DAB - R4 - Missing time pip

wrongsideof40wrongsideof40 Posts: 9
Forum Member
Can't find reference to this elsewhere, so...

Just traded up - yes, UP - to a Ford Fiesta. Great little car with a DAB radio fitted as standard. Every morning, without fail, the BBC Radio Four 9am time signal is missing its final pip.

I don't know if this happens at other times or on other channels. I believe the phenomena is confined to DAB. Also, I don't know if this is 'as broadcast' or just peculiar to my radio.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Martin

Comments

• cp2cp2 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your now car to the base spec? Maybe only the deluxe versions get all the pips.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the radio forum.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I have the DAB radio in my car set to show the time so all the pips are now obsolete and are a waste of valuable broadcasting time - they could fit in a whole extra episode of The Archers each week for example.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have BBC local radio travel announcement flashes enabled? (aka TA)

If so, it may be the radio is seeking to retune to one at just that moment then fails due to a poor signal, with a resultant mute of that pip? (TA retune signals are sent for many services, but not all will be in range). {IIRC there is one LR that does travel flashes 'on the hour' which is <barking mad>, imho}.

The pips are most useful via DAB for setting clocks a few seconds slow ;) If the Focus is anything like my Ford Galaxy DAB radio the Clock Time facility doesn't update the car's clock automatically.
  • SleemSleem Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem with my mini system, but not with other radios, I think it is when the "Yesterday in Parliament" opt-out rejoins and the bit rate changes.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Sleem wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my mini system, but not with other radios, I think it is when the "Yesterday in Parliament" opt-out rejoins and the bit rate changes.

Correct
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - you'll probably also miss a pip at 8am when the Yesterday in Parliament service starts for the same reason.

As has been said, the pips are not an accurate time source via DAB. There is a satellite feed delay and then individual radios decode with different delays.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    they could fit in a whole extra episode of The Archers each week for example.
    I'd prefer the pips :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Pip's currently one of the least favourite characters! :p
  • Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    It's just the way some radios quite badly deal with multiplex reconfigurations, i.e. to start or end Yesterday in Parliament, Daily Service etc. It's often worse if another (primary) radio service gets bitrate back from a (secondary) service, i.e. when Radio 4 goes back up to 128kb/s joint stereo from 80kb/s mono.
  • wrongsideof40wrongsideof40 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your responses. I prefer the bit rate change theory. But as this is at 0800 (not 0900), would they be altering the bit rate for the last hour of the Today programme?
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your responses. I prefer the bit rate change theory. But as this is at 0800 (not 0900), would they be altering the bit rate for the last hour of the Today programme?
    No... They do the alteration at about 0830 ) and 0900 for the YIP programme... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012mbrz

If this happens every day, perhaps my Travel flash theory may still hold some water? :o

Try pressing the radio button labelled TRAFFIC or TA once on your Fiesta to see if it makes any difference tomorrow?
  • wrongsideof40wrongsideof40 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    No... They do the alteration at about 0830 ) and 0900 for the YIP programme... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012mbrz

If this happens every day, perhaps my Travel flash theory may still hold some water? :o

Try pressing the radio button labelled TRAFFIC or TA once on your Fiesta to see if it makes any difference tomorrow?

Thanks for your suggestion. However, the TA traffic flag was OFF today but the final 0800 pip was still missing.

According to my trusty Radio Times, LW, FM and DAB all carry the same programming before and after the hour, casting doubt on the 'opt-outs rejoining' theory.