I have never understood what flying has to do with skating

Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please would someone more knowledgeable than I explain it to me?

Comments

• Melody.ExEMelody.ExE Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I was literally just having this exact conversation. It makes no sense to me at all.

It takes a lot of balance and core strength, so it is impressive, but I just don't get how it's relevant to Ice Skating.
  • coral_janecoral_jane Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I wish I knew...
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a daft gimmick which puts male contestants at a distinct disadvantage and serves no real purpose in a skating competition.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for replying.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Absolutely nothing at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    It's a daft gimmick which puts male contestants at a distinct disadvantage and serves no real purpose in a skating competition.

Completely agree, even Robin pointed this out. Why disadvantage the males when the two left tonight are blatantly he best two in the competition. Even though Sam blatantly didnt have the support he was the 2nd best there. Hayley can only perform (CANT skate on her own which was highlighted last week) and Beth can skate well but there is nothing else. People slate Jason but he is right in her performances there is no personality (she seems a lovely person outside of her performance) It seems it is a popularity contest. Lovely person versus Cheesy gurning grin girl
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I don't see the purpose of flying in ice dancing but if you include it and set criteria then at least go by it. I thought the judges were supposed to be looking at 'transitions' ie move from flight to ice. How could they mark Hayley as she never actually did any skating in her flying routine?! All she did was pose in the air basically. Yes she posed very well but it's hardly ice dancing is it?
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks nice! Lol
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the flying in DOI, I thought the year they didn't do it (must've been Sam's year) that we wouldn't need to see it again, but unfortunately it came back. It definitely favours the girls, and we saw with Vicky tonight that the female pros certainly aren't familiar with flying routines where they have to manoeuvre their male partner. I don't understand the purpose of this round. Glad it at least wasn't in the final, but did think it was interesting that the two boys ended up in the skate off the week of the flying routine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    I hate the flying in DOI, I thought the year they didn't do it (must've been Sam's year) that we wouldn't need to see it again, but unfortunately it came back. It definitely favours the girls, and we saw with Vicky tonight that the female pros certainly aren't familiar with flying routines where they have to manoeuvre their male partner. I don't understand the purpose of this round. Glad it at least wasn't in the final, but did think it was interesting that the two boys ended up in the skate off the week of the flying routine.

That was what was meant to happen and that is probably why they did flying tonight. . Now they have the finalists they wanted. Two girls who appear to have the public vote and Ray just getting into the final by being voted through by the judges. It makes the final look unpredictable. Up until tonight it looked as if Ray had just to turn up and he would win. Now there is some doubt about the result. Job done.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, we have said the same during every series.
    We just don't get it at all
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanaunty wrote: »
    I don't see the purpose of flying in ice dancing but if you include it and set criteria then at least go by it. I thought the judges were supposed to be looking at 'transitions' ie move from flight to ice. How could they mark Hayley as she never actually did any skating in her flying routine?! All she did was pose in the air basically. Yes she posed very well but it's hardly ice dancing is it?

And, don't forget, when Beth was 'flying', almost the whole time she was being pulled around by her partner, by legs or by arm,she was never really on her won.

What was the point of it all??
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have T&D ever flown on DOI?
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »

Yes, they have - think it may have been last series ??
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the flying part & fail to see its relevance. It not only disadvantages the male celebs (as if they didn't have enough disadvantage already, having to learn to skate confidently enough to lift their partners, while the female celebs can be carried!) but it also disadvantages those who suffer from motion sickness.

Didn't someone have to drop out of the competition last year for that very reason? Completely unfair.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    I hate the flying part & fail to see its relevance. It not only disadvantages the male celebs (as if they didn't have enough disadvantage already, having to learn to skate confidently enough to lift their partners, while the female celebs can be carried!) but it also disadvantages those who suffer from motion sickness.

Didn't someone have to drop out of the competition last year for that very reason? Completely unfair.

I agree with all this, I just hate all the gimmicky stuff. I just want to see ice-dancing.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, don't forget, when Beth was 'flying', almost the whole time she was being pulled around by her partner, by legs or by arm,she was never really on her won.

What was the point of it all??

I seem to remember her doing 3 consecutive somersaults way above her partner's head .
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    I seem to remember her doing 3 consecutive somersaults way above her partner's head .

The only time, in fact, that she was 'on her own', despite being on the wires and off the ice for almost the whole performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »

I agree. The men, no matter how good they are, look clumsy. It's very unfair.

Hayley's skate touched the ice twice. She looked beautiful in the air but she wasn't skating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't think Chris flies, does he? For reasons already expressed, no doubt!
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »

Yes Gareth due to motion sickness. Always found the flying pointless.
  • JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melody.ExE wrote: »
    I was literally just having this exact conversation. It makes no sense to me at all.

It takes a lot of balance and core strength, so it is impressive, but I just don't get how it's relevant to Ice Skating.

Well the producers decided that it should be part of the competition and the celebrities agreed to do it, so I don't see why all this fuss has been made about it. Those who don't think it should be there can go and make themselves a cup of tea while it is on (but I bet they watch it just the same!)
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    Wish they'd have done certain moves instead ... Shadow skating etc etc
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I seem to remember a flying Bolero, but I think it might have been with silks not wires :confused:
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    Well the producers decided that it should be part of the competition and the celebrities agreed to do it, so I don't see why all this fuss has been made about it. Those who don't think it should be there can go and make themselves a cup of tea while it is on (but I bet they watch it just the same!)

Exactly. But just like props, it's something they do in professional ice shows.

DOI isn't the Olympics, and never has been. Flying is one of the skills expected of contestants who want to make it to the final, and so long as it's judged reasonably fairly, I don't see the big deal.

The men get a bit of an advantage in that they are pushed to work on their basic skating from the start, while the women get criticised for being lifted. For just one routine of the whole series, the men are at a bit of a disadvantage, but not that much, because the judges know it's harder for the men.

Sam should have been at the biggest disadvantage, because of the biggest height difference between him and his partner, but he was still considerably better than Ray, so there's clearly a lot more to it than gender.

The biggest problem for Ray was that he was over-marked for a very lack-lustre flying routine, especially by Ashley. Even Ray seemed embarrassed by that score.:blush: