post teens.

What the study suggests is teens listen to lots of popular music in their teens. In their 20s up to their early 30s they experiment more and then stick with the familiar (the maturing of their tastes). The first determining factor affects the discovery process, the second is the return to the familiar. That's why the conclusion is that on average from the early 30s onwards people stick to the familiar. It's only one study but it is based on a large data set.

Any study could be interpreted in different ways but I think that is the sensible way to interpret this one.

You might note that Amazon and Spotify use this kind of data when they make recommendations. How well do you think those work?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Those were the determining factors and the conclusion is that we stick to the familiar after a maturing process which takes place post teens.

What the study suggests is teens listen to lots of popular music in their teens. In their 20s up to their early 30s they experiment more and then stick with the familiar (the maturing of their tastes). The first determining factor affects the discovery process, the second is the return to the familiar. That's why the conclusion is that on average from the early 30s onwards people stick to the familiar. It's only one study but it is based on a large data set.

Any study could be interpreted in different ways but I think that is the sensible way to interpret this one.

You might note that Amazon and Spotify use this kind of data when they make recommendations. How well do you think those work?
    I didn't read that excerpt as chronological - first this happens, second that happens - but as two reasons: first because of this, second because of that. In which case, it could be argued that whilst teens are more engaged with music that is currently popular (which seems to be the study's definition of "new"), older listeners are more interested in music that is either "not currently popular" or "has stopped being popular".

Also, if you define "new" music as that which is currently popular it's bound to skew the results because one thing that happens as you get older is you get more cynical about hype, marketing etc. You don't seek out music because it's popular, you seek out music because you like it or think you could like it. Which is why my answer your question about Amazon and Spotify is that I pay absolutely no heed to their recommendations, so I've no idea whether they work.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In denial?

Not at all, a "midlife crisis" would indicate you have a problem with how old you are and I don't have that problem, I have a great life.

1 Desiring a simpler life - No, I love my life.
    2 Still going to music festivals like Glastonbury - Why should age be an issue when it comes to going to a music festival? That idea is stupid.
    3 Start looking up old boyfriends or girlfriends on Facebook - Never have.
    4 Realise you will never be able to pay off your mortgage - paid off
    5 Joining Twitter so your bosses think you 'get' digital - I would never tell my boss I was on Twitter or any other social media.
    6 Excessively reminisce about your childhood - Nope
    7 Take no pleasure in your friends' successes - Nope
    8 Splashing out on an expensive bicycle - Nope
    9 Sudden desire to play an instrument - Nope
    10 Fret over thinning hair - My hair is as thick now as it was 30 years ago so no issue for me.
    11 Take up a new hobby - Nope
    12 Want to make the world a better place - Nope
    13 Longingly look at old pictures of yourself - Nope
    14 Dread calls at unexpected times from your parents (fearing the worst) - Nope
    15 Go to reunion tours of your favourite bands from the 70s and 80s - Nope. I would never do that unless they were still doing new and interesting music. "Re-union" tours for the money have never interested me.
    16 Switch from Radio 2 to indie stations like 6 Music - Nope. Never listened to Radio 2.
    17 Revisit holiday destinations you went to as a child - Nope.
    18 Cannot envisage a time when you will be able to afford to retire - Nope. I will be retired within the next 10 years at the most.
    19 Read obituaries in the newspapers with far greater interest — and always check how people die
    20 Obsessively compare your appearance with others the same age. - Nope.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I've been to several gigs with my son. He's now grown up, lives a long way away and goes to gigs with friends so I hope having a parent who was interested in new music was a positive introduction to live music for him. I have friends who don't have kids, who go to gigs and like both established artists and new music; and I have friends who do have kids who also like both established artists and new music. So I don't think there's a hard-and-fast rule about age, parenthood, and musical taste.

Oh, and I was well over 33 when I became a dad, so I was a lot older than that by the time I started going to gigs with my son!

That's good to hear, and I agree, having a parent interested in new music can only be a positive I think. I was just talking from my own experience really though, as my friend and I were very comparable in terms of our interest and enthusiasm for music and there is now a vey marked difference between us in this respect.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I'd say I probably fit this. It seems to make sense that one explores and then settles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all, a "midlife crisis" would indicate you have a problem with how old you are and I don't have that problem, I have a great life.

1 Desiring a simpler life - No, I love my life.
    2 Still going to music festivals like Glastonbury - Why should age be an issue when it comes to going to a music festival? That idea is stupid.
    20 Obsessively compare your appearance with others the same age. - Nope.

You do realise the midlife crisis thing wasn't meant to be serious? :confused:

Are you another one who doesn't understand the difference between your own experience and a general trend (see semierotics' point above)?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise the midlife crisis thing wasn't meant to be serious? :confused:

However you were the one who suggested I was "in denial", which I am not.
    Are you another one who doesn't understand the difference between your own experience and a general trend (see semierotics' point above)?

No, I am one of those who take such things with a massive pinch of salt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However you were the one who suggested I was "in denial", which I am not.

I must use the smiley faces in future. :)