The Gadget Show Returns - Fridays @ 7pm on C5

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what’s going on with the scheduling of The Gadget Show over the next couple of weeks?

The next edition - episode 6, isn’t on Channel 5 next Friday, understandable as it’s Good Friday, but is on Spike next Saturday (in the usual ‘repeat slot’ at 9:15am).
    Then the following Friday it returns to Channel 5 in its usual Friday slot, but it’s episode 7.

So is episode 6 only airing on Spike?! Or is this just a scheduling error that’s be corrected (presumably by replacing the Spike edition with an old episode, and then Channel 5 picking up with episode 6 after a week’s absence)? I presume the latter...?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the very first ones are being uploaded here now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZjY2oY5as
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really thought Adam Sandler was dead!(he isn't)
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I dream that this was billed as a "Future Special" ?

Have I just watched Jon Bentley deliver a (quite good) EV review ... and never even mention Tesla :o

Sure, a Model S costs a fair bit more than any of the cars featured ... but this is meant to be a Gadget show, not a consumer report of value for money cars.

I'm just sayin ... he could have mentioned the Tesla !

Instead his team of the general public got to drive some rather odd-looking cars with ranges of less than 100 miles (and mediocre performance) from which he concluded that EV car technology was "not there yet".

And on my left ...

The Tesla Model S has been on sale for several years now with a range of well over 200 miles and a 0-60 from a basic model of about 5s to under 3s for the top spec version.

And if you have a grumble about a price tag that starts at £55k, then bear in mind that the Model 3 is expected to cost only half of that (and be almost as good in most respects). Sure, it's probably eighteen months away ... but this was supposed to be a Future Special wasn't it ?

Since when did a car become a gadget :confused: I'm sick of cars filling out and wasting time on programmes like Pawn stars and Posh Pawn etcc
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bump to mention that Series 24 begins on Friday at 7pm.

Not a huge highlight any more really as it's same old same old, but they tend to have some interesting stuff here and there so always worth a watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone catch it ?

It was a "Top 20 Greatest Gadgets of All Time" countdown. I fast forwarded through the vast majority of it myself.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Rubbish is the word that comes to mind.

No mention of the Nokia 3210, Nintendo Entertainment System, Playstation 2, 3 iconic gadgets that came to my mind right away. Instead we have a Calculator, Microwave and of course several Apple products.

Like you i fast forwarded 90%
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very much a filler episode, frankly, and an odd choice for the opener of a new series. However it is also one of those lists that could be argued over until he cows come home (which is maybe the point), although personally I ca't really strongly argue against their choices. Hopefully things will improve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I suppose the thinking that it could be particularly divisive was probably behind the choice of episode.

I get why they chose the Motorola brick as the 'father' of mobile phones, which it was, but the Nokia 3210 was the phone that brought them in to the mainstream and arguably had more of an impact.

But then I guess many people were probably expecting them to put an apple product at the top of the list :)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fast forwarded through the vast majority of it myself.
    Yep. Watched more of it than I should have before I caught on that there was going to be nothing novel in the episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I suppose the thinking that it could be particularly divisive was probably behind the choice of episode.

I get why they chose the Motorola brick as the 'father' of mobile phones, which it was, but the Nokia 3210 was the phone that brought them in to the mainstream and arguably had more of an impact.

But then I guess many people were probably expecting them to put an apple product at the top of the list :)
    A lot of them in fact were particular examples of a 'group' of devices that appeared at roughly the same time. The handicam for example. And they mentioned Windows when talking about non-text interfaces when there were lots of GUIs that showed up within say a three year window (and not just Apple's, either).

I did notice (now I remember) they've finally got new ad 'bumpers', thank god. They'd had the previous ones since entertainment was delivered via radio by a man in a dinner jacket.
  • SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought they would have shown a VCR of some format, they were revolutionary.:)

I had a TI 30 calculator, Xmas pressie back in 78.:(
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spruce wrote: »
    Thought they would have shown a VCR of some format, they were revolutionary.:)

I had a TI 30 calculator, Xmas pressie back in 78.:(

no VCR but they did have sky+ on there.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone catch it ?

It was a "Top 20 Greatest Gadgets of All Time" countdown. I fast forwarded through the vast majority of it myself.

Yeah the mandatory mention of apple saw the iphone and ipad got in the top 20 lol.
  • ZaichikZaichik Posts: 462
    Forum Member

Which they stated was the first PVR. Even in this country, TiVo was around before Sky+.
  • Dr ZDr Z Posts: 3,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell does that Otis have a job in TV? He must surely have friends in very high places.... well, at Channel 5 at least.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Which Tivo pre-dated by a couple of year ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which Tivo pre-dated by a couple of year ;)
    With due respect to the points made, it wasn't a 'the 20 gadgets that were first in various categories' list. Being first doesn't make you most influential or best, it just means you got there ahead of everyone else. Often with tech that means your product isn't quite as good as those that come immediately after because you effectively beta test the technology in public and your competitors take advantage of your experiences/failures.

For example, having owned both a first generation Tivo and a first generation Sky+box, IMO the Sky+ was a more refined, more user friendly and overall better experience. Having recently had some limited experience of VM's version of Tivo vs. Sky Q, I'd say that's pretty much still true. The fact Tivo was first to market years ago doesn't mean anything, frankly. Also let's not forget that Tivo was initially such a failure that it effectively disappeared from Europe altogether for years, only to finally reappear when VM took it on as a partner technology.

Equally, there were tablet computers before the iPad, but they were a disaster zone. They were genuinely terrible. People forget quite how bad they were. I had to support a bunch of them as part of my job at the time and would have been overjoyed to have just thrown them all in a skip and given the staff laptops instead. The fact they were early to market didn't make them usable, functional or reliable. It just meant they were crap, because nobody knew what they were doing at that time.

You don't automatically get to be best by being first. Rembrandt's finger paintings as a four year old aren't by definition better than 'The Night Watch'.
  • Dr ZDr Z Posts: 3,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »

Equally, there were tablet computers before the iPad, but they were a disaster zone. They were genuinely terrible. People forget quite how bad they were. I had to support a bunch of them as part of my job at the time and would have been overjoyed to have just thrown them all in a skip and given the staff laptops instead. The fact they were early to market didn't make them usable, functional or reliable. It just meant they were crap, because nobody knew what they were doing at that time.

You don't automatically get to be best by being first. Rembrandt's finger paintings as a four year old aren't by definition better than 'The Night Watch'.

Absolutely! This is a thing that often pops up when people get upset about being given to Apple. It makes me wonder if people ever tried using these things? Especially the ones that came before the slightly optimised but still awful UMPC thing.

Silly little thing like too many moving parts requiring battery power, combined with suitably low powered specs giving you a device you can't afford to leave on, but needs about 5 minutes to boot up too!

And then things like capacitive multi touch and kinetic scrolling - people conveniently forget that in the decades of non-evolution before Apple got involved you couldn't swipe around a page or up and down a list, you had to use scrolling bars!

The iPad wasn't about the invention of the tablet, it was about making it usable by using

Solid State, fast booting, power efficient.
    Capacitive multi touch
    Finger centric UI
    Lightweight (therefore suitable) OS
    Ecosystem of support & apps.
  • ZaichikZaichik Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Also let's not forget that Tivo was initially such a failure that it effectively disappeared from Europe altogether for years, only to finally reappear when VM took it on as a partner technology.

Arguably, at least part of the reason for that was because Sky was in charge of marketing and supporting it and they clearly decided that they didn't want it competing with their own device.

Anyway, the fact is that the Gadget Show explicitly said Sky+ was the first device of its kind, which it wasn't.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    With due respect to the points made, it wasn't a 'the 20 gadgets that were first in various categories' list. Being first doesn't make you most influential or best, it just means you got there ahead of everyone else.
    Oh yes. I know that. Was just saying. Guess I'm just still annoyed with Sky for pulling out of the deal they did with Tivo to launch their own Sky+.
    Also let's not forget that Tivo was initially such a failure that it effectively disappeared from Europe altogether for years....
    Yes, but only because Sky pulled out of the deal they signed. Tivo was the better system as it was platform-independent.
    Zaichik wrote: »
    Arguably, at least part of the reason for that was because Sky was in charge of marketing and supporting it and they clearly decided that they didn't want it competing with their own device.
    Exactly right.

Anyway, the fact is that the Gadget Show explicitly said Sky+ was the first device of its kind, which it wasn't.[/QUOTE]
    Which was my (badly made) point.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaichik wrote: »
    Anyway, the fact is that the Gadget Show explicitly said Sky+ was the first device of its kind, which it wasn't.

I’d have to go back and check, but I don’t think those were the exact words used...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only watched the feature on Stockholm on last night's show. Skipped the rest as it was of no real interest. I suspect this will be the pattern going forward now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell you what is ludicrous - the show last night had a one minute long advert break in it. Including the PC world 'bumpers' there was actually only room for one advert. That 'advert' was actually a trailer for a film Channel 5 are showing this evening. This trailer also appeared in other advert breaks in the show.

I mean, really?