Do you want the Time Lords and Gallifrey to return?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
Forum Member
Personally I don't, I just found them a bit dull in the classics. I thin RTD did the right thing getting rid of them tbh.

Comments

• PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not really. I agree RTD made a good choice in killing them off, and it added to the Doctors character. Personally I would rather stories with new species and conflicts than more time lord malarkey
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    No. Gallifrey's boring. No wonder the Doctor left.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    I love Gallifreyan stories in Classic who and the books
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Maybe, but only if their motives conflict with the Doctor's.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends upon what they do with them and how strong the story, basically. If we get something in the vein of The War Games or The Deadly Assassin or Day/Time of the Doctor, bring it on! If the quality veers more towards Arc of Infinity (although I'm quite fond of it, the depiction of Gallifrey and the Time Lords is pretty bland) or The End of Time.....nah.

I do like the idea of Gallifrey and the Time Lords being out there somewhere. After 7 series of 'the last of the Time Lords' thought it was good to shake things up and address the Time War. But as always with returning elements, the story's the thing.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    No leave them lost.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Just not ones like Timotthy Dalton who spit.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not cut and clean back.
    They were part of the worst conflict in all of space time.
    You can't just bounce back from that.

By all means bring back some of the old favourites like Romana and Rassilon, and maybe some of the more obscure ones like Borusa and Flavia.

But if the Time Lords do come back, I want their stories to be existential ones.
    How do they relate back into the Galaxy after what happened?
    What happened during the time that they were banished, and how has it changed them?
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I love Gallifrey and everything about it. I preferred them when they were well-meaning but insular bureaucrats than the current bunch of megalomaniacs but, I still love the idea of them. The fact that there is a whole race of superior beings out there to whom the Doctor is affiliated just makes him all the more special, for me.

There have been some great time lords in the past. They have made great companions, great acquaintances and great enemies. Their manipulations have the potential to create unique stories and ideas.

In fact the whole concept of a race dedicated to maintaining the balance of time really appeals and their absence explains why the universe has almost torn itself apart twice now without them.

I hated it when they were removed. I never bought the idea of how it was even plausible for all of them to disappear from all of time and space and nothing I've seen about the way the time war played out explains it.

Absolute yes for me. Bring them back and bring them back to stay!
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes!

just to see how 12 would react to the Time Lords using a Time Scoop to summon him to Gallifrey :D i think it would be really funny! and also the story of "Gallifrey being lost" is going to get stale eventually so i believe a return is inevitable :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a decade or so. "Quest for Gallifrey" is a good plot generator, gives the Doctor a modicum of purpose. More interesting than having the planet there - this way we can get Time Lords slipping through without the baggage of the full silly hat brigade.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think it should.

We've seen how the Doctor would react to the knowledge of Gallifrey, he would feel obligated to go home and fix it. In truth, the reason that the Time War happened and the Time Lords became insane was because rather than try to fix their problems, the Doctor ran away and surely his conscience would drag him back there.

And as the Doctor himself noted in Death in Heaven, the Doctor is not that man. He is the madman with a box and a screwdriver, who doesn't stop. Bringing back Gallifrey would be a poor move for the show (plus although I've not seen the classics a lot of people clearly don't regard the Time Lords or Gallifrey highly, the words dull are thrown around a lot).
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be a multi series arc where he wants to bring back the timelords and all the psychological guilt tripping etc, the program is mainly the adventures of one person (the doctor) and all his baggage and i don't think he wants to spend aeons alone so he'll want to have someone to be able to talk 5th dimensional maths with
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they shouldn't come back. RTD did the right thing by making the Doctor unique and only one of his kind a bit like Superman and Buffy. It makes them more special.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    No, keep it as it is.

Allude to it now and again by all means, but don't bring it back. Why waste money on a bunch of sets just for the Doctor to go home when we have all of time and space at our disposal? One of the biggest strengths that newer Doctor Who has is that it actually manages to extend the depth and mystery of The Doctor. Gallifrey returning would take all of that away, and further negate the emotional resonance of the stories told so far - something The Day of the Doctor is already partially guilty of.

I don't mind a very gradual story where the odd Timelords are slipping through into this universe. The Master is back, maybe another will eventually. But it's not a story to be rushed, and frankly I'd prefer a new threat/directive when it comes to Series 9.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well ,,,,,, originally the timelords were "like gods" with their advanced technology - the vestments worn in The War Games are curiously like Church of England ones ....... but then they just became something to make fun of, from Invasion of Time onwards ........... the problem is, have they been killed off, or haven't they ? If they're trapped inside some sort of "alternative reality", then really, they're not timelords ........ maybe more just tardis repairmen .........
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    joe_000 wrote: »
    No they shouldn't come back. RTD did the right thing by making the Doctor unique and only one of his kind a bit like Superman and Buffy. It makes them more special.

But Superman is not unique or the last of his kind there is Supergirl-Zod and others
    By the last episode of Buffy there were 100's if not 1000's of slayers and even before that there was Faith and other slayers
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not overly keen on them,but I don't mind them being back if kept well in the background with the odd Gallifrey episode every 2 or 3 years.
    After the 50th I was worried this series would be all about the Doctor bringing back the Time Lords it was a pleasant surprise that it wasn't.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    well ,,,,,, originally the timelords were "like gods" with their advanced technology -....If they're trapped inside some sort of "alternative reality", then really, they're not timelords ........ maybe more just tardis repairmen .........
    It always struck me that for Time Lords they didn't seem to do much 'time lording'!
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    I think that the "Gallifrey is missing" will be an ongoing story thread much like "The Last of the Time Lords" was for much of RTD's and SM's tenures. It will be there, in the background, and will provide the backstory and, from time to time, motivation for the Doctor.

With "The Last of the Time Lords", over time we learned that it's because there was a war against the Daleks and both species were destroyed (excepting the Doctor himself, of course); oh, and then we learned a Dalek had survived; and then a few Daleks; and then the Master; and then.... well... you get the picture. We were drip fed bits through both tenures, until SM decided to "blow the doors off" with "Day of the Doctor".

I think we've had just one reference to the "Quest for Gallifrey" in series 8 and it will be drip fed slowly like that for several years.

If SM is wise, he'll leave the final stages of the search (and perhaps the rediscovery of Gallifrey) to the next show runner.

The problem with bringing back Gallifrey full time, and the Time Lords fully restored, is that the Time Lords are too powerful. It'd be too easy for them to create a problem, or fix one, "deux ex machina" style. This wouldn't make for good drama.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Superman is not unique or the last of his kind there is Supergirl-Zod and others
    By the last episode of Buffy there were 100's if not 1000's of slayers and even before that there was Faith and other slayers

My point is that Krypton wasn't brought back with a planet full of Kryptonians and the premise if the whole if Buffy was that there was one slayer. Faith was an anomoly caused by the death of Kendra another anomoly when Buffy died and came back alive. The 1000s of Slayers occurred due to Willows magical interference in the final episode only.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    joe_000 wrote: »
    My point is that Krypton wasn't brought back with a planet full of Kryptonians and the premise if the whole if Buffy was that there was one slayer. Faith was an anomoly caused by the death of Kendra another anomoly when Buffy died and came back alive. The 1000s of Slayers occurred due to Willows magical interference in the final episode only.
    Potential Slayers got activated at the same time to fight the Big Bad
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Yes. Gallifrey stories give us more tantalising details of the Doctor's personal history. That is always very interesting.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    The problem with bringing back Gallifrey full time, and the Time Lords fully restored, is that the Time Lords are too powerful. It'd be too easy for them to create a problem, or fix one, "deux ex machina" style. This wouldn't make for good drama.

I disagree, the classic series never had that problem despite the Time Lords being around full time.
  • Crocodile TearsCrocodile Tears Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    NO!

Last time the Timelords returned was "The End of Time"....... enough said!
    Though I'll admit the last 20 minutes of Part 2 (after all the Timelords crap was over) was enjoyable.